PDA

View Full Version : So I think...

ctrl-alt-delete
06-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I am going to mod my Wii with the TP hack today so I can try out some VC and Wiiware goodies.

Anybody else been messing around with Wii hacks?

Wish me luck!

MottZilla
06-23-2008, 02:12 PM
You can pirate Wiiware? All I know is that Wii homebrew is pretty much GC homebrew but taking advantage of the extra RAM and processor speed. Some homebrew might play with the Wii controls. But until there's an HDLoader of some kind I'm not too interested in getting a Wii and modding it. There are some good websites you should check out for Wii homebrew though. But you've probably already googled and found some.

Let us know if you find anything particularly cool.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Yeah, you can.

All it takes is someone backing up the WAD and submitting it as a file. (They are readily available...you just have to do a bit of looking.)

With a hacked Wii and the right program, you can read from SD cards.

Thus, Wiiware for free!

Darth Marsden
06-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I've done this. PM me for details of how, if you're still interested.

One thing I will point out is that I don't go downloading ever game under the sun - only ones that I already own in real life (twice for the Sonic series - Genesis and Gamecube) and Rom Injected games.

If you don't know what Rom Injection is, then basically it's taking the VC released and replacing the games with different ones.The most famous case of this is Super Smash Bros. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpfB9MqNHek), but there are others out there. I have the following installed:

- Chrono Trigger
- Earthbound (which I'll have to delete, 'cause they're actually releasing it proper)
- Secret of Evermore
- Super Metroid Design
- Zombies Ate my Neighbour

...and I also had that SNES Zelda hack (Parallel Worlds?), but I got rid of that 'cause it was too hard. I use the Gamecube controller to play them and they all play fine, though I haven't put a huge amount of time into them. I'm more into newer games at the moment.

AlexMax
06-30-2008, 12:04 AM
"So I think..."

Now just what in the hell are we supposed to infer about the thread's content from a thread title like that?

One thing I will point out is that I don't go downloading ever game under the sun - only ones that I already own in real life (twice for the Sonic series - Genesis and Gamecube) and Rom Injected games.

FYI this is still illegal no matter how you rationalize it. You're still downloading an unauthorized copy of a game.

Beldaran
06-30-2008, 12:59 AM
It's one of those things that is illegal but not really immoral.

Like driving 76 mph in a 70mph zone.

Darth Marsden
06-30-2008, 04:21 AM
FYI this is still illegal no matter how you rationalize it. You're still downloading an unauthorized copy of a game.
I know. Beldaran already summed up my thoughts on the subject.

For the curious, here's (http://wiihack.drewblaisdell.com/index.php?title=Virtual_Console_injections) the compatibility list of Rom Injected games. The sooner they find a VC release that'll run Banjo-Kazooie, the happier I'll be.

AlexMax
06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
It's one of those things that is illegal but not really immoral.

Like driving 76 mph in a 70mph zone.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Beldaran
06-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I'm not arguing with you. I agree that it is illegal.

I just personally don't feel it's very immoral. If you have a problem with my personal morality, that's fine. However, I sleep very well at night.

Anthus
06-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Dammit. It seems that Terranigma has no sound. I'd consider doing this but the only other game I would actually want is Master Quest. Majora's Mask, Earthbound, and Smash Bros will probably be all released.

MottZilla
06-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Use Wii homebrew not the VC. SNES9X GX will run most if not all SNES games very well. Much better than the shitty VC emulators.

ctrl-alt-delete
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Use Wii homebrew not the VC. SNES9X GX will run most if not all SNES games very well. Much better than the shitty VC emulators.

Did it finally surpass ZSnes? I have not played an SNES game in a couple years. Been way too fucking busy.

As for the thread content, the "so I think" was referring to that day--I am doing it sooner or later, I just actually did not get around to it.

Glitch
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Better hope you have a steady hand

ctrl-alt-delete
06-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Better hope you have a steady hand

This is not a traditional mod.

I would never do anything that would require me to install a mod chip or anything.

This is just adding data to the Wii telling it to be my bitch.

MottZilla
07-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Soldering a modchip is only good for pirating Wii games. For software you need an exploit.

You may not realize this, but while ZSNES was a favorite of many players it actually was less accurate than other emulators. The most accurate SNES emulator right now is BSNES. And it will likely never be surpassed by any other emulator as it boasts 100% compatibility and about as close to perfect accuracy as you'll get.

Darth Marsden
07-01-2008, 03:47 AM
Dammit. It seems that Terranigma has no sound. I'd consider doing this but the only other game I would actually want is Master Quest. Majora's Mask, Earthbound, and Smash Bros will probably be all released.
They've done Master Quest. I haven't installed it, but it apparently works pretty well. And Earthbound is going to be released - they've had it rated, which is all but announcing it.

ctrl-alt-delete
07-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Got it did today.

Free Wiiware is awesome.

PM me if you are wanting to do this and want some pointers or anything.

Darth Marsden
07-02-2008, 03:42 AM
'Free WiiWare' is illegal AND immoral. It's not old games being re-released for the 10th time, these are brand new games that people have worked long and hard over. You're on your own with this.

Nicholas Steel
07-02-2008, 06:08 AM
the games ARE the same as they were on the original system, they make emulators designed for each individual game though, which is the only reason they get decent speeds in n64 emulation ;P and other taxing systems.

MasterSwordUltima
07-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Personally, I think its rad. Wii Homebrew in itself, I want. Like a better internet browser, or even junk like the iPhone has, such as a Wii channel for checking your e-mail even. You'd think they'd have that on it already.

