PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur 4

Archibaldo
07-26-2008, 05:08 PM
So apparently Darth Vader is exclusive to the PS3 and Yoda is exclusive to the 360.

This just really pisses me off that I won't be able to play as Darth Vader.

MasterSwordUltima
07-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Hahah, I will be able to. Whats the release date, 29th?

Yoshiman
07-26-2008, 11:32 PM
So apparently Darth Vader is exclusive to the PS3 and Yoda is exclusive to the 360.

This just really pisses me off that I won't be able to play as Darth Vader.
I don't know, there's rumors of Vader and Yoda becoming downloadable. Plus this video. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=yt0YWAmmks8)

I could really care less about the Star Wars characters, though. Taki, Setsuka, and Lizardman is where it's at.

And yes, release date is the 29th.

MottZilla
07-27-2008, 03:44 AM
I saw the video of Yoda & Darth Vader today too. I'm not surprised by that. However I still like the PS3 for its D-Pad better for the game. But I could live with the Analog now that I think about it. But I'm not planning on picking up the game till the price drops or I get much more money to spend on games.

Modus Ponens
07-27-2008, 05:11 AM
I've always been a fan of Kilik. I like staffs. Big, long, hard ones.

I also like cocks.

I should probably go to sleep.

Archibaldo
07-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Vader better be downloadable. I'll be picking up this game on tuesday when it comes out. If they don't run out of stock.

MasterSwordUltima
07-27-2008, 03:11 PM
No store that deals specifically with video games will be out of stock. My mall has two Gamestops and both had shelves full of Brawl when it came out, and they were still full a week later.

DarkDragoonX
07-27-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't give a damn about the Star Wars characters. Been using Siegfried since forever (well, except for Nightmare in SC2, but only because Siegfried wasn't an option) and I don't intend to stop any time soon.

My only problem is that I'm going to have to pick up another arcade stick now, Because the d-pad on the 360 controller sucks hard.

Archibaldo
07-27-2008, 10:21 PM
People who claim they are good with Nightmare piss me off. Everybody is good with Nightmare. It's easy when he's such a cheap character. In SC2 he had one move that could knock you down and before you could get back up or roll out of the way he would be able to use the same move over and over again.

SUCCESSOR
07-28-2008, 07:50 AM
People who claim they are good with Nightmare piss me off. Everybody is good with Nightmare. It's easy when he's such a cheap character. In SC2 he had one move that could knock you down and before you could get back up or roll out of the way he would be able to use the same move over and over again.

That's why when you play with friends you have a "2X Rule" which means: You can only use the same move/combo in succession twice or I get to punch you in the nose. Because I believe at least half of the characters in SC2 had a move/combo that could be done over and over without being stopped.

SC2 is an angry game, which means I get very angry while playing it esp with others.

I havn't played any other SC games but I certainly would love to check ok SC4 someday.

Archibaldo
07-28-2008, 05:06 PM
That's why when you play with friends you have a "2X Rule" which means: You can only use the same move/combo in succession twice or I get to punch you in the nose. Because I believe at least half of the characters in SC2 had a move/combo that could be done over and over without being stopped.

SC2 is an angry game, which means I get very angry while playing it esp with others.

I havn't played any other SC games but I certainly would love to check ok SC4 someday.

I've actually thrown controllers at my friends during fighting games. And my brother and I got into a mega fist fight because of a James Bond game.

But that 2X rule sounds like a good idea.

One day to go!

chao-hellsing
07-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes it greatly decreases bloodshed.

Personally, I'll still be using Siggy and Sueng Mina.
Unless the Kunai weapon is there. That's my fav custom.

Yoshiman
07-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Unless the Kunai weapon is there. That's my fav custom.
Sadly, they took out the Create-a-Soul disciplines, save for the Rapier one (which Amy uses). Even though they kinda sucked for serious play, they were fun to play around with. It would've been awesome if they were refined, but I don't really get why they took them out completely.

And apparently, you can play dress-up (http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image0061da7.jpg) with the main characters. What's funny, is that if you remove Ivy's top from her default outfit, she actually has more clothing covering her chest.

chao-hellsing
07-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Man that sucks. I could beat anybody with the kunai.

Oh well.

MottZilla
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Making up rules just shows your inability to play the game. Sure some games have cheap tactics, but rarely does a game actually give you no chance at all. I remember friends complaining in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat about "pinning them in the corner". In reality, they sucked so bad it was easy to beat their ass into the corner and keep them there. It's not MY fault they suck. Had I been playing the Computer AI it could have easily gotten out of the situation or avoided it entirely. But I guess if you and the person you are playing agree then whatever.

chao-hellsing
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Well the beating of people didn't last. I don't use cheap tricks in games. I guess I wasn't quite clear.

Still you have to admit, having all those extra weapon styles made the game more fun.

