PDA

View Full Version : SotW 9 (winner is gray0x)

Pineconn
06-16-2008, 11:57 PM
SotW 9..... comin' atcha'!

gray0x

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm146/yargzz/zelda043.png

Look, an empty, terrible shot!

Gleeok

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/PokeMaster/gleeoksotw9.png (http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/zelda--lv2shot.png)
(click pic for larger version)

And so, having somehow managed to defeat the ephemeral-like, one brave soul (and suicidal monkey) descend into the mouth of madness, and search for the unknown. Oh crap, are those walls moving!?

mighty_darknut

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/md_sotw9.png

It's a beach! fgsfds!

Revfan9
06-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Not voting in this one.

Gray's palette turns me off, Gleeock's screen has too much repetition, and MD's screen is an empty, basic Pure shot.

Shazza Dani
06-17-2008, 03:51 AM
What's up with the outlined sand, gray0x? You'd be better off using just the normal sand tiles at the edges; it gives more of an illusion of a transition, rather than having that boxy outline.

/just a random comment

Pineconn lolz
06-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Gray0x by far. The second one, eh, not feeling it. Plus the fact I have to click to enlarge it. And the third one, well, like I haven't seen a million screenshots that look like that. Way too generic.

Joe123
06-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeaaaah Gleeok! [/gleeok fanclub]

Shazza Dani
06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
No love for Pure... Such a cruel world in which we live. ;_;

TriMaster001
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I guess I have to go with Sharon although it lacks some Pure Detail.

Shazza Dani
06-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I guess I have to go with Sharon although it lacks some Pure Detail.

It was very rushed... But thanks for the vote! =D

DarkFlameWolf
06-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Gray0x has a perfectly designed gameboy shot.

Petoe
06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Gray0x has a perfectly designed gameboy shot.

Indeed. And that's what I voted for.

Pineconn
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
For the first time in weeks, I shall give my opinions!

gray0x: Voted for your shot. For some reason I like the uniform ecru color, and the shot is relatively appealing.

Gleeok: Not really SotW quality. While it is most certainly impressive, I couldn't really vote for it.

mighty_darknut: It's not bad... except the water, for as plain as it is, covers up too much of the screen. The right side of the screen looks nice, though.

Pineconn lolz
06-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Gleeok: Not really SotW quality. While it is most certainly impressive, I couldn't really vote for it.

Yeah, honesty glee, your shot sucks. I mean, come on now.

Russ
06-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm voting for gray0x, because it an empty, terrible shot. :)

gray0x
06-18-2008, 05:38 PM
wow, people actually like it. I hate my shot, personally.

Gleeok - as I've said before, the shot it a fun playable screen, but it is not sotw worthy.
Sharon - the right side of the shot is great, but the rest is a little bland and such.

TriMaster001
06-18-2008, 07:33 PM
We are all used to call Mighty Darknut Sharon Daniel aren't we? We in PZC miss her.

@gleeok: is that supposed to be a Patra?

Shazza Dani
06-18-2008, 07:37 PM
We are all used to call Mighty Darknut Sharon Daniel aren't we? We in PZC miss her.

1) They should unban me. O:

2) I think gleeok's enemies are all scripted.

Russ
06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
We in PZC miss her.

Solution: Come to AGN. :)

Everybody there thinks so. Everybody except the Site Staff. :(

Gleeok
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM

A patra? :odd: I don't see it.

It's just one of those things you have to play to believe I guess, :shrug: otherwise you never thought it'd be possible in zc.

I suppose now looking at that shot in a different perspective, like maybe what you guys are seeing it as, It does look really bland and you're not sure what exactly is supposed to be going on there, and it is quite repetitive...though after even watching a one-second clip of it in real time, all doubt is removed.

It's just one of those things. I always have a tough time getting screenshots to come out good.

Everybody there thinks so. Everybody except the Site Staff.

Why the heck did you get banned in the first place? That made no sense.

..Then again, I'm never extremely active there...

Freedom
06-19-2008, 01:17 AM

2) I think gleeok's enemies are all scripted.

I vote they unban you too, but since I don't go to pure I guess it really doesn't matter ;)

Anthus
06-19-2008, 01:09 PM
I voted for Grey0x. I like the real GB colors. I dunno why, but it is appealing for some reason. Gleeok's is interesting, but it doesn't really fit the bill for SotW. It seems like it would be better in motion. Sharon's is nice. I like pure, but compared to the grey0x's, it is a bit less.

Man.. You don't seriously wanna go back to that shit hole filled with biggotry and stupidity, do you?

I was unbanned once... it was cool for minute. Then, it started to suck again.

gray0x
06-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Tobias, I gotta correct you. I'm not a damn Englishman, it's spelled gray0x, with a lowercase g.

Man.. You don't seriously wanna go back to that shit hole filled with biggotry and stupidity, do you?

Great quote right there though.

Russ
06-20-2008, 01:36 AM
Why is it I have a feeling this will be SotW #2 that has turned into a "I hate Pure ZC" thread? :rolleyes:

Joe123
06-20-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm not a damn Englishman

Oi!
You might not be, but some of us are!

Shazza Dani
06-20-2008, 04:31 AM
Hooray for sexy englishmen!

