PDA

View Full Version : [846] ZQuest freezes after Hibernation

pkmnfrk
07-31-2008, 07:32 PM

I tend to always Hibernate my computer, since it starts up much faster that way, but I do notice that on occasion, ZQuest will freeze up after restoring Windows. The cursor still moves in the window, but everything else is frozen.

I do not know if the same thing happens in Zelda Classic proper, as I do not tend to leave that open as long as ZQuest.

Dark Nation
11-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Still happening?

Dark Nation
11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
No reply = Limbo

pkmnfrk
11-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Oops, missed this by a few days. I just tried it now, and it didn't happen.

I think it may be a timing thing. Eg, if I leave it hibernated for a few hours, then ZQuest would take a few hours to recover (or something).

A prime time to test this would be at work tonight ;)

pkmnfrk
11-15-2008, 12:40 AM
And, yes, it froze on restore. I'll leave it running overnight, to see if it eventually thaws out.

Edit: Hmm, it thawed out pretty quickly. Only about 20-30 minutes. Curious...

Nicholas Steel
11-15-2008, 03:21 AM
the longer you hibernate, the longer it takes to wake up? sounds logical to me ;) anyways, why not put your computer to sleep instead of hibernating?

pkmnfrk
11-15-2008, 08:23 AM
the longer you hibernate, the longer it takes to wake up? sounds logical to me ;)

Well, my initial thought was that it was outright freezing, and thus would never wake up.

anyways, why not put your computer to sleep instead of hibernating?

Because that doesn't shut the computer down. Hibernation writes out all memory to disk, and then turns the computer off. Sleep just makes the computer use less power.

Nicholas Steel
11-15-2008, 08:41 AM
does your computer POST when returning from hibernation? the computer is still powered.

pkmnfrk
11-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Franpa, I am not stupid. Yes, my computer POSTs when coming out of hibernation. No, it doesn't when coming out of suspend.

If I hibernate my computer, I can then unplug it from the wall, seal it into an air tight box, bury it underground, and leave it for a century for my descendants to dig up, so they can see exactly how I left my computer. Well, except the time. The BIOS battery will have died long ago. But, that's beside the point >_>

Dark Nation
11-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Is the program in the foreground when you are entering hibernation mode? Is it minimized or normal?

pkmnfrk
11-16-2008, 04:23 PM
It's in the background, but not minimized.

pkmnfrk
12-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Bump with new info:

Today, I forgot to close ZQuest before I hibernated for the day. When I got home from work, I discovered that ZQuest was not frozen. I had the subscreen editor open. However, when I then closed that editor, and ZQuest was back at the map editor, it then froze as usual.

Curious.