SUCCESSOR
07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Making up rules just shows your inability to play the game. Sure some games have cheap tactics, but rarely does a game actually give you no chance at all. I remember friends complaining in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat about "pinning them in the corner". In reality, they sucked so bad it was easy to beat their ass into the corner and keep them there. It's not MY fault they suck. Had I been playing the Computer AI it could have easily gotten out of the situation or avoided it entirely. But I guess if you and the person you are playing agree then whatever.

No see if you use the same move or combo over and over again and nothing else because of it's ease and that it is (almost) impossible to block, YOU SUCK. Simple as that.

rock_nog
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I confess, I know absolutely nothing about the Soul Calibur series, but if that is true, then it's a major game fault and I don't understand how the hell it could get as popular as it is, being so flawed. It's highly likely that I know nothing of what I speak, but in my personal experience, most of the time, when people complain about "exploits" in a game, it's because they suck (no offense intended).

I mean, going back to Doom, people to this day complain about the BFG, but the honest truth is, it takes a helluva lot of skill to use the damn thing, because as soon as people know you've got it, they're gonna be gunning for you, and it takes a damn long time to fire. Fact is, a noob given a BFG will score no more frags with it than he will with any other weapon. Or take deathmatch in Half-Life 2 - at the very start, people endlessly complained about how unbalanced the gravity gun was. However, the fact is that, while powerful, projectiles fired with the gravity gun travel slowly enough to be easily dodged, or even caught and fired back at the attacker. As a result, in a few short weeks, the "issue" of the unbalanced gravity gun quickly faded as players grew in skill.

DarkDragoonX
07-28-2008, 10:49 PM
...in my personal experience, most of the time, when people complain about "exploits" in a game, it's because they suck (no offense intended).

This is true. One of the most common things newcomers to Soul Calibur complain about is Raphael's 6BBB series. It's easy to see coming, and it's extremely easy to GI, but new players always seem to have a really hard time with it. As a result, you inevitably see many people either bitching about the attack, or playing as Raphael and doing nothing but spam said attack.

Sooner or later, these people either learn enough to progress to a higher level of play, or quit.

MottZilla
07-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Exactly. If you can do the same cheap move over and over again, it's the NOOB's fault. The computer AI would not be beaten so easily. If the AI can get out of button mashing/cheap moves, then you can too.

vegeta1215
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Mott, your post reminds me of when I used to play MvsC2 in the arcade and people would be cheap with people like Cable and Cyclops, and just use the beam hyper moves - I think you know what I mean. I love it though, because I tear them apart with little ol' Stryder and his weak defense. (one beam hyper move would nearly kill him if you're not careful)

SUCCESSOR
07-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Exactly. If you can do the same cheap move over and over again, it's the NOOB's fault. The computer AI would not be beaten so easily. If the AI can get out of button mashing/cheap moves, then you can too.

The computer AI can be beaten doing it. I've done it. It wasn't with Raphael (I never could use him) and I don't remember who I used as it has been at years since I played, but with at least three characters you can trap the AI with spam attacks even at the most difficult setting. At least half the characters can be used to "spam attack" making it so you had to be a significantly better player to get out of it. Such things make it difficult for a new player to get any good unless he/she has a chance to play alone or with someone who is not a moron.

I know a lot of you have no social life and thus have no problem with this.

MottZilla
07-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Well if you can indeed trap anyone with the same attack over and over, that's a game design fault. If all you have to do it knock them down once or whatever and just keep hitting the same button that's definitely a design fault. But most fighters that are popular don't have such faults.

Zank_Tripper
07-30-2008, 11:15 PM
According to the IGN Review (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/894/894577p1.html), Yoda seems to be really overpowered. I'm kinda upset about that, but I don't suppose it'll make a big difference as I'll be getting the PS3 version anyway. Also Hilde is supposed to be really fun. I'm looking forward to the new Character Creation mode as well. I tend to have a lot of fun making copies of my friends and in the game and pitting them against each other.

SUCCESSOR
07-31-2008, 12:55 AM
According to the IGN Review (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/894/894577p1.html), Yoda seems to be really overpowered. I'm kinda upset about that, but I don't suppose it'll make a big difference as I'll be getting the PS3 version anyway. Also Hilde is supposed to be really fun. I'm looking forward to the new Character Creation mode as well. I tend to have a lot of fun making copies of my friends and in the game and pitting them against each other.

You may have some issues...

Zank_Tripper
07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Hey, that's not all that I've done. In Soul Calibur 3 I created Ghandi, Albert Einstein, Adolf Hitler, Jesus, and the Pope as well. There's nothing better than watching Jesus lay the smackdown on Ghandi or vice-versa.

Beldaran
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
As I know Zank Tripper in real life, and have played his copy of Soul Caliber, I can vouch for the rather disturbing level of accuracy of his character creations.

There's nothing quite like watching Albert Einstein beat the shit out of Jesus with a pair of nun chucks.

Archibaldo
07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
I've been playing with Yoda mostly and he's not that over powered. He's got this force shield thing but it's hard to use, the timing needs to be more than perfect. Like down to the mili-second. And characters like Kilik and Astaroth dominate him due to the reach of their weapons. I've been practicing with him hardcore because he's awesome, but his small size doesn't help him very well. The Apprentice isn't too bad either.

