PDA

View Full Version : The Legend Of Zelda 1.5

Matthew Bluefox
06-24-2008, 05:46 PM
This is the title of a completely new overworlded quest, based on the original LOZ storyline. It's similar to "Janine's New Quest" (speaking of enemies and dungeon design), however ... the overworld has been made completely from scratch and with the new tileset which is integrated in the newest beta Windows build (currently 819). The LOZ 1.5 quest therefore is all made based on the 819 Windows build.

What's been done so far? Dungeons 1 to 4 and half of the overworld (won't be as big as the original overworld, butt with just as many secrets to explore and with better enemy and item tiles, most of the items are even animated).

What's gonna be done? Dungeons 5 to 9 and the other half of the overworld. The final part (with the entrance to the last dungeon) is going to be set in night time (darker background textures etc.).

What is different to "Janine's New Quest"? There's gonna be shallow and deep water, more colors inside the dungeons, more balanced enemies (some are easier, some are harder), a wider variety of enemies, many completely NEW enemies (based on old enemies, butt the data has been entered by scratch). Additional items such as flippers, the hammer, the cane of Byrna and other stuff is added, also the arrow statue (triggered by arrows in the eye - dungeons only), ice surface, scarier dark rooms and much more is new. I can tell you some new enemies: Ice Wizzrobe, L4 Goriya, L3 and L4 Darknut (not splitting and deathknight attitude), L3 Moblin, L3 Lynel ... maybe more to come.

I will post development updates in this topic now and then, and I'll show screenshots in here, too. Suggestions are always welcome!

ms_zelda_lady
06-24-2008, 09:27 PM
It sounds great. I can't wait to see what you've come up with now. I bet everyone will love it.

Matthew Bluefox
06-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't know if "everyone" will like or even "love" it, butt Jane and I will do our best. Jane is doing the dungeons (complete overhaul of the rooms and paths, however the shape of the dungeons will stay as it was in Janine's New Quest (however, even the old design had to be rebuilt because the tileset would've turned out messed up if it was just copied from the 2.10 tileset.

Dungeons five and six have been done and the overworld is about three quarters finished. Now there's the dungeons seven to ten (yes, there will be ten dungeons instead of nine ... a bit of extra, hehe) and the smallish rest of the overworld. :)

Token
06-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Sounds exciting, Jane's 1st and 2nd quest were enjoyable. I hope this will be even better. If you need beta-testers let me know.

Matthew Bluefox
06-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Hiii this is Jane. ^^ I think Matt and me are already testing the quest often enuff. ^^ Thankies for the offer though, Token. =) Level nine is now in work, the overworld is completely finished. Screenis will follow tomorr-meow. :D I like cats, sorry for the meow. *giggles*

~ Jane

Matthew Bluefox
06-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Matt here, we're doing the final tests of the finished quest. All dungeons and the entire overworld have been finished with all secret triggers, matching enemies, proper items, etc. ... until the ladder problem (overworld) is fixed, we won't release the quest though. More to read in the bug section of the current (819) windows build of Zelda 2.11 Beta.

Matthew Bluefox
07-01-2008, 08:01 AM
The ladder problem has been fixed. The quest will be uploaded within the end of this week. Once it's done, I'll post here once again with the final link. :)

Matthew Bluefox
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Okay, the quest is now available under the following direct link:

http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/zelda15.qst

If you see a bug or if you think it's a bug, please post here or write a PM to me. Thank you! :)

patrickab7
07-01-2008, 05:00 PM
ZC crashed when I exited what I believe was a bomb bag shop...

Matthew Bluefox
07-01-2008, 05:24 PM
The bomb bag shop worked fine for me, all shops did. However, ZQuest crashed sometimes after saving a game in ZClassic. That must be something else though, I guess.

ms_zelda_lady
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I've played the first four levels and haven't had a problem yet. Been in a lot of shops including one that sells red bombs and bait. I'm finding it easier than the other quests you've made, at least the first 4 levels were. One question though. In the inventory screen in the second row 2nd item from the right what is it? It's a blue colored item that I can't figure out what it is. I tried it out but it didn't do anything.
ms_zelda_lady

Wolfman2000
07-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Here is what I've noticed on the overworld and dungeon so far. Remember, I'm on a private Mac Build, about build 828.

