PDA

View Full Version : Four Week Quest Contest

Russ
07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm going to try to host a contest! We It is going to be a lot like Pure ZC's two week quest contest, with a few changes. The two biggest changes are
A.That it is twice as long (four weeks to make a quest instead of two) and
B. Not only is this quest vs. quest, it's AGN vs. PZC! This thread is being posted on AGN and Pure ZC. That way, you'll be going against people from both sites. There will be an award for best quest and for best quest-making site (the site with the most votes overall).

Here are the rules:

General Rules:
You may use any ZC version.
You cannot start until August 1st.
And lastly, you Absolutely Can Not use the new DoR set, PTUX, or Akkabus's Pure set. Just to make things more interesting.

Overworld Rules:
It must have a semi-explorable overworld.
The overworld may not be a dungeon junction. This basically means you can't make one big dungeon with a central connection station.
The overworld must be at least 4x4.

Dungeon Rules:
There must be at least four dungeons.
Each dungeon must be at least 8 screens.
You can use big, belated overworlds instead of dungeons.
You can make them as big as you want, and you can include as many as you want.

Submission Rules:
You must PM your submission to me.
The submission must have a link to the quest, some story info, and general information, preferably with screenshots, just like an Expo entry.
Submissions are due by September 1st, at 11:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time.

Anybody who is going to enter, please tell me so I can add you to the list.

Current list:

AGN:
Russ
ZTC (NekoArc at Pure ZC)
lucas92
blaman
Tobias Daboi
mighty darknut
jman2050
BigJoe

Pure ZC:
fuzzyman
Fire Wizzrobe
Nuvo
Moonwhisper
Lord Ike
Darth Pikachu
nicklegends

ZTC
07-29-2008, 12:18 AM
"Four Weel" confused me at first ;) Maybe I'll use this as an excuse to actually make and complete a quest. Since I belong to both forums, how would that catagorize me? :p Nonetheless, I'll give it a shot with my trusty copy of version 1.84.

Russ
07-29-2008, 01:02 AM
I'll put you in under AGN since you have more posts here, and we need some more AGN contestants.

Shazza Dani
07-29-2008, 01:58 AM
My past record of completing quests tells me that I shouldn't bother entering this contest. Also, I have a fledgling project that I'm working on and I don't want to draw my attention away from it.

The_Amaster
07-29-2008, 09:41 AM
I'm in. Perfect chance to make use of Freedom's Adventure set in an actual quest.

lucas92
07-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm in. I'll be using the gameboy tileset. ;)

Russ
07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Okay, now we have five people for Pure ZC and four for AGN. This is working out better than I expected.

The_Amaster
07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Hmm, actually, thinking things over, is a heavily modified version of the old DoR allowed?

Russ
07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Hmm, actually, thinking things over, is a heavily modified version of the old DoR allowed?
Yes, as long as it did not start from the new DoR, it's allowed.

BTW, it's now five vs. five.

The_Amaster
07-29-2008, 02:19 PM
And new DoR is the one with all the fancy grass and stuff, right? Just clarifying that we're using he same terms.

Russ
07-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Yes.

Old DoR: http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=48
New DoR: http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=69

I personally like the old one better, because I hate the new grass.

Russ
07-29-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I need to say something. I might be gone for a good bit of August. If I am, I would like Amaster to run the contest in my absence. It might not be an issue, but just in case, it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan. And Amaster, if I do have to leave, cordinate with the Pure ZC member Nuvo, as he will run the Pure ZC part of the contest if I am absent.

The_Amaster
07-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Certainly. Can do. And thanks.
Although I can't think of much that will need doing until September 1st when the entries go in.

ZTC
07-29-2008, 11:42 PM
mighty_darknut, if you think your trackrecord is bad, try mine:
7 years ago, I started a quest titled Warped Land and worked on and off with it for quite a while. That quite a while is still going :p Must be some kind of record or something.

Anthus
07-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Count me in. I have nothing better to do.

Shazza Dani
08-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I guess you can sign me up. Don't be too disappointed if I don't finish it though. If only I could use Pure... =[ Are the old versions of Pure allowed???

EDIT:

Try the old DoR or an older version of Pure. The Gameboy tileset is good. Freedom's Adventure Set is nice. Sheesh, we have f pages of tilesets in the database, I say you can't use two, and you can't find any? Good grief!

I saw this in the topic at PureZC, so I guess that means I can use an old Pure. =] It will be heavily modified, of course.

Anthus
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
I guess you can sign me up. Don't be too disappointed if I don't finish it though. If only I could use Pure... =[ Are the old versions of Pure allowed???

EDIT:

I saw this in the topic at PureZC, so I guess that means I can use an old Pure. =] It will be heavily modified, of course.

