PDA

View Full Version : Question about shutters

DubReno
07-30-2008, 09:53 PM
How would I get shutter doors to open when all the enemies have been defeated? I've been messing with zquest all day and looking up a few tutorials, but they only mention moving blocks to open them. Is it possible? I'm using 2.10.

Help would be much appreciated.

erm2003
07-30-2008, 10:44 PM
You don't have to do anything. Shutter doors do that by default. It's when you want other things to happen (such as pushing a block to trigger the doors) that you need a screen flag checked.

DubReno
07-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Ok, so I made sure there was no block moving flag or anything. Just the enemies. When I kill them off, the door still refuses to open. I think I'm missing something so easy I'm going to want to smack myself once i figure it out. Thanks for the help btw.

EDIT: Yeah. I do wanna smack myself. I had Blocks> Shutters selected for that room. Ugh, again thanks.

EDIT 2: Another question, (just editing this post so I don't double post) Is it possible to open shutter doors with the flute? I want to create an area of this dungeon that requires back tracking from further into the game. Is it possible?

Elmensajero
07-31-2008, 01:19 AM
Well, there is a couple things you can do. The easiest way is to have a room with the Screen Data Flag "Whistle->Stairs" checked, place the stair marker where you want them to appear, and set the warp (I think Tile Warp, though it may be Side Warp) for either a passageway to go to the next room or directly to the next room. If you really want to control the shutters with the whistle though, you have to set the rule "Freeform Dungeons" on page 2, set whistle flags everywhere on the screen that you want the user to be able to play the whistle on to open the door, and then use secret flags on the shutter door itself, with the Secret Combos relating to those flags set to walkable combos. If you don't understand what I am even talking about, just ask, and I will make a quick example quest demonstrating both methods (sorry if I don't respond for a while, I do work 40+ hours :D)

DubReno
07-31-2008, 01:50 AM
I think I'll just use the cheap way, because I don't want to use the free form dungeons options. Thanks a lot for the information. I'll try it out tomorrow, since I'm done messing with this for today.

DubReno
07-31-2008, 07:33 AM
I'd rather stay away from the free form dungeons for now, so I guess I'll just stick with using the stairs method. Thanks for the info Elmensajero, should help me make a better quest. (still learning, just started yesterday). So far I got level 1 with the advanced area and a little bit of the overworld complete. Not bad for a days work, considering it was my first day using it ever. :D

DubReno
08-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok, quick replys don't seem to be working for me. That or i don't know how they work. Anyways, thanks for the info Elmensajero, should become useful in later games. And that would be completely great if you could make that example with
with actually controlling the shutters because after playing a few quests with it, i've decided to use free form dungeons. Just take your time, don't do it like it needs to be done. :P