PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Carving...

Anthus
07-25-2008, 12:28 PM
So, is there a template out there somewhere for the way tiles need to be laid out for the different types of dungeon carving?

Also, is there one that can be used for mountain tiles?

Thanks.

Legend789
07-25-2008, 12:46 PM
So, is there a template out there somewhere for the way tiles need to be laid out for the different types of dungeon carving?

Also, is there one that can be used for mountain tiles?

Thanks.Why would you need that? You're already good enough :tongue:

Well, if you make NES style dungeons where the room is only one screen big, you just follow the basic style that they use in Legend of Zelda, but with modifications where you need them. If you want dungeons like in Triforce of the Gods (Link to the Past), you basically need to to check a rule called "Freeform Dungeons" and could make similar dungeons just replacing certain walls with walkable areas.

The cliffs should be made so that a center cliff is always covered by a top or corner cliff, unless it's also a bottom cliff or a side cliff.

But when you use tilesets other than classic, you might want to PM the tileset maker.

But I probably completely misunderstoon the question. Lol.

Anthus
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Why would you need that? You're already good enough :tongue:

Well, if you make NES style dungeons where the room is only one screen big, you just follow the basic style that they use in Legend of Zelda, but with modifications where you need them. If you want dungeons like in Triforce of the Gods (Link to the Past), you basically need to to check a rule called "Freeform Dungeons" and could make similar dungeons just replacing certain walls with walkable areas.

The cliffs should be made so that a center cliff is always covered by a top or corner cliff, unless it's also a bottom cliff or a side cliff.

But when you use tilesets other than classic, you might want to PM the tileset maker.

But I probably completely misunderstoon the question. Lol.

Maybe :P

Dungeon carving is a newer feature that lets you set up tiles a certain way on the tile page, and then lets you use that to draw wall sets, and floor borders all at once, if that makes any sense. I suppose I could just open up my version of NeoFirst since it is set up for it, but I didn't think about that until now :D

Thanks anyway.

Shazza Dani
07-25-2008, 03:16 PM
ShadowTiger is the person to see about this. I may have a copy of his template too, so I'll check for that right now...

EDIT:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/NeoFirstDungeonCarvingHouseAndBrick.gif
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/NeoFirstRelationalModeHouseBorders.gif

Evidently the first template is for dungeon carving mode and the second is for relational mode. Don't ask me what those mean or how they work, 'cause I have touched a new beta since the 2.11 days. -_-'''''

Anthus
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
Cool, thanks.

Dungeon is for walls, and Realational is for floor borders. To go a bit deeper; dungeon does things by carving out a box using the walls as it's border where ever you drag the cursor. Relational draws things based on which tile is next to it allowing you to lay tediously formed floor borders with only one click and some skillful cursor-dragging.

Legend789
07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Yeah, haha :kawaii: I completely missed what you were saying (Although I did wonder why you said carving.), but I've seen those strange tile pages before and now I think I completely understand it now that you guys explained it.

Anthus
07-25-2008, 05:29 PM
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1188/dngcarvingtq4.gif

Behold! This is the power of dungeon carving. Sure, it can be done normally, but with dungeon carving, it is so much faster. This was from a Dungeon in NewFirst I was making. I haven't quit, but I haven't messed with it in a very long time.

Russ
07-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Wait, can somebody please explain how to use dungeon carving? Nobody seems to be able to tell me. :(