PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here remember Zelda-TD?

Anthus
07-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Resumed

Yeah... It is resumed. At least, in my head >.<

::

EDIT:
So, I'm going to use this first post to track progress. I will give percents and updates of the various sections of the quest. I hope this helps give people a better idea of how far I've come.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Key:
Green - Completed, and playable (save for minor graphical changes. This means the area could be released.)

Light Green - Almost done. This is more or less for grottos specifically as they are completed, but they are not up to my quality standards.

Blue - Incomplete.

Red - Minimally completed in ZC.

Black - N/A for completion.

---

Overall - ~65%
This is an approximation based on the percents below.

Overworld - 100%
Playable. Least likely to change significantly. Minor changes, maybe.

Item Grottos - 90%
Done, but some will be redone.

Overall Dungeons - ~50%
Somewhere around half done.

Level 1 - 100%
Playable, and fully tested.

Level 2 - 100%
Playable, and fully tested. There may be one tiny change, but we'll see.

Level 3 - 100%
Playable, and fully tested. There is however, one thing to do, but it is cosmetic, and I may do it at the end during the final polishing shtuff.

Level 4 - 80%
Almost done. Still need to finish up the dungeon, decide on a boss, and test.

Level 5 - <10%
Nothing is done in ZC for this. However, it is conceptualized.

Level 6 - 100%
Playable, and fully tested. Completed boss; good to go.

Level 7 - <10%
Laid out in ZC. Minimal design done.

Level 8
Nothing is done in ZC for this. However, it is conceptualized.

Level 9 - <10%
Needs to be done. This is different then other dungeons, so it is harder to say.

Extra Dungeon - <10%
Fully planned. Minimally complete in ZC.

Miscellaneous Extra - ~?
It's hard to say. This is for anything extra I missed, or doesn't get its own category. This is more or less an acknowledgment of stuff outside the main categories. This won't really factor into the overall.

Okay, I'm going to offer the quest's progress in a different way. This is more of a check list, and is definitely more accurate than some arbitrary percent. These won't necessarily be done in this order, but here is a comprehensive and spoiler free list of what needs to be done.

General Outline For Remaining Work:

Finish Level 4.
Finish Level 5.
Finish Level 7.
Finish Level 8.
Complete Final Area.
Complete Final Boss.
Complete Optional Area 1.
Complete Optional Area 2.
Complete Optional Area 3.
Complete Opening
First "personal beta" (Entire playthrough testing).
Edit/ Add/ Remove/ Fix Strings, Shops, and Info Types.
Make first Public Beta, and recruit testers.
Finalize Release (Last minute changes, testing, write the read me, etc.)
Release.

It may seem like a lot, but hopefully this will give you a better idea of what exactly is left to do. The percents will still be updated.

[[ O L D _I N F O ]]

I'm wondering, I started this quest over three years ago (Getting closer to four years, actually) and kept it updated briefly. I then discovered the magic of other tilesets (up until late 2004, I was stuck with Classic, BS, and Newfirst).

Well, after getting bored, and opening up the game after three years (thank you, DVD back-ups) I realized, I was actually quite far in development (working on level 5) further than any other project I've ever done.

My point is: maybe I might regain my ZC spirit just long enough to finish this quest. One of the main reasons I quit before was because I figured no one would care about a quest done with a modified Classic set. I mean, Classic went out the window back in 2000. I studied the overworld carefully, and thought about going back through and marking dungeon entrances, and items ans such. This quest was very, very unorganized during development.

I may need to recruit a team of testers. They're not so much for bugs, but for other points of development like difficulty, layout, and cosmetic stuff. This quest will be finished and released for 2.10, and nothing higher. I even made the desert area while I was in the mood.

Here is the incomplete map. It is small on purpose, no, you cannot have a bigger version.. yet :P

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/1359/incompletemapfz0.jpg

So. Is anyone interested in a good ol' classic quest?

Russ
07-14-2008, 05:39 PM
CLASSIC! I LOVE CLASSIC!

Yes, I would be very must interested in a classic quest. Classic is the best tileset. End of story. :)

Anthus
07-14-2008, 07:52 PM
One reply is enough to restore hope that people do care. I may send out some PM's later and request some people for some thangs.

