PDA

View Full Version : IRS scam

Xyvol
06-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Just got this in my inbox. I laughed, but I figured others might not catch it so I should warn you, just so there are no mishaps. The following is spam mail. It links to a hacked website, which re-directs to a irs mock-up site with an adress of irs-concept.fr. WTF? Since when is the IRS located in France? Remember folks, research these things, you're on the internet for cryin out loud!

"Over 130 million Americans will receive refunds as
part of President Bush program to jumpstart the economy.

Our records indicate that you are qualified to receive the
2008 Economic Stimulus Refund.

The fastest and easiest way to receive your refund is by
direct deposit to your checking/savings account.

Please click on the link and fill out the form and submit
before June 30th, 2008 to ensure that your refund will be
processed as soon as possible.

Submitting your form on June 30th, 2008 or later means that
your refund will be delayed due to the volume of requests we
anticipate for the Economic Stimulus Refund.

To access Economic Stimulus Refund, please click here."

Trevelyan_06
06-30-2008, 01:17 AM
What's really sad is the fact that there are people that will fall for this.

Breaker
06-30-2008, 05:23 AM
never click on anything like this in your email. if you even have to ask yourself "is this a scam?" yes, it 99% likely is.

AtmaWeapon
06-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Maybe you should take the links out of your post? Some people are tools and will search for "economic stimulus check" and click on the first thing they find without thinking. Google doesn't know what a site is; it just knows if a lot of people link to it it must be right!I'm beginning to think someone stole my check.

Xyvol
06-30-2008, 08:18 AM
without thinking.
These people should not be allowed to use the internet.

I originaly typed that up and posted it in myspace. When I copied it here I added the links it gave because I know some people are like me and curious about checking these things out. Most AGN users are smart enough to know what they are doing, but you are right, it could show up in a search engine. I will remove them.

I have known some people who have fallen for e-mail scams. They aren't stupid people, they just don't bother to think about it.

My payment was a month late. I had signed up for direct deposit, which was to be "deposited no later than May 16." It wasn't. I was starting to wonder if I'd get it at all, I hear rumors they we're having problems.

Trevelyan_06
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm beginning to think someone stole my check.

It goes by the last two digits of your social security number. The higher they are the later you're going to recieve your rebate.

And this http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96596,00.html is a handy little thing the IRS has that will tell you the status of your rebate and stimulus check.

MasterSwordUltima
07-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Last two digits? :( Mine are 99. :( So I'll be getting my check in what? December? -_-

AtmaWeapon
07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Turns out the reason I don't have mine yet is because June != July. I fail.

Trevelyan_06
07-02-2008, 03:18 AM
Last two digits? :( Mine are 99. :( So I'll be getting my check in what? December? -_-

Depends on whether you got a rebate through direct deposit or not. However, if you did that you should have gotten it already. I'm not sure, but I think they're suppose to be done with all of them, even the paper checks, before the end of July.

Shazza Dani
07-02-2008, 05:24 AM

More like late July, I think. Possibly August?

MasterSwordUltima
07-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Ah well, its July 2nd already, so I guess I'll be getting it soon enough. [July 2nd? That means the big PS3 firmware update is today!]