PDA

View Full Version : Diablo III *drool*

Zank_Tripper
06-28-2008, 11:27 AM
OMG!!!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/884/884836p1.html

Prrkitty
06-28-2008, 12:34 PM
The Diablo series is and has been my most favorite game series. Diablo III!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

ShadowTiger
06-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Well that actually looks pretty cool. I love the destructible terrain, and the Barbarian seems just as badass as ever. The Witchdoctor doesn't look too shabby either.

I'll probably take another Barbarian game. I love his leaping ability.

Beldaran
06-28-2008, 01:02 PM
God damn it. There goes another 70+ hours of my life.

Peepo Man
06-28-2008, 01:48 PM
cant wait to start my skeleton army with the necromancer.

Trevelyan_06
06-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I just hope they still have the Druid and he can still change into a werewolf.

DarkDragoonX
06-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Go go gadget Assassin! And Fire Sorceress too, while we're at it.

Actually, watching the gameplay footage, I really like the way attacks have more weight behind them. In D2, everything felt really floaty in that regard, with arms flailing about at the speed of light making little thwack noises. In D3, there's a nice, solid impact, complete with shock waves, flying body parts... delightful.

I'm also really happy that they kept the isometric perspective. I've always loved the 3/4 view, and it's becoming increasingly rare as developers insist on making everything first-person or over-the-shoulder.

Archibaldo
06-28-2008, 03:11 PM
It's about time, wasn't this game announced like 6 years ago?

Prrkitty
06-28-2008, 04:24 PM
One of the sites I checked info from (and I need to find it again) said release is expected late 2010... so still 2 years from now. With all the hype I was expecting it to be a bit sooner then that.

Zank_Tripper
06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
The gameplay video on Blizzard's website is uber-cool.

Clickage (http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/?rhtml=y)

ZTC
06-28-2008, 10:22 PM
I have yet to beat Diablo 1., let alnoe touch 2 or the expansion. :( Can't wait to see the vids, but it sounds to be quite promising.

Beldaran
06-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Diablo II is lightyears ahead of Diablo I. If you enjoyed D1, you owe it to yourself to experience the sequel.

DarkDragoonX
06-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow, you haven't played D2? Diablo is like the hang glider to Diablo 2's F-14. Go buy the Diablo Battle Chest, you really do owe it to yourself. D2 stands as one of the best computer games ever made, and can more than hold it's own even today.

Given the polish Blizzard gives to all of their games, Diablo 3 has an extremely high chance of being mind-blowingly awesome. Granted, it may be a bit premature to just assume it will turn out great, but Blizzard's track record increases my faith in their products by a roughly infinite amount.

Mr. 207
06-28-2008, 11:02 PM
The game visually looks awesome. If I had one complaint from the video that was shown, it appears that the game play has been slowed down quite a bit compared to D2. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I loved the fast paced game play of D2, with a hundred million monsters coming at you at once from every direction, at all times more or less. Of course I also have to remember this is only a demonstration, and a lot can and will change before the game is finally released.

On another note, now we can get ready for the "Diablo 3 delayed" headlines to pop up as the development continues. :)

ZTC
06-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I actually bought the complete 'classic PC game box' Battle Chest at a garage sale for $1. I've been a little too busy to spend an extended amount of time on my PC anymore :(

Warlock
06-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Diablo 2 wasn't better than Diablo 1. It was better technically, yes. But it suffered from too many problems in my opinion:

Act 1: Too much like Diablo 1, but lacking all the great atmosphere from that game. Too many boring wide-open areas and not enough actual dungeons.

Act 2: Great story, but terrible boring desert terrain. Again, not enough dungeons.

Act 3: Great environments, awful, awful story and quests.

Act 4: Decent all around, but way too short.

Act 5 was the only one I felt was decent, but you have to get through the other four first.

Overall I think the outdoor environments, except the rainforest (perhaps because it was rather dungeon-like) were very boring. Most were generally:

---------------------- --------------------------
| |
| O <-well rock-> * |
| * |
| /@\ <-cave |
* |
|
| . |
| * | house-> /_\ *
| wall-> |===== |_|
| |
------------------------- ---------------------------|

With some random monsters spread out in various areas.

ShadowTiger
06-29-2008, 07:54 AM
I know, I feel the same way, Warlock. I enjoyed both Diablos a lot, but some inner species in me makes the claim that Diablo 1 still holds onto the same spirit of play that people are looking for when they crack open Diablo II to try to find it.

This whole ordeal actually looks very similar to SSB-SSBM-SSBB. The original Diablo is still fun to play, and "feel"s like Super smash bros. Each hit strikes very, very solidly. Just like in Smash bros. In Melee, you've got a bunch of fast-flowing motions that do damage but also almost seem to pass through enemies like butter. Just like Melee. In Diablo III, they improved on everything and merged what was fun about both games. Just like Brawl.

I'm hoping Diablo III won't be as monotonous as Diablo II though. A bigger backpack wouldn't hurt too. The one thing I ALWAYS hated about the series was having to town portal back into town to sell all that crazy stuff, drop it all onto the floor when I wanted to keep it, (In Diablo 1 only. :-/ ) and make repairs.

Hell, even Titan Quest lets you expand your inventory with two or three (Four?) more backpacks. That was badass. I hope Diablo II lets us do that.

Warlock
06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, I have high hopes for this based on the gameplay video at least. Even their outdoor areas looked a lot more interesting than Diablo 2's. But we'll see. The biggest thing for me will be that it needs to have a lot more dungeons than D2. The dungeons are what has all the atmosphere and cool traps and such. They are MUCH more fun to go through than the wide-open outdoor areas IMO.

Also, I believe in the gameplay video I saw a "bag" drop. He didn't pick it up or anything, but it's possible we'll be getting more inventory room through a bag system like WoW. That would be great. Because yeah, I completely agree with you. The inventory was screwed up, especially given everything was sized unlike WoW, and you only got that tiny little "bank" to put stuff.

Trevelyan_06
06-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Along the inventory lines I hope they do something too. There was nothing more frustrating than hanging on to a piece of rare set armor for ever, having it take up a huge chunk of your inventory, and then finally getting rid of it. What happens then? You find some of the other pieces to the set right after you toss it.

Hopefully they'll also work on perhaps making it a tiny bit easier to get your body back if you die right in the middle of a room full of monsters.

AlexMax
06-30-2008, 12:10 AM
I was actually kind of excited for the game before I saw it in action.

The visual style ruins it. Diablo 1 and 2 look distinctly like gothic fantasy. Diablo 3, at least from the material we can see so far, feels like high fantasy trying to emulate gothic fantasy. Oh sure the dungeons and outdoors are creepy, but it feels creepy in a "spooky undead areas from War3/WoW" kind of way, not a "dark, dreary and desolate landscape Diablo" kind of way. The art assets also have that rounded-off "Honey I used WoW reject assets" feeling to them. Hell, I almost mistook that mini-boss for a fucking Undead Abomination.

So yeah, let's wait six months for some better gameplay videos.