Revfan9
06-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Why is it I have a feeling this will be SotW #2 that has turned into a "I hate Pure ZC" thread? :rolleyes:

Why even bother talking about the shots themselves? Sadly to say it, but SotW here is exactly the same deal as it is at PZC (although that may be due to how pretty much everyone here who gives a shit about ZC, yes, all 12 of us, are also at PZC). The first opinion tends to be the only opinion and the winner can be easily predicted within the first few hours.

The_Amaster
06-20-2008, 08:33 AM
SotW Coordinator saying "get on topic, please, thank you".

TriMaster001
06-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Why even bother talking about the shots themselves?

Becasue we're not whiners like you!

Pineconn
06-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Please stop bashing Revfan, or even anyone, in this forum. If anyone feels the need to pick a fight, please take it to GB. Remember that I can give warnings and infractions within this forum.

PureZC hating is acceptable, and even encouraged.

bigjoe
06-20-2008, 04:43 PM
grayox sure knows how to make a monochromatic gameboy shot look interesting.

I dont see whats wrong with PureZC by the way.

Sam Atoms
06-20-2008, 05:03 PM
The downloadable content on PureZC is great. It's the discussion forums that people have a problem with. It's essentially MySpace with zelda-themed conversations.

Pielord
06-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Didn't like any of the shots but according to my trusty six-sided die greyOx's was the best.

Revfan9
06-21-2008, 04:56 AM
The downloadable content on PureZC is great. It's the discussion forums that people have a problem with. It's essentially MySpace with zelda-themed conversations.

Nah, it's more like 4chan than it is like MySpace.

TriMaster001
06-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Well I actually kinda agree with Rev. Most of the tiles in PureZC are already in the tilesets.

SpacemanDan
06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
gray0x
This one got my vote. It's open, yet, looks good at the same time. It's nice to see the old GB Pallette. Nice work!

Gleeok
I'm sorry, dood, but this is too repititious for my tastes. I'd imagine it would be a blast to play, but not material for a still screen-shot.

Mighty Darknut
It's alright. It's too empty for my tastes, but the design is alright. A little more detail, and this may have had my vote.

Russ
06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Nah, it's more like 4chan than it is like MySpace.
Well, whatever it's like, I like it. I've always felt more drawn to AGN, but Pure ZC has more activity and more member my age, so I post there more (although I visit both sites whenever I'm at the computer).

Shazza Dani
06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I updated my screen, if anyone's interested in seeing it:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/yeahtwo.png

Russ
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Much better. You should have submitted that one.

Gleeok
06-21-2008, 07:05 PM

It's like zc 4-bit spriters design academy and feng-shui color management for the developing artist. Someone will post a project their working on and will always get replies about how they used 'bad' colors whether they wanted to hear them or not.

They've definitely got the best resources though. ...now if only they were up to date with the current zc capabilities.

Congrats gray0x with the successful minimalist design. Is that a full quest you're working on?

Linkus
06-21-2008, 08:38 PM
It's like zc 4-bit spriters design academy and feng-shui color management for the developing artist. Someone will post a project their working on and will always get replies about how they used 'bad' colors whether they wanted to hear them or not.

They've definitely got the best resources though. ...now if only they were up to date with the current zc capabilities.

Hey, I am up-to-date thank you very much... I have pictures to show it. The problem is that people want to work with unrealistic color management--Devoting thirty-two colors to a single little sprite is a bit of an overkill, especially when it comes to just one single event. It may be pretty, but it's not when it comes to having to put other things in later on. It's called keeping consistency to a real "console"--DS, GBA, GB/GBC, NES or SNES, whatever you choose, it's best to keep within that range, no more, no less. (So, for those who don't know, that would be 16 colors for a sprite. 32 colors are acceptable as a general sprite palette, given that those sprites keep within that range, but still use 16 or less colors.)

Oh, and finally Gleeok, the 4-bit thing isn't our fault; the lack of those who look for an alternate tileset instead of Classic is their own.

(Not to mention that I'm entering...)

Revfan9
06-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Not to mention that, most of the time, when you use too many colors in a single sprite, the end result just looks bad. Keeping a lower amount of colors not only makes it easier on you and your tileset, it also will often make your graphics look more clean and appealing.

Sure you can use 16 shades of each color on a sprite, that's not a problem. The question is, should you use that many?

SpykStorm
06-21-2008, 10:55 PM
I voted for GrayOx, I liked the colors. :) Gleeok's shot has really good graphics, but is too repetitive.

SpacemanDan
06-23-2008, 10:31 AM
I updated my screen, if anyone's interested in seeing it:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/yeahtwo.png

Much better. I assume that ripples come at the top? I don't know what it is about the blue you use, but I absolutely love the blue. I don't know why, I just really like the blue you have. (Weird, I know, but I just had to say that.)

Shazza Dani
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Much better. I assume that ripples come at the top? I don't know what it is about the blue you use, but I absolutely love the blue. I don't know why, I just really like the blue you have. (Weird, I know, but I just had to say that.)

Yep, ripples appear at the top. I like the blue too; I just tweaked Pure's palette a little bit, but I think it's a big improvement.