PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV DS first thoughts

AtmaWeapon
07-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Is anyone else playing through the Final Fantasy IV DS remake? I'm just past the point where you visit Mist the first time, and here's my thoughts.

FFIV is one of my most favorite games, so I was excited about this. It also made me kind of worried, because when I like a game like I like FFIV, I tend to get angry when some minor detail that was important to me gets overlooked.

I've got to say that it really feels the same, but the additions make it worth picking up. It looks like the cutscenes from the PS version were added, and though they are lower resolution on the DS it's still a very nice touch. The music has been remixed by Nobuo Uematsu (making me have to buy another soundtrack CD *grumble grumble...*) and it really adds a lot of value to the game. Many important scenes in the game have had voice acting added to them, though I must admit the actors come off as fairly dry and emotionless. So far little Rydia's done the best job, though Cecil has his rare moments.

Combat mechanics appear to be similar, but it really feels slower than it did in the original. I believe it's part because a lot of attacks have slightly longer and snazzier animations, but all in all the timing feels slower. There is an auto-combat mode where everyone takes default actions which is nice, but I wish there was a way you could prioritize enemies as there's several situations where the fight is easy only if you take out a particular enemy first. You have a lot of control over how your combat menu appears, and you can even put spells directly on the combat menu, which is a great boon considering how often you need a particular spell in certain places.

One complaint about the 3D conversion I have is that it seems most of the items hidden in pots and other scenery are gone. It may be just because it's hard to line up just right with them and I haven't done that yet, and I hope this is in the case because finding these items saved me a lot of gil in the original.

In short, so far I feel it's a great remake and worth the money. I do wish Square would make more original stuff like The World Ends With You, but this is a very good way to take an old property and make it exciting again. If they do this with FF VI, I'm signed up, and it's a shame they aren't doing it with Chrono Trigger.

ctrl-alt-delete
07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Been playing through it.

Just now defeated Golbez for the first time(when Rydia rejoins your party...)

FFIV is one of my three favorite games of all time, and so far, it seems pretty true to the original and I have been enjoying it.

One thing that drives me nuts though...

When I play a game, I have to read EVERY line of text...talk to EVERY NPC...

Well, I did not realize until just recently that all of the characters have a different thought bubble when you are walking as them on the "overworld."

Replay.

As for the hidden items in pots, same story here. I have found a few things, but it seems to be a lot less than I remember from the 20 times I played the original.

Why do we always like the same games?

MottZilla
07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
I plan to pick this up as FF4 is my favorite. I imagine I'll enjoy it solely because its FF4 if nothing else.

MasterSwordUltima
07-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Whats this bullcrap about not having the ultra detailed FMVs past the intro?

This makes me mad like a big grizzly bear![/lame simile, I apologize]

Brasel
07-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Someone want to send me this? Lol. I'd buy it right away if I were home, but alas, I must wait. It makes me happy that the AGN critics are enjoying it, meaning I know I'll be okay with it.

Sam Atoms
07-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Really funny that this should come up for discussion at this moment, because I decided to try FFIV for the first time last night. I wanted to see Shattered Earth's source of inspiration. Well, I'd recommend it for SE fans, because FFIV is like a kick-ass, single player Shattered Earth. I'd never seen real-time, and turn-based combat mixed the way FFIV does. If I were to have one gripe about it, it would be that you seem to play the part of a guy (or guys) who have really mixed up..... moral alignments....... but I've only played two hours into it so there's not much that I know.

Brasel
07-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Thats awesome. I really hope you enjoy the game for the first time as much as I did. Final Fantasy IV was the game that got me into RPG's. Hopefully you'll be as inspired by it as I was.

Mr. 207
07-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Ive been playing as well, I'm up to the Tower of Zot. One thing I have to comment on: This game is sooooo much harder then it used to be. Getting gil takes forever, grinding for xp seems to be necessary a lot more often then I remember. But in spite of that I'm still having a good time and its definitely fun to play and see their 3d interpretations of the original game.

AtmaWeapon
07-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Really funny that this should come up for discussion at this moment, because I decided to try FFIV for the first time last night. I wanted to see Shattered Earth's source of inspiration. Well, I'd recommend it for SE fans, because FFIV is like a kick-ass, single player Shattered Earth. I'd never seen real-time, and turn-based combat mixed the way FFIV does. If I were to have one gripe about it, it would be that you seem to play the part of a guy (or guys) who have really mixed up..... moral alignments....... but I've only played two hours into it so there's not much that I know.Oh boy if you think the morals are mixed up now, just keep playing the game. This is probably the game with the most plot twists and unpredictable characters that I have ever played.

Whats this bullcrap about not having the ultra detailed FMVs past the intro?

This makes me mad like a big grizzly bear![/lame simile, I apologize]
Actually this pisses me off as well, Tales of Symphonia did the same thing. They worked who knows how long to make a high-quality cutscene for the opening sequence that depicts a few seconds some of the most exciting events in the game, then you get to the events and there's no high-quality version. Boo. I'd rather they not insert these scenes at all than insert them as the title sequence.

MottZilla
07-27-2008, 03:25 PM
The need to save the high quality renders for a PS3/Xbox 360 remake. :p They only have to wait a year or two. Afterall FF4 came out on WonderSwan Color, and then shortly after that again on GBA, and then now on DS. Give it alittle time and they'll be due to remake it again.