Thank you Russ, you restored my faith in humanity. To think I was gonna chuck that bleach and gasoline cocktail. :P

Shazza Dani
07-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I definitely want to give this a try when it's complete. Good luck.

Legend789
07-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Wow o.o That map looks huge. With an overworld like that, I'd love to play it.

Elmensajero
07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Sure, I would be interested in testing this out. There are some quests made in the classic tileset that are better than most of the ones made in pure or other "better looking" tilesets, so I definitely want to see how this one turns out. Even with it being too small to see details, the map looks good so far.

Matthew Bluefox
07-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Jane writing right now: Wowies! This overworld is a lot better than the one I've made for Zelda 1.5 (also classic tileset) ... first I had planned to make some "night overworld" parts, butt then dropped the idea. Now I see I should have done it, it looks wonderful! :)

ms_zelda_lady
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Overworld map looks great. I would love to give your quest a try whenever you have it finished.
ms_zelda_lady

FerentzRocks
07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Many of my favorite quests are classic. Do it! I'll play a good classic quest any day.

Anthus
07-15-2008, 10:23 PM
The overworld is *almost* done. I may post a slightly larger version of the completed map.

Just for the record, I don't think it's good to get people's hopes up, so you might wanna know I am prone to quitting or dropping projects in an instant. This was however, my first real serious project. I'd like to finish it even if it is for nothing but the novelty of it.

Russ
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Wait, just relized, your the guy who submitted all of those classic tile edits with the prefix "ZTD" to the database at Pure! Does that mean they will all be in this quest?

Anthus
07-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Wait, just relized, your the guy who submitted all of those classic tile edits with the prefix "ZTD" to the database at Pure! Does that mean they will all be in this quest?

Yup. Well, some of them. However these (http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tiles&id=516) will not be used. I made them thinking it would look cool, but when they are actually used, the look blocky and ugly.

I finished the overworld map. I'm gonna make a map, and label it and use it for a "debug" map. I will post the completed overworld here shortly.

^EDIT: The water tiles are used.

Anthus
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Okay. I finished putting the map together in paint after many tedious screencaps taken in windowed mode. So, here (http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9526/promomaplc4.gif) is the completed overworld map, in a relatively higher resolution. Areas are subject to change. I have another, larger version that I will mark on, and use for testing, and debugging purposes.

So far I have the overworld 90% completed. I say this because there are some graphical anomalies, and line up issues (I noticed while screen capping) that need fixed. Plus, as a beta map, it lacks some of the final details (mainly, varied trees, and rock formations). It is done, but not completed.

I have levels 1-3 fully functional, but still subject to change. Four is done, but needs testing. Levels five and six are both about mid-way through construction. Seven, Eight, and Nine are not even conceived yet :\

I have some of the groundwork for one of the optional dungeons (Red Labyrinth) down, but nothing else.

All in all, I'd say I'm about 50% done with this quest.

For those of you who tl;dr'ed this post, Here (http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9526/promomaplc4.gif) is the map.

Anthus
07-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Sorry, for the triple post, honestly, I didn't even realized I had double posted :D

Anywho, I have a BIG update. So big, in fact, it warranted capitalizing all letters in the word "big".

It's actually something that I have been meaning to do for a while, and certainly something I should have done from the beginning. What am I talking about? I made up a note pad file with all 128 overworld screens, and what they had (Dungeon entrance, Grotto entrance, Guy, Shop, HC, etc.) and took inventory of what items are here and there, in dungeons and shops etc. This is massive, and now that I've spent the time to do this, I can finally advance in this quest, and start making real progress. This list will also help out beta testers giving them a quick reference to things, and making sure strings/ warps work accordingly.

A document was way more efficient than a labeled map image.

Also, to give my self some credibility, I'll go ahead and post the "template" for the planning for anyone else who wants to do make a screen-by-screen list of their overworld(s). I also made spaces for info and shop types, and dungeons, and in my quest, Item Grottos.

("--" indicate corresponding location with map; ex: "56: Level 6" -> "56 Level 6". Same applies for Heart Containers.)

