PDA

View Full Version : RockBand 2 Will Not Have Custom Tracks

Archibaldo
07-09-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=165870

Saw this on the PA site. Guitar Hero World Tour will have drums, mic, and bass added. Along with the ability to make your own tracks. Do you think that will give GH and edge over RockBand 2?

erm2003
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Guitar Hero World Tour will be my choice. Not only can you make your own tracks, but you can also upload them and share them with others. You can download somewhere in the ballpark of 100 songs created by others to play on your own system - and this doesn't even include any songs you can also buy as well.

Oh and they have already said these features will be implemented for Wii users, so that's a nice change of pace.

Warlock
07-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Except that Rock Band has rediculously better DLC than GH.. by a mile. Honestly, I have no interest in GH:WT. I really doubt the track authoring is going to be that interesting. It seems to me like the kind of feature that *sounds* good on paper, but then when you actually play with it you get sick of it immediately.

ZTC
07-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Not to mention badly sycronized or horribly made tracks. My goodness, that problem plauges Stepmania to a degree and will seep into GH. Hopefully the community will focus on doing some kick-ass tracks to play with.

Archibaldo
07-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Except that Rock Band has rediculously better DLC than GH.. by a mile.

That's debatable. They both have very different song selections. It really depends on what type of music you listen to. I find GH has better DLC because it has Journey's Any Way You Want It.

rock_nog
07-10-2008, 08:34 AM
It would take a helluva lot to win me back after Guitar Hero 3. On the surface, sure, it had great songs and whatnot, but it just didn't feel right.

Warlock
07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
That's debatable. They both have very different song selections. It really depends on what type of music you listen to. I find GH has better DLC because it has Journey's Any Way You Want It.

Except that Rock Band releases at least 3 songs a week, whereas Guitar Hero releases... about 6 songs a year -_-

As much as I love Journey (and I did buy that pack), that's actually the only song pack I felt was worth buying. The rest were absolute crap.

Archibaldo
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
The DLC aside. Games like RockBand and the upcoming World Tour, you really need to have a group of people to play with. The only extra thing those games give you are drums and singing. Singing could be fun but for those like me who are tone deaf and can't even pass a song on Easy. The drums are kinda fun, but the pedal is a pain.

The only peeve I have with both games is the noise of the peripherals. RockBand's buttons make noise but the strum bar is silent and GH's buttons are silent but the strum bar makes noise. Hopefully the new guitars coming up will be completely silent.

erm2003
07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
A quick update: the track list for Rock Band 2 has been released and it's an impressive list of 84 tracks. I have to admit I am impressed with many of them and the final decision may end up coming down to which initial set is better.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888788p1.html

Warlock
07-15-2008, 11:18 PM
A quick update: the track list for Rock Band 2 has been released and it's an impressive list of 84 tracks. I have to admit I am impressed with many of them and the final decision may end up coming down to which initial set is better.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888788p1.html

A track list, I should add, that includes the aforementioned Journey's "Any Way You Want It" :P

The fact that you can actually export your RB1 disk and play all of the songs from that too is damn awesome. They are basically launching this game with about 142 songs + anything you downloaded already for RB1. Also, that setlist is fantastic :)

I also hear that AC/DC is now exclusive to Rock Band ;) I am not a *huge* AC/DC fan, but they do have a damn lot of hits. I would love to see Back in Black show up as DLC :)

The only peeve I have with both games is the noise of the peripherals. RockBand's buttons make noise but the strum bar is silent and GH's buttons are silent but the strum bar makes noise. Hopefully the new guitars coming up will be completely silent.From what I hear, the new Rock Band 2 instruments are supposed to be super-quiet. Supposidely they have been taking all the fan feedback from RB1 and incorporating that into the RB2 instruments. We'll see how that turns out though - I agree the guitar strums especially can be really loud.

Archibaldo
07-16-2008, 05:27 PM
The RB2 track looks a hell of a lot better than RB1. But the decision always comes down to the track list.

On a side note. Since the RB 1 sound track can be imported to the hard drive to remove disk swapping, that means after you save all the songs from RB1 to your hard drive there wouldn't be any need for the disk anymore which means places like EB games are going to get an influx of obsolete RB1 disks. Plus there won't be any need to buy the game when you can just rent it and save the songs.

erm2003
07-16-2008, 06:31 PM
I am interested to see the details on how RB2 will work with the Wii. I am guessing that since GH3WT will be allowing downloadable tracks that RB2 will be doing the same. It would be great if they somehow could find a way to allow Wii users to also import the tracks (or download them) from RB1 and and also access all the content online. If anyone hears any specifics on this I would be interested in reading up on it. Game Informer has a nice article on RB2, but not a lot of specific details on this just yet.

