PDA

View Full Version : Market Research for business idea?

Beldaran
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I recently had an idea for an internet based business and I want to do some market research to investigate the plausibility and usefulness of my idea.

Does anyone have any advice on how to gauge the market potential of a business idea without showing your entire business plan to a bunch of random people, some of whom may want to steal your idea.

I know ideas are probably a dime a dozen and that execution is the real deal, but still I don't want someone to say "Your idea blows." and then turn around and make a fortune with it.

Anyway, any insights into how to properly test the waters with a business idea would be helpful. I'm not a business major (I'm in engineering), but I'm reading a couple of books on the legalities and challenges of starting and running a small business.

ZTC
06-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Well, if there's a person or two that you can really trust, and talk to them about it. Reading up on the legalities of such is a pretty good start, so you'll have an idea how to protect yourself from any bullcrap. If you can go into it a bit, it would help me understand what you are trying to do a bit better, but if that means revealing a core component, then you need not to.

The Desperado
06-25-2008, 11:34 PM
You could divide up your business plan into different sections and get feedback on the individual sections. That way no one has your complete idea and you still get some market research. Won't work on every business plan, but its an idea.

Archibaldo
06-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Work up a business plan and then get it copyrighted and or patented. A lot of the time people are too lazy to actually go through with stealing your idea. But the best advice I give you is talk to a lawyer.

Dechipher
06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I'll give you feedback. You know I'm legit. :D