Dungeons:

-- Level 1
-- Level 2
-- Level 3
-- Level 4
-- Level 5
-- Level 6
-- Level 7
-- Level 8

Dungeon Items:

Level 1 -
Level 2 -
Level 3 -
Level 4 -
Level 5 -
Level 6 -
Level 7 -
Level 8 -

Heart Containers:
--
--

Info Values:

Shop Values:

Overworld Screens:
7A
7B
7C
7D
7E
7F

6A
6B
6C
6D
6E
6F

5A
5B
5C
5D
5E
5F

4A
4B
4C
4D
4E
4F

3A
3B
3C
3D
3E
3F

2A
2B
2C
2D
2E
2F

1A
1B
1C
1D
1E
1F

0A
0B
0C
0D
0E
0F

Russ
07-20-2008, 02:14 AM
Sounds like you did a lot of work.

And thanks for that template. It should come in handy.

Anthus
10-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Just a bit of an update:

This quest is rapidly approaching the form of something playable. Four of the game's 10 Dungeons are fully completed, and all the rest have either something done in ZC, or something planned. I am currently working on Level 4 which I'd place at about 20%. (1-3, and 6 are done). I think 12/14 item grottos are finished too (Honestly, I'm not sure without opening up ZC). The overworld is constantly having more detail added to screens for personal quality reasons.

To anyone who played the very old demo on PureZC years ago, this quest is almost unrecognizable. Levels 1 and 2, and some item grottos are the only things untouched from a design standpoint.

I hope this quest re-defines the standards of a classic quest.

I will be back later on with and updated map.. Gimme a minute to edit this post..

*ahem* For the first time, here is a high-res version of the map. Note that it is still only 50% of the full size, but it still shows details. So, if you do not want to be subject to spoilers, DO NOT look at the map (http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1755/ztdmapomgomgomgomgomgomxw9.gif)!

Shazza Dani
10-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I suggest you don't use those jagged borders for the shallow water. Grab the ones from Pure or LttP; they still only use two colours, but they look much better.

Anthus
10-13-2008, 11:59 PM
I suggest you don't use those jagged borders for the shallow water. Grab the ones from Pure or LttP; the still only use two colours, but they look much better.

You know, I've honestly never thought of that. For whatever reason, I thought they used more than two colors, and never even bothered to rip them. I like them a lot too, actually. I might do this, since I have been going a bit crazy with graphic changes lately :D

AaronJerNoBan
10-14-2008, 01:28 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it being classic. There will always be people like me who refuse to play anything 16-bit.

Anyway. Finish it so people can play it, or PAY.

Rydia
10-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Lookin good Tobias! ^_^ I love it! The custom color for the OW is looking good to. I never did try the demo, but I look forward to playing this.

Anthus
10-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Lookin good Tobias! ^_^ I love it! The custom color for the OW is looking good to. I never did try the demo, but I look forward to playing this.

Oh wow. Nice to see you around. So, who are you on Pure Again? I know virtually everyone has a different name now.

No one should bother with the demo. It blows. Plus, It is probably gone if they pruned PureZC in the last.. four years.

I am going to use today to finish the opening sequence. It will be well worth it.

Rydia
10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I am now Angeal on PZC. Couldn't tell you if there was any pruning in the last year and a half, because I was without internet for that long. But, I'd rather wait to see it in a more complete form. Like how it looks now. It looks like great fun.

FerentzRocks
10-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Anyway. Finish it so people can play it, or PAY.

You know, people are saying the same thing about WBDO! But yeah, I love classic, and I will definitely play this.

Anthus
10-15-2008, 01:19 PM
This has garnered more attention than I though o-o. I'm surprised, frankly. People being interested actually makes me want to finish it. Funny how that works. I'm making no promises, but I may post some screen shots later on.

Just in general, I'd say I'm 60-65% finished with this quest.

.. *opens z-quest*

Anthus
10-24-2008, 03:26 AM
Minor Update:

Various Overworld tweaks, and improvements. (AlttP shallow water, to name one.)
Created several new dungeon palettes.
Began work on the secret dungeon/ vicinity.
Finished up a little trick for the Super-secret area.
Slight re-organization of unused maps for optimum Map usage.

HUGE stuff on the to-do list:

Finish Opening Sequence. (Single most complex thing in quest. This will be a huge hump to get over.)
Finish Level 4
Finish Level 7
Start Level 5
Start Level 8
Finish Sky area/Level 9
Play Test

King Aquamentus
10-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Yes, I remember Zelda-TD... I remember someone joking around that you had canceled it, but I know you wouldn't piss me off like that... right??? RIGHT???

