PDA

View Full Version : So, a little dilema

Pineconn lolz
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Well, I run a web hosting company, you see.

Just very recently, the company who hosted the website for my company, well, kind of had massive server failure and went belly up. So, i'm in the process of moving my site onto one of the servers that my hosting company owns.

During this time, i've been thinking about site redesigns, and one problem with the old site was a lack of community. It felt too corporate and plain. So, what i'm considering is just making the site a VB forum, and using the paid subscription feature to do sign ups for the hosting. My question is, what do you guys think about this idea? it it too much in the opposite direction of my previous site (i.e. is it too unprofessional?). Also, what makes you buy hosting from a particular site?

I would say about 90% of my customers are just random nerds (no offense) looking for the best deal, so i'm not sure if what I even bring up is an issue or not.

Russ
06-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Don't make it too profesional. Make it seem laid back, and enjoyable.

ZTC
06-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Well, to start, how did you charge for services and the like? Charging through a subscription seems to be... different. (I'm not knocking it, but I've never heard of anyone doing it like that).
As for what I look for in hosting, I look for a good reputation and quality service/support. Also, will you be doing virtual hosting once you get everything switched over?

Pineconn lolz
06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Well, right now the way its set up (and will continue to be set up) is we offer yearly hosting plans, not monthly. This is mainly due to the fact that our hosting is so cheap already, and it would be more of a hassle from our perspective and the customers perspective to do monthly payments.

Previously, we used WHMCS to handle billing and sign ups, and while it was powerful, it was extremely difficult to modify, and like I said, I would like community features more tightly integrated into our service.

I honestly don't know of the capabilities of the VB subscription feature, but i'm looking into it now. It seems ok from just looking at it on this forum here, and i'm sure it could be extended via mods if need be.

@ZTC: We're looking into that now. We'll see if there is a demand.

ZTC
06-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, that's good, as I'm looking into possibly getting that so I can run an irc server off of it. Lemme know if you do go ahead with that, though

Pineconn lolz
06-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Well, I would continue looking around, tbh, because we would need to seriously consider the decision, gauge demand, etc.

We're looking into it, like I said, but don't expect a quick answer.

And, any more opinions on my situation would really be appreciated.

SpykStorm
06-19-2008, 04:07 PM
What is the name of your site? Just curious. The only hosting service I know of that has any forums at all is Freezoka. There, you buy premium subscriptions through PayPal (as dose this site, I believe).

Have you considered using PayPal?

Dechipher
06-19-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.lightning-z.com/

He may be able to help.
Haha.
Seriously though I have nothing to contribute to your dilemma.

I just wanted to reference Lightning Z.

Edit

Having looked around his site, I would like to express that I'm somewhat concerned at the amount of work this guy has put into creating mock AGN sites, and wonder if he's going to try to kill us.

Pineconn lolz
06-19-2008, 04:28 PM
What is the name of your site? Just curious. The only hosting service I know of that has any forums at all is Freezoka. There, you buy premium subscriptions through PayPal (as dose this site, I believe).

Have you considered using PayPal?

All payments are made through paypal with us already. As for the site, i'll make a separate thread for it later once its back up, where I could tell you about the affiliate program as well.

I have, however, decided to just go with VB using the subscription feature. Its rich enough for my needs, and it will be a little easier on me becuase (hopefully) i'll get most of the support requests directly on the forum instead of having to go through emails, and it allows other members to help with problems as well.

Eh, why not. Anyone wanna be on the support staff? I had a guy quit a few weeks ago and never got around to replacing him. I guess one or two more helpers couldnt hurt.

bigjoe
06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Having looked around his site, I would like to express that I'm somewhat concerned at the amount of work this guy has put into creating mock AGN sites, and wonder if he's going to try to kill us.

There are rumors that he's killed AGNers in the past.

Pineconn lolz
06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
There are rumors that he's killed AGNers in the past.

Sounds like a pretty messed up guy.

Aren't you guys glad i'm not/wasn't like that?

The_Amaster
06-20-2008, 08:26 AM
As for the site, i'll make a separate thread for it later once its back up, where I could tell you about the affiliate program as well.

I wouldn't because it'd likely be advertising, and well, one strike and you're out...

Maybe put a link in your sig or something?

Pineconn lolz
06-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Ah right, I forgot about that.

Eh i'll figure something out.