PDA

View Full Version : You know what I always wanted to do?

ShadowTiger
07-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Y'know what I've always wanted to do in ZC?

I've always wanted to create an ending to a quest, where Link's fallen allies' spirits join him in the final fight, and it powers him up so dramatically that the actual player him/herself actually can't help but shed a tear at the events that just occurred. Well, it couldn't hurt that there would have been epically dramatic events leading up to that point as well. Think Terranigma, Final Fantasy 6, etc. Extremely, extremely dramatic events take place during the game, and we remember them. We can't possibly allow ourselves to forget them, and they're with us up until the very last moment of the game.

Yes. That moment. The moment of the quest where the big bad superpowered Ganondorf has already used and corrupted the Triforce, and is sitting way up there on his heavenly throne, looking down at the world which now bows before him. You, Link, a mere mortal, must destroy that epic force of destruction.

You have to feel the desperation there. You have to be fully aware of the likeliness of you not only losing, but having never had the smallest chance against him.

So as you face Ganondorf, and he strikes you down for what feels like the last time, the world turns completely white, and one by one, all of your allies, living and dead alike, speaks to you through the Master Sword, and all at once encourages you to do the impossible. With the last of their strength, they lend their powers to yours, and it gives you all the powers you need to overcome Ganondorf.

Your tunic turns purest white. Your Master Sword glows with holy white fire, and your pupils become similarly white. You slash your sword at a volley of oncoming blue darknuts, and a single swipe dispatches of all six of them within an arc of six tiles ahead of you.

I wish there were more endings like that. It takes a lot of setup to do, but damn, if it isn't worth it...

Shazza Dani
07-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Epic endings only work at the end of epic quests. And that's a lot of work. -.-

I'd be so happy with myself if I could make something awesome like that, but I'm trying to focus on actually completing a simple quest for the time being. After 4-5 years using ZQuest, I should really have more to show from it. |/drifting off-topic|

Brasel
07-27-2008, 02:27 AM
I'm attempting an epic quest right now, but I can say that its really kind of hard with my limited knowledge of what ZC can do these days and the fact that its really hard to come up with an extremely awesome story that can be told using ZC. I have so many great ideas, but its really hard to put them into a quest seeing as I haven't figured out how to do intricate cut scenes yet. I'll figure it out though, it'll take some time.

_L_
07-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Personally, I'm not sure if the "cheered on by departed friends from all stages of the game to unleash superhuman determination" style ending can be made earnest and engaging in ways that the Final Fantasies, EarthBound, Harry Potter, and - in a sense - Super Metroid haven't already covered individually. Nowadays, people would be more likely to expect a twist or a subversion of expectations.

The crux of this effect is that "with so many dear friends on your side giving you support, even the blackest evil can be confronted." I wonder how this can be extended in new ways.
Maybe one or some of your defeated foes accompany your friends? Begrudgingly lending their support, and, in doing so, atoneing themselves?
Maybe the "power and support" they all provide manifests physically - an armed spirit or creature appears alongside the hero for each friend.
Maybe, rather than giving power to the hero, your friends diminish the power of the foe - reclaiming a part of his corrupted artifact for the Light side.

Now that I think about it, this all reminds me of Majora's Mask for some reason. Aren't all those natty masks supposed to represent the many strangers you've helped? And with all of them united, you receive some kind of God Mask? This aspect seemed awfully downplayed in the game, though.

DarkFlameWolf
07-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Lost Isle has a scene similar to what you're describing with the souls of the island giving Link one more chance to defeat Morlach.

Russ
07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm setting up something like that in one of my quests ST. :)

ShadowTiger
07-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Awesome. Can't wait to see it. You'd better not disappoint though. :blah: There's a lot riding on it.

If you've ever played Okami, there's a scene sort of similar to this. Here's a nifty spoiler box for you.

-=SPOILER=-... and it was still bloody fantastic. I loved it so much.

Legend789
07-27-2008, 09:36 PM
When I figure out how to do cutscreens and scripts and custom bosses be on the look out for my new quest (which I'll probably put off until I really am an old man).

-=SPOILER=-

C-Dawg
07-28-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm attempting an epic quest right now, but I can say that its really kind of hard with my limited knowledge of what ZC can do these days and the fact that its really hard to come up with an extremely awesome story that can be told using ZC.

No it's not.

Personally, I'm not sure if the "cheered on by departed friends from all stages of the game to unleash superhuman determination" style ending can be made earnest and engaging in ways that the Final Fantasies, EarthBound, Harry Potter, and - in a sense - Super Metroid haven't already covered individually.

Not to mention the fact that many of these games didn't do it well. FF4, for example. Oh, what? Your friends have a random never-before-hinted at power to recover you no matter where you are? Oh, okay. Super Metroid, by contrast, did it well - the baby metroid helps out as a key part of the story. Unexpected, but not irrational. Frankly, there's a similar moment at the end of Dreams of Yesterday (not that anyone ever got there) that was one of the poorly-done examples of this.

jman2050
07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Frankly, there's a similar moment at the end of Dreams of Yesterday (not that anyone ever got there) that was one of the poorly-done examples of this.

Maybe if Ganon weren't a cheap pain in the neck Link wouldn't have needed *spoiler spoiler spoiler* in order to finally be able to finish him off! :P

Shazza Dani
07-29-2008, 02:12 AM
DoY was flippin' impossible. I couldn't get very far at all in that quest.