Anthus
10-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Yes, I remember Zelda-TD... I remember someone joking around that you had canceled it, but I know you wouldn't piss me off like that... right??? RIGHT???

It was canceled for a few years while I moved on to other stuff, and fled from lack of organization. I got back into it over the summer, and got all serious about it, and organized all kinds of stuff that should have been done from the start. I decided to finish it mainly because it was my first serious quest endeavor to the world, so I thought it should stay that way. Granted, a lot has changed from he original layouts (but it a good way, trust me) it is still a classic quest at the roots, and a solid one at that. I am against a demo of this quest particularly because I want it to have that much larger of an impact on release.

It is getting there, slowly but surely. Every week, it is further than it was a week prior, and that is progress.

DigiPro31279
10-31-2008, 09:18 PM
I like classic tileset since most of my quests began in classic before being remade into a different tileset. I can't wait for this one to be done.

TwilightKnight
11-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I feel quite lucky that I clicked the link in your sig, because this is probably the best Classic quest I've seen around. I hope you will finish it.

CastChaos
11-02-2008, 06:20 PM
A big Classic quest? Very nice. I always like Classic quests, especially if they are big... and a really huge Classic quest would be a killer.

Wow, I'm late with realizing this thread, the quest is already at about 70%? Perfect.

Anthus
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
..I'm late with realizing this thread, the quest is already at about 70%? Perfect.

It's hard to give an exact percent since there are so mnay contributing factors to the completeness. The overworld is fully complete, and functional. There are some aesthetic things here and there. Also, the game's 12 mini dungeons are complete, but some are subject to re-designing since they are pretty simplistic. Now, for the "real" dungeons, four of them are fully complete, and functional. One more is at about 80%, and the other three are still in early stages. The game's final area, and optional stuff, are also at the same point. The opening sequence is also minimally complete. So, I'd say a more accurate percentage is somewhere around 65%. But like I said, there are a lot of factors here.

I feel quite lucky that I clicked the link in your sig, because this is probably the best Classic quest I've seen around. I hope you will finish it.

People do use links in peoples signatures. I hope I finish it too.

Depending on the over all popularity of this quest, it will determine the direction for future "Zelda TD" quests.

EDIT: I have some unsettling news. Well not really. The 'opening sequence' I've been talking so much about is officially scrapped. Why? Well, first of all, it uses a very complicated "trick" that is very difficult to do, and there are some limitations present in 2.10 that make it even more difficult. So, I'd rather remove it from the 2.10 version, and implement it in a possible "DX" version of the quest where it can be done smoothly using newer Betas.

Anthus
11-05-2008, 09:34 PM
So, I've been in a bit of a rut.

I haven't had the motivation to do much of anything outside of a few screens a week for the last two weeks or so. This could be because I've been busy playing Mother 3, or because I am SICK of doing dungeons, or because I've been a little depressed as of late.

Since the overworld is done, dungeons have been my only thing to really work on. When I really need to do something different with the ZC hard-on, I'll open up Link's CRUNK 3rd, and do some overworld screens. I just thought it was fair to let people know why there has been a bit of a dry spell as far as updates go.

Now, for a screenshot.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7530/zelda019yj8.png
From near the end of Level 4. This is towards the top of the tower.

Anthus
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Currently typing up after-level lines.

I may re-add the intro sequence, but leave out the thing I thought would really make it. I may also begin drawing out level 5. I think I'm gonna come back to level four.

Rydia
12-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I will still have testers though.Whenever you may be needing testers, I'd be happy to apply to be one! I've tested some larger quests like Isle of the Winds, Ganon's Claim, and Wolfstyle DX by DarkFlameWolf, Link's Birthday DX by Mr. Z, and Hero of Dreams by Shoelace. I've been keeping an eye on this, and it is looking great, and I love that end of level 4 screen. Quite a different twist on the Classic style. :D

Din
12-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd also love to test! I absolutely LOVE the classic set, and with so many custom tiles included, this looks to be a great quest!

FerentzRocks
12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd say this and "Wizzrobes Big Day Out" are the two classic quests to which I am looking the most forward.

Anthus
12-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I am glad to see that people are still anticipating this quest. I must admit, not much has been done in the past month. Real life has kinda kicked me in the boner, so it has been hard to find time, and motivation to do anything in ZC. I assure you, the urges come and go. Remember, I finished an entire (big, I might add) dungeon in one day. It was quite possibly my most productive ZC day ever. Thank you all for your support.