Zank_Tripper
08-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I nearly bought it today, but I decided not to as I only have one PS3 controller. If I were to buy both, I would have to spend around $110 which I'm not comfortable with spending at the moment. Maybe some other time.

Until then, I'll just have to be content with playing more Metal Gear Solid 4 :)

MottZilla
08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Couldn't you get a wired controller or something? It is stunning how much controllers cost these days compared to the old days. And now they're all made in china, and yet they still cost more...

Archibaldo
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Seriously I saw a wired 360 controller at EB used at $40. What up with that?

Anybody notice the abundance of Kiliks being used online? The other day I play like 6 matches in a row and each person used Kilik.

Yoshiman
08-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Anybody notice the abundance of Kiliks being used online? The other day I play like 6 matches in a row and each person used Kilik.
I actually haven't played against any Kiliks. I've been throw-spammed by a Cervantes, and fought three Takis in a row, but never Kilik. It could be partially because I've only played online about 10 times due to getting lag every time.

But my guess is that the reason most people use Kilik is because of his range and his one poking attack.

From what I've noticed from playing online though, is that apparently no one can get Lizardman out of his crawling stance. I won a match by simply staying in crawl mode and attacking their legs.

Also, I created Ronald McDonald that uses Taki's moveset. It must be a major blow to someone's ego to find out that their cliche badass character just got the snot kicked out of them by a fast food clown.

MasterSwordUltima
08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Am I the only one laughing at MottZilla's talk of using the same move over and over to be lame and how his avatar is freaking Battletoad's doing that very thing?

AlexMax
08-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I've got a new drinking game. Take a shot every time you see a terrible representation of a Street Fighter or Final Fantasy character in online play. Two if it's Ryu, Ken, Cloud or Sephiroth.

But my guess is that the reason most people use Kilik is because of his range and his one poking attack.

Kelik was my favorite from Soul Calibur 2, mostly because of one of his 'up' attacks would raise the bo up then slam it down on the opponents head and for some reason the CPU would just sit there stunned and let the bow come down on them. I'd spam it, they would lose the match and hit the ground and I'd still be doing it to their limp bodies. Good times.

Making up rules just shows your inability to play the game. Sure some games have cheap tactics, but rarely does a game actually give you no chance at all. I remember friends complaining in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat about "pinning them in the corner". In reality, they sucked so bad it was easy to beat their ass into the corner and keep them there. It's not MY fault they suck.

You must be a blast at parties. Whatever happened to deliberately turning your skill level down and letting them have a chance so the game can be fun for them too?

MottZilla
08-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Going easy on people is lame and no fun. You can only ease up so much before you are just bullshitting them. It's better for everyone to play with someone actually on your skill level.

MSU, the nut punch is the only move you need. ;)

Archibaldo
08-04-2008, 04:55 AM
Also, I created Ronald McDonald that uses Taki's moveset. It must be a major blow to someone's ego to find out that their cliche badass character just got the snot kicked out of them by a fast food clown.

Heh, I made the hulk. I made the biggest guy you could, gave him Maxi's move set and made him green and gave him nothing but purple pants. There are more characters I'd like to make but I need more equipment.

But yeah, Kilik's poking attack is a bitch and a half. I can some times get in up close quickly but not all the time.

AlexMax
08-05-2008, 03:48 AM
Going easy on people is lame and no fun.

Whatever man, they're your friends.

Modus Ponens
08-05-2008, 04:21 AM
Look, I say, use the game's built-in handicapping functionality, or ask the other player to suck it up. I mean, holding back is lame. Nobody likes to play against someone who's pulling his punches: even if you win, it doesn't feel like a victory. But if you set your health low and theirs high, or something, then that can really even things out nicely.

That's how I would want it.

SUCCESSOR
08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
I enjoy holding back. Especially playing with my wife, she isn't a huge gamer. I can blow her away in Mario Cart battle,Any FPS she like a slug waitng to be splattered, but oddly enough she can kick my ass at SC2. The point is if she isn't having fun than playing with her won't be fun. If I have someone over playing video games with me I much rather them enjoy the experience than show off how much I can kick ass.

MottZilla
08-06-2008, 03:07 PM
I get what you're saying, but I haven't played against anyone that wasn't a real gamer in ages. You only have to hold back if your friend is a newbie, none of mine are. The last time I played a friend that was really back was in Gears of War where I guess I held back as I guess I was handicapping myself by only killing them in the most gruesome ways and never any lame methods. I guess that counts.

Cloral
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
This game was good enough to get our lunchtime game playing started again at work. What the better players have been doing when playing against those of us who are less experienced is using characters they aren't very familiar with. That serves as a simple but effective handicap that keeps the match from being a complete blowout.

Breaker
08-08-2008, 02:19 PM
i just picked this game up. it's the first fighter game that i've purchased since Mortal Kombat 3. it's definitely worth it too. the character creator is surprisingly extensive and very fun to play with.