PDA

View Full Version : Would you like lime with your seawater?

Prrkitty
07-22-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38507/118/

Quote1: The addition of lime to seawater decreases the alkalinity, this aids in boosting the sea water's ability to absorb CO2 from the air, and also aids in the reduction of the waters tendency to release CO2 back into the air.

Quote2: The process of making lime generates CO2, but when you add the lime to seawater it aids in the absorption of twice as much CO2 thus making the process carbon negative.

--------------------------------------

Interesting read. In reality how feasible would this truly be? And if implemented as discussed... would it really work as believed? Would the added lime adversely affect saltwater creatures?

Aegix Drakan
07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
uuhhh... am I the only one thinking "Too good to be true"?

I'm pretty sure that adding tons of lime to our seawater would have DEVASTATING effects in some way or another. I mean...Don't the fish need oxygen too, in some way?

...Maybe I'm just paranoid, but... I REALLY think they should do a ton of research into this before acting on it. You just don't fill the sea with lime, and expect that it won't unbalance something.

AtmaWeapon
07-22-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm sure changing the chemical makeup of the ocean, which covers 3/4 of the surface of our planet and sustains all life, is a perfectly good idea and absolutely nothing could go wrong.

Fun fact: sea creatures breathe because of the oxygen in the water. I wonder what higher CO2 levels would do to this?