PDA

View Full Version : Problems with vista

PizzaMan
07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
I have Vista and every time i try to use ZC or ZQ it exits itself. How can i get it to work?

Plissken
07-05-2008, 04:06 PM
What version are you using?

Pineconn
07-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I have Vista

Found your problem.

Seriously, Vista is junk compared to XP. The interface might be nicer, but just about everything else is worse.

Plissken
07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Well, there's still ways to get it working on vista Pineconn. :P

I've (sadly) been doing it for about a year now.

PizzaMan
07-05-2008, 05:30 PM
What version are you using?

I've tried all of them. I'm hoping the new 2.5 will work for it.

Plissken
07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
All new 2.5 comes with ZCLauncher and so does 2.10.2. I know you can use it on earlier versions but those are the ones I know that it comes with it. Just open ZCLauncher and modify your wanted settings then click launch ZQ or ZC.

PizzaMan
07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I've tried the newest build (819) but it said it needed to be reinstalled or something and theres no way to do that.

bobrocks95
07-05-2008, 06:08 PM
rename the Allegro file to alleg42.dll, as opposed to alleg_crt42.dll.

DarkDragon
07-05-2008, 06:19 PM
After you launch ZC and it immediately quits, what are the contents of allegro.log?

Also, does running in windowed mode (pass -windowed as a command line parameter, or use the accompanying launcher) solve the problem?

PizzaMan
07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
It works now but ZC goes way to fast.

DarkDragon
07-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Try hitting F1.

PizzaMan
07-05-2008, 09:12 PM
It slowed down now but it says can't load 1st quest when I try to start.

Russ
07-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Sure you're using 2.5? That only happens to me when I try 2.10.

PizzaMan
07-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I just got it to work never mind.

E-lement
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
I have a problem with vista too, it !@#$in sucks. I can't do sh@# with it!:mad::(

bobrocks95
07-10-2008, 12:51 PM
This is why I build my own computers. It's a lot cheaper and doesn't come with Vista installed :p.

Russ
07-10-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a problem with vista too, it !@#$in sucks. I can't do sh@# with it!:mad::(
Hey, I like Vista. It's not that bad. And ZC works with it if you use 2.5.

This is why I build my own computers. It's a lot cheaper and doesn't come with Vista installed :p.
I was going to build my own, but then my parents bought me a really nice laptop for my thirteenth birthday, so I stuck with it. And it came with Vista, which is the best OS there is.

bobrocks95
07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
I was going to build my own, but then my parents bought me a really nice laptop for my thirteenth birthday, so I stuck with it. And it came with Vista, which is the best OS there is.

It must be a really nice computer. Vista constantly caches RAM, causing up to nearly a gigabyte of RAM to be used by just the operating system alone, causing any other program you open to load an incredibly long time unless you have at least 3 gigabytes of RAM in your computer.

DigiPro31279
07-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I downloaded the 2.5 and it won't load up. I tried changing the allegro file, but I already have one. What do I do now. Yes I am using Vista. ugh!

XMuppetSB
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
I downloaded the 2.5 and it won't load up. I tried changing the allegro file, but I already have one. What do I do now. Yes I am using Vista. ugh!

If it crashes before it even opens, try using the ZC Launcher to start ZC and ZQuest in full screen. If that doesn't work, try switching to windowed mode.

DigiPro31279
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM
I got it to work now. I deleted the extra allegro file to get rid of my problem.

E-lement
07-11-2008, 04:57 AM

It's not cheaper anymore

when I try running ZC it says "The application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unnusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information."

bobrocks95
07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
It's not cheaper anymore

And what makes it "not cheaper anymore"? I can get a 2.5GHz dual-core AMD, 2 gigs of ram, a 9600GT, a huge heatsink with 2 fans that will allow me to overclock to around 3GHz, and a nice motherboard for about $300, versus new computers that are somewhere around ~900, depending on what you get. How's that not cheaper?

Legend789
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I was going to build my own, but then my parents bought me a really nice laptop for my thirteenth birthday, so I stuck with it. And it came with Vista, which is the best OS there is.>_>; I wouldn't say the best. Every version of mainstream Windows past Windows ME is NT-based, so it requires a DOS emulator, a DOS emulator on Windows*, just to play the simplest of games. So it's clearly not exactly backwards compatible. Not to mention that they keep rebuilding libraries instead of just adding on to them or fixing them. (I can't even install Quicktime/iTunes/Safari or Windows Live Messenger on my computer anymore and it's barely 5 years old :(, although I expected better from Apple.)

*Windows was originally an add-on to MS-DOS. So this is pretty controversial from that viewpoint. And as a DOS-client, I don't approve of that.

More then enough people have said that Vista is just Microsoft's attempt to approximate Mac OS X from scratch except based off of Windows. I don't exactly agree with this too much, so I won't repeat that.

And I believe that XP is better anyways and that Vista just has a nicer GUI and more support for vector graphics (which XP should've already had :rolleyes:). But Mac OS X is still pretty advanced. And if there were a computer based off of the Sega Dreamcast that had evolved up until now, nobody could touch it.

An associate of mine who works in Microsoft said good things about Vista though, so it's definitely got it's good things, but it's not for me.

So I wouldn't say that Vista is the worst system, or that it isn't the best system, but I wouldn't say that it's the best system either. That's all a matter of opinion and totally depends on the person using the computer. For example, I'd be happier getting SkyRealms of Jorune: Alien Logic running on my computer than getting Halo 5,000 running on my computer.

Btw, cool N64-style avie russadwan :) Although your older one looks cool too and this one looks a bit younger for some reason o.o

bobrocks95
07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Vista thrashes HD's and uses a TON of ram, while OS's should strive to use the least ram possible. The only advantage of Vista is DX10, and all the advantages of DX10 can be achieved with DX9 if you program correctly. Not very many things use DX10 anyway.