PDA

View Full Version : So my cousin died....

The Desperado
07-31-2008, 09:17 PM
....in the weirdest way possible.

Linky (http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2008/07/31/story_firefighter.html?sid=102)

But, the news isn't giving the full details. He stepped out of his truck and stepped onto a power wire (which they still don't know why it was even on the ground) basically incinerating himself and causing the truck to explode.

Weird.

rock_nog
07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Dear God, what!? Holy, holy crap. That's terrible, and weird, and terrible! I'm so sorry!

Archibaldo
07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't mean to come off sounding like a prick, but that's kind of ironic. A firefighter dying from electricity.

Brasel
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm sorry man...sucks having a family member die...

Din
07-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm so sorry. It must be really hard having one of your family members die. I hope you'll feel better soon.

The Desperado
07-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Oh I'm fine. I only met the guy once, like 15 years ago so its not like i was close with him at all. I just thought I'd share how weird his death was.

Breaker
07-31-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't mean to come off sounding like a prick, but that's kind of ironic. A firefighter dying from electricity.

no.. not really.

Modus Ponens
08-01-2008, 12:38 AM
no.. not really.

Maybe he meant that he was strong vs. fire but weak vs. electricity?

Note that my tone is upbeat only because you emphasize not being close to the guy. I know that a death in the family, however distant, can still be tragic and upsetting.

Dechipher
08-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Hey man, that sucks. That's a wacky fuckin way to go though.

erm2003
08-01-2008, 02:50 AM
How horrible. Sorry to hear about that man.

mrz84
08-01-2008, 10:39 AM
My condolences on your loss. That's gotta be the weirdest way that I've heard of somebody dying though.....

ctrl-alt-delete
08-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow. Sorry to hear that, man.

Prrkitty
08-01-2008, 01:47 PM
My condolences also ... on your families loss. Death is never easy... much as we all know it's inevitable (hope I spelled that right).

SpacemanDan
08-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry for your loss... It is one odd way to go, however.

Archibaldo
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
no.. not really.

Well, maybe not ironic. But it's definitely something. You'd expect a fire fighter to die fighting a fire but he dies to another element. I dunno. I thought it was ironic. What ever.

I'm still pretty sure that's irony though.

Beldaran
08-01-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm still pretty sure that's irony though.

It's not ironic that a firefighter got electrocuted. "Ironic" would be if a firefighter accidentally lit himself on fire and died.

Pineconn
08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Now, it would likely be ironic if, say, an electrician was just driving down the road, stopped, and stepped onto a random downed power line.

But yeah, sorry to hear this. It's very devastating, I'm sure.

King Aquamentus
08-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Wait... he was incinerated by the electric shock and then his truck exploded?? Short of having the Incredible Hulk involved, that's a pretty cool way to die... regardless of how little you knew him though, it doesn't sound like there's even a body to look at anymore, so I'm sorry to hear it.

ZTC
08-02-2008, 12:13 AM
My condolances. Never heard of anyone going like that before. :odd:

The Desperado
08-02-2008, 01:33 AM
it doesn't sound like there's even a body to look at anymore, so I'm sorry to hear it.

I talked to my other cousin today. He went to the morgue. He said that there was basically only some ashes and a little bit of a skeleton. I didn't think power lines had that much power in them.

As for how the powerlines got on the ground, it appears as if he accidentally backed into the pole when the back end of the dump truck was up. But he, as a fireman, would know better than to get out of a truck when powerlines are laying around.

biggiy05
08-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I talked to my other cousin today. He went to the morgue. He said that there was basically only some ashes and a little bit of a skeleton. I didn't think power lines had that much power in them.

As for how the powerlines got on the ground, it appears as if he accidentally backed into the pole when the back end of the dump truck was up. But he, as a fireman, would know better than to get out of a truck when powerlines are laying around.

You were related to Phil? Holy shit....

I volunteered at Monroe a few years back and took some runs with Phil, I've grown up around the guy.

To make things a little more clear or at least try to.

He was delivering gravel, had the bed of the truck up but he didn't see the wires because of the trees overhead. Backed into the wires and the truck caught on fire. He was a very smart man but the cab was on fire along with the whole truck, his first instinct was to get out of the cab and roll around.

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-07-31-0010.html

I had to go back into Johnstown yesterday and seeing all the flags at half staff really made it set in that he's gone.:(

moocow
08-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry about your loss :(

Aegix Drakan
08-07-2008, 09:30 AM
0_0 Holy shit...

That is one weird way to go out.

...Anyway, condolences for the loss. Must have been quite a shock to his relatives.

...oh gosh...pun not intended...NOT intended.

King Aquamentus
08-14-2008, 04:12 PM

That sounds more like the ray guns from Mars Attacks.

Dann Woolf
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Not to be a dick, but...

Death by exploding truck? That's a pretty fucking badass way to go.