^ Thanks for that, I was actually just about to ask too.

Russ
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Let the contest begin! I'll be gone for a week or two, so Amaster, you're in charge for now.

Shazza Dani
08-01-2008, 10:15 PM
On second thought, I might use NES-style custom graphics instead of Pure. I haven't even come up with a concept for my quest yet, so I haven't decided what kind of tiles I'm going to use. I need to start thinking; I've already wasted one day. D:

ZTC
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I need to stop Disagea so I can start on this tomorrow. Looks like I can't find 1.84, so I might base mine off of 2.10 and rip out everything except the tiles from my old quest so I have something to work with. Yay LttP graphics.

jman2050
08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm in.

The_Amaster
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Okay, Russ is out of town then, so I'll contact the PZC guy and we'll get you on the list.

Russ
08-04-2008, 01:04 AM
jman, you're in now.

Shazza Dani
08-05-2008, 11:23 AM
On second thought, I might use NES-style custom graphics instead of Pure. I haven't even come up with a concept for my quest yet, so I haven't decided what kind of tiles I'm going to use. I need to start thinking; I've already wasted one day. D:

Making the custom graphics is going way too slow, so I'm falling back to the Pure tileset. Just a little update if anyone cares...

My progress is about 0%. So how's everyone else doing? Anyone else not started yet?

The_Amaster
08-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm almost finished with the first dungeon, and I have the second planned out. No start on the OW yet though...

Russ
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
My progress is about 0%. So how's everyone else doing? Anyone else not started yet?
I have 2 and one half screens done. Progress is slow. But I'll finish this quest if it kills me!

SpacemanDan
08-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I've finished my first dungeon, and am almost starting one the second.

Russ
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I've got four screens. I need to kick this thing into high gear if I want to finish in time.

The_Amaster
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
*sigh* It is with a heavy heart that I must announce my dropping out of the contest. See, turns out I have AP English summer work to do, and I just found out yesterday, but I've been supposed to have been working on it for two months. I'm gonna have to work like mad to finish in time.

...crap.

Russ
08-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Well, I was thinking of dropping out, but now that you're out, I'm going to work twice as hard. I don't care if I can't finsih by the deadline, I want to finish it!

Shazza Dani
08-09-2008, 05:14 AM
I just want this clarified; "There must be at least four dungeons." Does that mean I can have three Triforce dungeons and one final dungeon? I'm pretty sure that's right, I just want to make sure.

Russ
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, that's right.
Edit: Post 2,600!

ZTC
08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
It has been almost two weeks and I really haven't been on my computer, much less work with ZC. With this, I sadly withdraw from the contest. Nonetheless, I do hae inspiration for a quest to work on whenever I get the chance to do so.

Russ
08-12-2008, 10:40 PM
We also have two drop outs at Pure, and probably me. Oh well, at least there's still (for the most part) the same amount of people on each team.

Shazza Dani
08-13-2008, 12:51 AM
You should edit this list to show who's actually still in it.

And an update for me: I've made virtually no progress in ZQuest, just a lot of brainstorming quest ideas. It's still possible for me to make a four dungeon quest if I work quickly enough, and I don't intend to drop out, however the chances I'll actually finish in time are probably 50/50 at best.

SpacemanDan
08-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Ugh. I've been having so much down-time that I'm seriously behind schedule. I'll have to take a few things out and get my arse in gear if I hope to make the deadline. But I don't intend to give-up.

bigjoe
08-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Well shoot. I really did want to come through on this, but have decided that the quest I am making should be elaborated with more time than I have.

I didnt think I would, but forfeiting.

SpacemanDan
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
There's no way I'll be able to finish 3 dungeons in a week, so I'll have to drop out.

Russ
08-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Just a reminder for anybody who is still going, submissions are due tomorrow.

Shazza Dani
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Whaaat? No, they're due Monday. I think. Tomorrow is the 31st.

Russ
09-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Okay, submissions are due today before midnight Pacific Time. Anybody have something to submit?

Shazza Dani
09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I have nothing. >.> That one screen I submitted to SotW is the only thing I did in ZQuest since this contest started.

Russ
09-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I think everybody, both here and at Pure ZC, hasn't got a thing to show. Dang, I was hoping this would work. Maybe next time I'll make it easier.

bobrocks95
09-01-2008, 05:09 PM
From the number of drop-outs I've seen here, I would be very surprised if the contest was able to hold up at all.

Gleeok
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Next time how about a 4-year quest contest? :p

bobrocks95
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
lol. There definitely shouldn't be any drop-outs then :p. You should seriously start it now and bump it weekly to make sure you don't forget.