Red Moblins (not the starting orange moblins) take damage from the Wooden Boomerang. I am unsure if that is meant to be on purpose. I am able to stun other enemies like the new colored Leevers. The Green Peahats seem to be Keeses, in that they can be damaged while flying. The Magic Boomerang...since when could this damage enemies? Talk about having something overpowered early. I want to know how you made it so that when a candle's flame goes out, the room goes dark once again. I miss the fast text rule. It's strange actually seeing items drop from gels, keeses, and armos. There seems to be a quest rule I'm not familiar with...enemies like to travel on the edges of screens now, and you can get killed on them. I recall being able to walk along the bottom edge of screens before, and have stuff that would target me just miss. Not so in this quest. Try pausing/entering inventory while in the overworld. Seems like you can see a dungeon map in there for some reason. I am confused as to why it's there. In Level 4, right of the compass, I'm seeing Wizzrobes...that aren't firing anything...glitch? Some Wizzrobes to the west of the compass DO fire magic beams.

I'll check more later.

ms_zelda_lady
07-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Just wait til you see level 5 Wolfman2000. And here I thought I was having it easy.....lol I just finished level 5 and got the magic sword. BTW Getting anything from gels or bats is a bonus to me especially since certain items cost so much. I'm finished for today but hope to play more tomorrow.
ms_zelda_lady

Wolfman2000
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
If I can FIND Level 5, I'd let you know. However, I seem to be stuck here...there is a red wall that I can't bomb north of Level 4. Got an idea as to how to break through?

ms_zelda_lady
07-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I'll send you a pm about level 5

Matthew Bluefox
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
The wall is red ... a hint for a special item you need to use on it. ^^ As for the dungeon map on the overworld, yeah ... strange thing, I can't get it off, must be sumfin wrong with the subscreen. As for the Moblins, I'll take care of the zero-damage weapon thing. Silver boomie is supposed to damage a bit, butt not too much. The killing on the edge of screens makes the quest (specially in dungeons) a bit easier, and it's intended. :)

The wizzies in Level 4 are "Summoners" and they aren't supposed to fire anything. They're more like annoying spirits. ^^

The candle flame is a quest rule: Dark rooms stay lit after candle usage (must not be checked). About the Peahats ... they can be killed when slowing down or speeding up, butt they can't be killed while flying normally.

PS: The new quest version has been uploaded, butt since it's such a small update, it's not needed to finish the previous quest version.

patrickab7
07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Just started on this one...through four levels, now hunting for the shop with the superbombs(presume I need one of those to continue). Found the magic sword but can't get it yet(only 8 hearts). Will keep you posted.

Matthew Bluefox
07-04-2008, 05:50 PM
That's normal. After beating Level 4, you should have eight full hearts and three quarters (after claiming the two ladder-only HC pieces). So, in Level 5, you will find the last HC piece to get nine full hearts and another full HC in the boss room. After beating Level 5, you will be able to get the magical sword. The super bomb shop is on the second horizontal square row on the overworld (logically), you need to burn a green bush near the brown walls.

Edit: Under the above posted link, you can download a slightly updated QST file, you can keep playing your old savegame with the new QST basic file. Two shops have been slightly altered (taken out the bait since it's not really needed in this quest) and one warp point (it was missing before) has been inserted in front of a cave (quite in the north).

patrickab7
07-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Found that shop...just needed to check the very edges of the screens. Heh.

Six levels down right now...onward!

Matthew Bluefox
07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Coolness! I've easified Levels 8 and 9 a little bit, e. g. groups of Darknuts (L4) in Level 8 is a bit too early, so I'll save them for Level 9 only when you have the Master Sword. :) Please download this version with the newer levels eight and nine at the usual link. This is the last smaller update for a while. Have fun!

patrickab7
07-06-2008, 12:07 AM
First off: L4 Goriyas are evil.

Second off: Minor quibble on my part, but it seems like about 90% of this quest has been swatting critters to save money for shops. Main case in point: I finally saved up to buy the hammer, pounded down the stakes blocking my path to a cave, entered the cave...to find another shop.

Status update: Seven dungeons down, have explored the entire overworld. Still looking for L8, right now just saving my $ for the more expensive items that I don't have yet(biggest bomb & arrow upgrades, mirror shield) in the hopes that one of those items is what I need. Saw a strange lilypad(?) on the way to L9 but don't know what to do there. Will keep trying stuff...

