PDA

View Full Version : Fucking Army, Fucking 1SG...

Brasel
06-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Alright, so I gained weight while I've been in Iraq. I was up to 232 when I started trying to lose weight. I got myself down to 216 in about a month. Thats a loss of 16 pounds in a little over 4 weeks. Well, I had my second weigh in this month. Last month's weigh in is when I noticed I was so over weight and started losing. The maximum weight for my height of 71 inches is 189. I haven't weighed under that since my sophomore year in high school. I've always been a big guy, even when I'm in my best shape. That means I get taped for body fat percentage every time I have to get weighed in. My current body fat percentage is around 24%, and I'm allowed 22%.

After last month's weigh in, I was told that as long as I showed improvement next month, I wouldn't get flagged. Being flagged means you are barred from reinlistment (OH NO!!!...) and you can't have any favorable actions done for you, such as recieve awards or get promoted. Recently, my promotion points have finally come down far enough that I might have a shot at getting promoted to SGT. I've been waiting for this for over a year now, and I was really looking forward to it. Well, yeah, I shouldn't have gained weight, but hey, you get put behind a desk during a deployment, and have had weight problems all your life, and it kind of happens whether you want it to or not. I pretty much have to eat meagerly just to maintain my weight if I want to. I eat one hamburger or meal of greasy food that any other normal person would eat, and I gain like, 3 pounds. I've been living off of rice, salads, and the occasional ham and mustard sandwich the last month and a half to lose weight.

Well, my 1SG (First Sergeant, the top NCO of an Army Company) decided to go back on his word, and he flagged me. I lost 16 pounds, more than anyone else who had been overweight, and I get flagged. I'm obviously trying hard to lose the weight, and he decides that I have to do special population (fat boy) PT and go see a nutritionist. So, losing 16 pounds in a month, which isn't healthy to begin with, isn't good enough. So maybe I should lose another 30 in one month? Okay, and when I'm dead from malnutrition, I'll get my promotion because I'm finally within the standard. What the fuck? I make a vast improvement and show that I really care about this and I'm trying hard as hell, and I get punished. Fuck that. I'm so fucking pissed about the whole situation that I've been having anxiety attacks again. I haven't had a problem with my anxiety since JANUARY!!! Thanks 1SG. You're a real inspiration.

Aegix Drakan
06-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Man, that really just sucks. That 1SG is a total prick.

Shazza Dani
06-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Go vegan! I bet you'd lose some weight. O:>

Beldaran
06-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Instead of eating like a god damned chipmunk, why don't you just pound the gym until you are pure muscle.

Brasel
06-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Go vegan! I bet you'd lose some weight. O:>

I have been losing quite a bit of weight...

And as for hitting the gym, I have been, just not as much weight lifting as some other guys here have been doing. I'm not much for weight lifting. I've done it before, and got pretty big during the last deployment. I've been running a lot as well as dieting, thats why I lost so much in so little time. I know for a fact that I could lose 20 pounds easy within the next month, I just don't want to have to do it like that.

Zank_Tripper
06-29-2008, 11:32 PM
I don't know what to say. I'm not qualified to give my opinion on what should be a valid weight for the military. Some people are not cut out for military service. Maybe you're one of them, or maybe you're an exception to the rule. If you want moral support, I'd say do whatever you can to lose weight and appeal to those who can help your situation. But I'm sure you're already doing this.

Beldaran
06-30-2008, 12:02 AM
Just eat a bunch of shit, gain 40 lbs, get discharged, and come back to the United States and have sex with your wife.

Shazza Dani
06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Just eat a bunch of shit, gain 40 lbs, get discharged, and come back to the United States and have sex with your wife.

I'm sure she'll be so happy that he gained a ton of weight and lost his job. =|

(ITT: 1 ton = 40 lbs)

Brasel
06-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Meh, I was just heated at the time. I'm pretty much over it by now. I really have noone to blame for the weight gain but myself. I was just venting.

Oh, and gaining weight in the army these days doesn't get you kicked out. Trust me, they're keeping two guys who had drug problems and beat their wives before we deployed. I think I'm safe. :P

Trevelyan_06
06-30-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm thinking that part of the reason the 1SGT went back on his word was because the army doesn't like to make people SGT unless they've got a good chance at keeping you. Least that what's I've gathered from the people at work that were in the army.