Angeal, does my ban from PZC extend to quest submissions? I mean, all of my loose tiles are still there >.>

EDIT: Bah, I had something somewhat important to add, but I forgot. Well, while I'm on the subject of something, one feature, I really wish existed in 2.10 were level specific keys. Believe me, if there is ever a DX version, that will be a definitive feature. I already managed to get around left over keys from item grottos (simple, really) but I hate the idea of people taking keys from one dungeon to a next. The quest is designed so you can't really do it, but if you play through dungeons partially (e.g, part of level 3, leave, go to level 5, leave back to level 2 etc.), it could get ugly. For every locked door, there is a key, but some dungeons are built around finding a key or two. skipping a key is like skipping half of the dungeon :[

Banon
12-09-2008, 11:32 PM
OMGWTFBBQ! This looks awesome...

Okay... now that I'm done using dumb, outdated acronyms, time for something useful...

If your getting bored of making your quest, try playing another game, and let yourself have something new for a couple of days. Personally, I pick up an early Final Fantasy game. Why? Well, I find that the early Final Fantasys (especially 1) were short enough to complete in 10-15 hours. While playing, I have in the back of my mind new thoughts for rooms generating so that I can get a headstart when I get back to my quest. Just make sure to come back afterwards;).

If you don't think this will work, I'm sorry Tobias for wasting your time.

On a side side note, that one screenshot you posted makes me feel miserable knowing how much my quest will suck (graphically at least) in comparison:uhoh:.

Either way, good luck finishing your quest:).

Rydia
12-26-2008, 12:48 AM
I replied to your question through a PM. How's it looking, got any fresh screenies?

Anthus
01-05-2009, 02:54 AM
I replied to your question through a PM. How's it looking, got any fresh screenies?

See first post.

Also, I'll reply to your PM now.

Rydia
01-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Aww, that sucks man... But, I do understand what you're getting at. Hopefully it won't be too long and you are able to continue with it. :D Oh, and your avatar is somewhat along the lines of creepy, perhaps? :p

Anthus
01-10-2009, 01:38 AM
For all whom it may concern, giez, a totally leet demo is now available for playage by you and your machine.

Go demo.

wewt. (http://zc.celestialrealm.net/demo.php?num=7)

FerentzRocks
01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
A couple questions (I apologize if these have been asked and/or answered):

1) What version is the demo for? and
2) How big is the demo? How many levels does it go? What are the last items one obtains? With a demo sometimes it's hard to tell when you're done.

Anthus
01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
A couple questions (I apologize if these have been asked and/or answered):

1) What version is the demo for? and
2) How big is the demo? How many levels does it go? What are the last items one obtains? With a demo sometimes it's hard to tell when you're done.

1. 2.10.
2. It is through two levels. The demo is built in such a way that you know when you are done ;)

FerentzRocks
01-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I enjoyed the demo and I hope you decide to see this through. There is definitely an appetite for classic-styled quests. I know at purezc there is a fairly large group of classic loyalists who enjoy these types of games more than any other. I like the custom look, the colors, this one looks like it has much eye candy.

I liked L2 better than L1. You might want to change L1 so that you are required to get the item. As it is now you can beat the dungeon without it. Using a boss key in L1 could probably be a way around this. Difficulty seemed pretty good, although the L2 boss was much harder than L1. I'd probably use a blue one in L1 to make it a little more formidable.

Again, the demo only makes me hope you decide to finish. This one has great potential.

Anthus
01-13-2009, 04:31 AM
Actually, it is funny that you mention that about Level 1. I didn't want to make any real design changes for the demo, but I seriously thought about adding a boss key to Level 1 after replaying it for the demo. I was also considering making it a bit larger, or something. It feels a bit small, but it may just be because I made it, and can beat it in six minutes :P

I might just make it so you need the item to get to the boss, since there isn't really a good spot for the boss key without it feeling shoehorned in, and there is a room before the boss that is just kind of.. there. >.>

Aaaand, there was a blue one there way back when, but it was really a bitch to kill. Keep in mind that in the real game, you'd probably only have four, maybe five hearts. I was generous and gave people six for the demo (three hits). I might do something with the room to make it it bit closer though.