Matthew Bluefox
07-06-2008, 03:04 AM
You need all the Triforce pieces anyway before you enter Level 9, and you need the Magic Key from Level 8 to open the outside door to Level 9. Level 8 is inside the north-west lake (right top end screen). Do you see the small island in the middle? Hit it with the fire boomerang from Level 7 and you should trigger the stair secret inside the lake. Swim inside and enter Level 8. :)

Yeah, there are more shops than in the original, butt you can also get more money from any sort of enemy, and there are about 300 bonus rupees to get on the overworld, and another (guessing) 600 bonus rupees in all the eight dungeons. For example in Level 5, there are two bonus caves with 50 and 20 rupees inside. In each level (except 1 and 9), there is a heart container piece and a hint room (also in Level 1 and 9). :)

Good luck finding the bonus money to buy your stuff in less time. :)

BTW: If you're in Level 7 in the dark room with the blue-black blocks and bombing south, you'll end up nowhere. That bug has been fixed (bomb-wall replaced with normal wall). DL link is still the same.

EDIT: A walkthrough has been written by Jane and me! If you need help, feel free to download the MS Word document at http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/Zelda15.doc ... have fun! :)

patrickab7
07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Completed the quest...enjoyed it, though my original complaint remains(a lot of time spent collecting money for all the shops). Funny how the fire boomerang was the only thing I DIDN'T try to throw at that lilypad thing before you told me. Walkthrough helped me find some heart pieces and info rooms that I had bypassed the first time around.

Matthew Bluefox
07-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, the walkthrough is good for playing the quest a second time and getting all the stuff. :) Thanks for the complaints as well, they were understandable, butt Jane and me decided to keep this quest as it is. Maybe the next one. ^^

patrickab7
07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Just one minor ?...the original post says the Cane Of Byrna is in the quest but I didn't find it anywhere(walkthrough didn't mention it either). Is it in the game or was it taken out before the official release?

Matthew Bluefox
07-11-2008, 12:18 AM
The COB was taken out, yes. It was planned (also a tenth dungeon was planned), butt there wasn't enuff space to get it all in this rather small overworld and dungeon worlds. I hope most people still enjoyed playing this new sort of quest by Jane and me. :)

Boommaster
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
I must not have something I need. I have been everywhere and can't see Level 5. Please help. PLEASE...

Matthew Bluefox
07-12-2008, 03:00 AM
I recommend you download the walkthrough, Boomie. :) The location of Level 5 is described there very well.

Boommaster
07-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I tried to do that but I don't have Word on my computer, only Word Perfect 12.0. I came up with a lot of stuff I will never understand. x's, o's and the such. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mcrawford
07-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I am unable to find this quest anywhere. Please help me. Where is it?????

BFeely
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Look in the first page of the post. There is a hyperlink.

Matthew Bluefox
07-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Level 5 can only be opened by a super bomb placed on a red wall where you can also find the second ladder HC piece (ladder only that is). The other ladder HC piece is just one field below at the centre top of the lake.

Edit: http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/zelda15.qst (Download Link)

Boommaster
07-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I don't have any big bombs. Is there a place I might buy any??? I know where you mean but don't have anything to blow it open. Please help. Thanks.

Legend789
07-12-2008, 08:31 PM
@ Boommaster:

After a while, MS-Word became a universal (although a bit proprietary) WYSIWYG document format, counter-reference to XHTML which is a universal semantics-based language, where there is no style and all you get is clean content and meaning. Originally Word was just meant to type stuff = P where SGML (grandparent of XHTML) was meant for writing up Physics reports easily.

Now, XHTML you can just view with your web browser, no need to download anything nowadays. Word docs aren't the same, but luckily, Microsoft made it so that you can get a Word Viewer (http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3657ce88-7cfa-457a-9aec-f4f827f20cac) without buying it. The latest version is 12.0.6038.3000 (“replacement” for version 2003). Hope that helps :) You can't make Word documents with that though.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are word viewers for anything but a Windows PC.

Although I thought I read that Word and WordPerfect became compatible a while ago :confused:

Boommaster
07-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks Legend. I do have the WordPerfect that I can switch to Word but I couldn't get WinZip let me read that file. I am using Windows now and will download the Word Fiewer you suggested. Thanks again.

Legend789
07-12-2008, 10:15 PM
No problem Boommaster :) Just helping out so that you can get to read Matt and Jane's walkthrough to their ZQuest, the Legend of Zelda 1.5, which I hope to try out soon when I get my computer working. I understand what you mean, sometimes these things — like that WinZip can't open that file — happen.