This whole illegal and immoral stuff pertains to everything that deals with roms. It doesn't mean you're getting in trouble just because you know someone who uses them. </DARE>

ctrl-alt-delete
07-02-2008, 10:51 AM
'Free WiiWare' is illegal AND immoral. It's not old games being re-released for the 10th time, these are brand new games that people have worked long and hard over. You're on your own with this.

Modding my Wii in any way at all is illegal. Considering I am a Christian, when I break the law it is immoral. Regardless of when it was released, blawdy blawdy blawdy, what makes you think I would give a shit?

If I can get it for free, without getting caught or punished in any way, I will. In that sense, what makes me different from ANYONE else? I download movies, I download CDs, I download games...the MPAA, the RIAA, and any other self righteous idiot can blow me.

I go see a movie at the theater at least 50 times a year. I buy at least 20 videogames a year. Am I trying to justify the fact that I pirate pretty much everything I can? Not at all. But the plain and simple fact is...

I pirate pretty much everything I can. And I do not care what anybody has to say about it.

Until two Asians pull up in front of my house in their Smart car, kick my front door in and say, "Wii would like to...take you to prison" I will continue to download whatever I want, whenever I want.

God, the whole "pirate" ethics thing has gone way too far. Did anyone ever wonder why they call it "piracy?"

As Jack Sparrow would say as he pointed to himself, "Pirate."

If you have a problem with piracy, keep it to yourself. Go pay for everything that you do. In the meantime, I will be saving up that money for something that I cannot get for free.

Masamune
07-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Darth Marsden's just mad is all.

Aegix Drakan
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Meh, I restrict my piracy to VG music (since it's pretty damn hard to get legally), and DS games (too many games I want to try, and I don't have the money to go buy them all. ...plus, I like the conveniance of having 10+ gmaes on one simple game-card).

Homebrew is no problem. Seriously, there's nothing wrong IMO with modding your Wii to add new features. It's pretty awesome actually. Now, pirating WiiWare...I dunno...It seems to be a good way for small time developers to get out there and show what they can do, so they can grow. I don't think I'd go for that...

But in any case, I have just one last thing to say on this topic of piracy.

"YARR!"

BTW, isn't there some new law or something coming out this month that will allow the authorities to better track and prosecute pirates? I heard some scuttle-butt about it a while back, and I'm not sure if it's actually true or if it's just a scare tactic.

Until two Asians pull up in front of my house in their Smart car, kick my front door in and say, "Wii would like to...take you to prison" I will continue to download whatever I want, whenever I want.

LOL. And then what? They're gonna tie you up with a Wiimote and nunchuk, or what?

Darth Marsden
07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow. Did I ever open a can of worms.

As I said, I only install what I think is morally justifiable - IE: VC releases that are Rom Injected, or that I already own physically. The reason I have issues with people installing WiiWare the same way is... well, the source where I get my Roms says it better then I could.

As many of you may be aware, you can now get WiiWare WAD files as well which work in the same way as the VC WADs. However, I will not be including WiiWare games [...] as I feel that WiiWare games should be paid for and not pirated. Whilst I have no objection to using VC WADs as I feel Nintendo should offer the games for free anyway, it is extremely easy to emulate VC games on a computer and the prices charged on the Wiishop are far too expensive for VC games. I think it is wrong that Nintendo is trying to cash in on games that they have already made more than enough money off.
WiiWare titles on the other hand, have been built for distribution through the Wiishop. People have put a lot of time and effort into making these titles, in fact probably more time than is put into most disc based Wii games. WiiWare enables small developers who actually give a shit about the quality of the games they make to distribute their games at a VERY reasonable price. You may argue that the games available on WiiWare are far less technically advance as disc based games and are less than 100 MB in size, but Super Mario World on the SNES is a far better game than anything on a disc and is less than 10MB.
I think its wonderful that in an industry swamped with shovelware where developers only care about how much money they can make from a game, there is a service that allows people who care to produce quality content and be rewarded for it.
Anyway, that's mostly my view (I don't agree with everything said above, but I do with a fair bit of it) . You do what you want. It's not as if I can stop you.

vegeta1215
07-02-2008, 06:44 PM

:lmao:

Not sure if anyone remembers, but I had a topic going a little while ago about the SD Media Launcher for the Gamecube. It works great, and I think it is very easy to run home brew programs with it. Well, I've only used a port of Snes9x for play SNES ROMs, but it is pretty easy.

Best of all, I don't have to worry about Nintendo because they can't update the firmware on the Gamecube like they do on the Wii, which has made it harder to run home brew software on the Wii. I know Datel (the company that makes Freeloader and the SD Media Launcher) as well as the people that discovered the Twilight Hack keep finding ways around Nintendo's updates, but who knows how long they will be able to keep doing it?

MottZilla
07-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Vegeta, Sony has been battling hackers since the PSP came out. They still haven't won, and they have alot more experience with this (firmware/system updates) than Nintendo.

Next, crtl-alt-delete, it is not illegal to modify your system. It is illegal to commit copyright infringement. There's a difference between the two things. And finally, no one here cares if you do or don't. I do think that you shouldn't pirate new WiiWare as is discourages/hurts actual working people today, where VC ROMs are just a company cash-in more or less.

Franpa, DM was talking about the new WiiWare games, not the VC games. We all know by now that VC is nothing more than a collection of poorly made emulators.

Aegix Drakan
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
We all know by now that VC is nothing more than a collection of poorly made emulators.

Agreed. I only buy a game form there if it's ACUTALLY WORTH IT.

Examples are Sin and punishment (excellent Game that used to be Japan only), and Kirby 64 (this one more for the novelty of playing on on a console again...and the fact that I can't get the damn ROM to work. Missing some kind of plugin, or somthing...)