PDA

View Full Version : A little four-disk game called Blue Dragon

Anthus
06-26-2008, 12:17 PM
So, this game came out a few months ago, and I'm surprised I haven't seen any threads for it. I got to play through the first ~3 hours at my friends house, and I have to say, it seems cool, but it's not nearly as awesome as I thought it'd be. Granted, I barely scratched the surface, I battled around the Wastelands outside of the sheep camp for a bit (enough to fell the first boss with no real problems, though he did KO Kluke the first turn with a critical hit) so I a feel for the battle system. If you're wondering exactly how far I got, I beat the fourth party guy (his name escapes me at the moment) at the end of the Drill Machine.

It feels very old-school. Playing it feels kind of how I'd imagine a fully 3D Chrono Series game. That is partly because Akira is an art whore, and has done art for half of squares games, but who cares. The character design was kept nice and simple. There is no over-accesorising that some *Cough*TetsuyaNoruma*Cough* are notorious for. The simple and clean visuals are nice to look at after some of the more high-end stuff that has come out. The only real complaint I have is that some of the in game text is insanely small, and I was playing it on a small TV, but this is not the game's fault, it's this new fancy HD support games have. Maybe they should implement a way to detect your TV resolution (mainly HD, or non-HD), and adjust the font sizes accordingly. Now, that'd be awesome.

I also like the cameo of Gato you see near the beginning. All in all, it is a good game, at least from what I played.

What are you thoughts?

Cloral
06-26-2008, 02:58 PM
I was thinking of getting it when it first came out, but was advised that it was pretty 'kidsy' and so I skipped it. Besides, I haven't had the interest in RPGs lately that I used to, so I doubt I would've finished it anyway.

mrz84
06-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Lacking a 360 henders my ability to play this game. I have other things money needs to go to before getting a 360. Let's just say its in the top 10. :kitty:

DarkDragoonX
06-26-2008, 09:33 PM
The problem with Blue Dragon is that it's presented in a way designed to appeal to children, yet has a battle system designed to please the oldschool, hardcore crowd. A losing formula, sadly.