Matthew Bluefox
07-13-2008, 04:29 AM
The file wasn't zipped, Boomie, it was a plain DOC file. I wonder why you tried to open it with Winzip. ^^ Anyway, you can buy super bombs in one of the caves you need to burn with any sort of fire item (candle, wand, etc.). Did you try burning one of the green bushes when you're entering the desert area near the start? There's a small bunch of green bushes on the left hand wall side, try one of those in the upper area. :)

Boommaster
07-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Sorry bout that. When I downloaded the quest I assumed that the file in question was in that group. I have no idea where the DOC file might be. I have found Level 5 and playing it now. Thanks for the assistance though.

Matthew Bluefox
07-16-2008, 02:52 AM
The DOC file is a separate download and the link has been posted in this very thread. ^^ I assumed you downloaded it after I gave the hint to the file. :) Anyway, have fun playing Level 5. :)

Boommaster
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I haven't downloaded the DOC file you mentioned. I am now looking for level 8. I assume I'll need the big bomb to open it but haven't bombed enough places yet. Thanks anyway.:):)

Matthew Bluefox
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Actually no, you don't need the big bomb for Level 8. The way how to find it has already been described in this thread (someone else had the same problem with Level 8).

mcrawford
07-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Where can I get the walkthrough?? It is not with the current download package.

Matthew Bluefox
07-18-2008, 03:01 PM
You need all the Triforce pieces anyway before you enter Level 9, and you need the Magic Key from Level 8 to open the outside door to Level 9. Level 8 is inside the north-west lake (right top end screen). Do you see the small island in the middle? Hit it with the fire boomerang from Level 7 and you should trigger the stair secret inside the lake. Swim inside and enter Level 8. :)

Yeah, there are more shops than in the original, butt you can also get more money from any sort of enemy, and there are about 300 bonus rupees to get on the overworld, and another (guessing) 600 bonus rupees in all the eight dungeons. For example in Level 5, there are two bonus caves with 50 and 20 rupees inside. In each level (except 1 and 9), there is a heart container piece and a hint room (also in Level 1 and 9). :)

Good luck finding the bonus money to buy your stuff in less time. :)

BTW: If you're in Level 7 in the dark room with the blue-black blocks and bombing south, you'll end up nowhere. That bug has been fixed (bomb-wall replaced with normal wall). DL link is still the same.

EDIT: A walkthrough has been written by Jane and me! If you need help, feel free to download the MS Word document at http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/Zelda15.doc ... have fun! :)

Hmmm, it was posted on the bottom of the first page (look at the last paragraph). :)

Matthew Bluefox
08-11-2008, 05:30 AM
There's been a smallish problem with a locked door in Level 4. The door wasn't opened on both sides when using a level specific key. This mistake has now been fixed by opening the door manually on the other side. Download link is still http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/zelda15.qst ... you can just replace the old QST file and keep your saved states, no problem!

Matthew Bluefox
12-12-2008, 06:31 AM
I have made small updates: I lowered the prices for the costly items an also for some minor shop items, so you won't need too much time anymore to collect the money. The limits for the wallets have been lowered from 300 to 250 (with no wallet), from 600 to 500 (with the small wallet), and from 1200 to 1000 (with the large wallet). The highest priced item is still the "Mirror Shield", however it's now only 560 instead of 720 rupees. You will still need the large wallet to buy the mirror shield, however all the items are cheaper, also the wallets of course.

A few enemies have been made easier in the start of Level 2 and Level 3, at least I died too often at the Lanmolas, so I switched them to Moldorms in Level 2 and fewer Lanmolas in Level 3. :)

The download link for the tutorial (slightly altered because of the price changes) and the quest itself is still the same.

Quest Link: http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/zelda15.qst
Doc Link: http://wr2.vfusion.de/Lotz/Zelda15.doc

Matthew Bluefox
12-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Just a minor fashion update: I've recolored all nine dungeons to make them look more evil and special. :)

Matthew Bluefox
12-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Okay, there is a new title for this entire quest and I will upload it to this quest database, so there is no further need of a self-hosted link!

The link for this quest will no longer work! And I'd like this thread to be locked since I'll make a new one for the final version of this quest. :)

~ Matt

lukaz
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Can anybody tell med where the whistle is, need it to beat level 5. The help file doesn´t seems to be availible. Any tips where I can get that file ?