Warlock
07-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I am interested to see the details on how RB2 will work with the Wii. I am guessing that since GH3WT will be allowing downloadable tracks that RB2 will be doing the same. It would be great if they somehow could find a way to allow Wii users to also import the tracks (or download them) from RB1 and and also access all the content online. If anyone hears any specifics on this I would be interested in reading up on it. Game Informer has a nice article on RB2, but not a lot of specific details on this just yet.

I *really* doubt GH:WT on Wii will have downloadable tracks.

erm2003
07-16-2008, 08:48 PM
I *really* doubt GH:WT on Wii will have downloadable tracks.

Interviews with the developers have already said there would be. So we will see.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/882/882958p1.html

That's the full article, but if you look at the second last paragraph on page 4:

Activision was quick to point out that the Wii version will have the same features as the PS3 and 360. You can create songs, upload them, download them, and purchase famous downloadable tracks on Wii.

Warlock
07-17-2008, 12:01 AM
I'd love to see how they think they can possibly pull that off :P Unless you are required to empty your entire Wii flash drive :P Or like... it's streamed off some server.. which would frankly be stupid :)

erm2003
07-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Or somehow the SD card slot is going to be used for some type of meaningful storage, finally. I am not sure but I can't wait to see either.

Warlock
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Or somehow the SD card slot is going to be used for some type of meaningful storage, finally. I am not sure but I can't wait to see either.

If it were possible, it would have been done already I would assume. All it takes is a firmware update from Nintendo though.

vegeta1215
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
People are clamoring for some kind of solution (or at least some relief) to the storage problem. Nintendo will make use of the SD card, I'm sure of it. Why? Because they don't have to physically put another product on the market to do it. It's easy. And if they do allow for an external storage device through USB, they'll probably let some other company make it, and put their stamp of approval on it. That's what I think anyways.

MasterSwordUltima
07-26-2008, 10:15 PM
I'm glad Rockband 2 wont have custom tracks. Because quite frankly, I know some people would put notes in the absolute worst places at the worst times, just to fuck with you. Except it wouldn't just be one or two songs, it would be everywhere.

Whats new with the RB2 guitar? I really like the way the buttons are setup on it, it feels more like a real guitar [as opposed to pressing a button on GH controllers].

Oh, and I think I remember someone telling me how Guitar Hero is doing the whole Rockband make a character thing. Anyone know about that?

Archibaldo
07-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know if World Tour will have customizable characters. I doubt it though since the last games you couldn't make your own guitarist. As long as they bring back Izzy Sparks I'll be happy.

Dragon
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
I read in EGM where they will be using the create a character feature found in rockband. They both sound pretty good, with GH having what so far looks like better drums and custom music, and Rock Band having backwards compatability with both downloads and the disk itself.

What really interests me is that in an interview with IGN the makers of RB2 said they wanted to help you transition from Expert level to real instruments. I'm not sure exactly what it means, but I know if you can hook real instruments into this game then it doesn't matter what feature GH has.

Archibaldo
07-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Well I'm sure playing expert on drums and singing will help you get better in RL. But not guitar seeing as how a guitar has six strings and more than 5 notes.

Brasel
08-26-2008, 12:55 AM
Well I'm sure playing expert on drums and singing will help you get better in RL. But not guitar seeing as how a guitar has six strings and more than 5 notes.

This is true, playing guitar on one of these games won't directly help you with your guitar playing skills. I used to play electric bass, and I still pick it up from time to time and I've noticed that my finger dexterity is much better after playing tons of Guitar Hero. So, it helps indirectly with some good finger exercises if anything.

Dann Woolf
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
[url]Guitar Hero World Tour will have drums, mic, and bass added.

So basically they turned it into Rock Band?

Matteo
08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Its already been confirmed that they are using the SD card slot for downloadable music in GHWT for the Wii.

erm2003
08-26-2008, 03:09 PM
Its already been confirmed that they are using the SD card slot for downloadable music in GHWT for the Wii.

Right. If they end up doing the same for RB2 and all the older tracks can be downloaded, then I may consider that instead. The main set list is better IMO since there are more songs I would like to play on it compared to what has been release for GHWT. The song creator looks fun, but I probably will not have much time to tinker with it myself so that would drastically take away from the value for me. So basically it all comes down to is RB2 going to have all the content available on the Wii as well. If yes, then I'm there.