PDA

View Full Version : New Nintendo peripheral announced

rock_nog
07-14-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/eMMuRj_N6vntHPDycCJAKWhEO9zBvyPH

It's called the Wii MotionPlus - gives the Wiimote the ability to track its position in 3D space. The practical upswing of this is that we can finally have games with 1:1 motion tracking.

Personally, I feel, as cool as it is, I really just feel this should've been included from the start. Oh well, nothing you can do about it now. Can't wait to see games that make use of this, though.

The_Amaster
07-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, literally just read about this under IGN's E3 stuff.
Assuming that it's
a.) cheap, as in 10 dollars or so, and
b.) enough games (especially third party) actually make use of it

it should be pretty sweet. Question though: will it automaticly work on older games? I'm thinking finally playing Zack and Wiki with 1:1

ctrl-alt-delete
07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Really fucking excited about this one. Here is to hoping they announce Zelda Wii tomorrow with 1:1 control.

Aegix Drakan
07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
...Why wasn't this included in the Wii from the start?

They didn't have the technology or what? Ahh well, as long as it dones't go for anything over $20, It's good, I guess.

...now we can FINALLY see some non-crappy motion sensing, which is apparently very hard to come by.

Personally, I think it should be bundled in with all new Wiis.

Cloral
07-14-2008, 05:25 PM
...or built in to all new Wiimotes.

vegeta1215
07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh yay. Now I can stand up and move my arms around like I'm really swinging a sword for the next Zelda game! I have never been more excited! :disgust:

Yoshiman
07-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Introducing Wii MotionPlus, Nintendo's upcoming accessory for the revolutionary Wii Remote
... And will be required for 90% of Wii games from here on out.

Aegix Drakan
07-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Oh yay. Now I can stand up and move my arms around like I'm really swinging a sword for the next Zelda game! I have never been more excited! :disgust:

Wow...that post is dripping with so much sarcasm that it's even staining this post's box.

I'm just dissapointed that they released the motion sensing gig before it was totally complete, and now they have to release the new technology like this so everyone has to buy what they expected to have from the get-go.

Heck, if they'd have SAID that they were still perfecting the controls, then I wouldn't mind so much, but there has been not a word like that, as far as I've seen

MottZilla
07-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Like this is going to discourage anyone already with a Wii. Besides if it really helps that much it's a good thing.

Rijuhn
07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
YERS! I'm definately excited about this. This reminds me of the Nintendo 64 RAM expansion.

AtmaWeapon
07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
Honestly I'm not sure where I stand on this one. I mean, I'm a card-carrying fanboy of the Nintendo platform, but I just can't figure out what this means. I mean, I'm thinking Twilight Princess and Okami, and the motion controls were just underutilized there. It's not going to magically add swordplay to those games, so where's the value add? Maybe in games like Boom Blox this could be an added benefit, but you can't make a game magically respond to it, and I'm not sure if this will make things better.

Basically, it's not like the Rumble Pak or the Mario Kart wheel or even the DK Bongos, where they started with the premise, "Here's this awesome game..." and ended with, "...and you need this peripheral (included) to play it!" This is just a peripheral that "adds precision" to maybe existing games, maybe not. It might work with new games, it might not. There might be new games that use it, there might not. It might cost $10, it might cost $30, making the cost of a new Wiimote something near $90 if you want a nunchuk too.

I want more than a stupid press release blurb before I get excited.

ZTC
07-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Didn't the Activatior for the Genesis try this before? I'd like to see what this will bring forth when/after it comes out.

ctrl-alt-delete
07-15-2008, 01:27 AM
My eyes will be glued to the press conference tomorrow morning...