PDA

View Full Version : quicker combo scrolling

Master Maniac
06-15-2008, 10:42 PM
some tilesets have GIGANTIC amounts of combos. that being said, even when using small mode, it's quite a tiring task to click the arrows about a thousand times to make the combo page scroll to where you want it to.

is there any way you could make it where if the mouse is over the arrows, and you use the scroll wheel on your mouse, it advances an entire page for each scroll click? this would save a lot of time for me personally... of course i'm selfish and lazy, too. I just thought it was a good idea.

bigjoe
06-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Or, you can just hold shift and press/hold Page Down/Page Up.

Gleeok
06-15-2008, 11:15 PM
yep, or Ctrl-click if you don't like lettin go o' you mouse.

_L_
06-15-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm thinking of making the combo pages scroll by just Page Down etc., since scrolling through the main panels isn't as important in Large Mode.

bigjoe
06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
If you do that , at least reverse the functionality of the other one, in case its needed

Joe123
06-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Scroll to combo.

bigjoe
06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
I neglected to mention the reason for the reverse functionality, and that would be that some people (i.e. MYSELF) can't currently access large mode. As long as theres still a way to flip the main panels in small mode I have nothing against it.

Nicholas Steel
06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
The problem BigJoe is, should the developers work around the bugs present on yours and only your computer? I doubt there are many people who can't run programs in 800x600 full screen.

No, i'm not saying THIS is a bad idea of yours, I'm just saying that future potentially false bug reports and the fact that Small mode is being phased out, are good reasons to not put great attention to what you report as a bug (or requesting to change something) in small mode. no offense.

Revfan9
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
What about people who simply don't like large mode? I think its hideous and its an abomination to all of humanity, as well as being an insult to how far computing has come in terms of making simple, easy to use GUIs.

jman2050
06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
What about people who simply don't like large mode? I think its hideous and its an abomination to all of humanity, as well as being an insult to how far computing has come in terms of making simple, easy to use GUIs.

Funny, that's precisely how I feel about small mode.

Petoe
06-16-2008, 11:12 AM
ZQuest does not need faster combo scrolling. Just use the "scroll to combo" command or press Ctrl when scrolling. Sigh.... it's not that hard, people.

And now that I'm getting used to large mode, it's pretty damn great. Whose idea was it, he needs some praise. :)

bigjoe
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
[quote=franpa;1182624]The problem BigJoe is, should the developers work around the bugs present on yours and only your computer? I doubt there are many people who can't run programs in 800x600 full screen.[quote]

Stripping small mode of a function IT ALREADY HAS in order to make large mode work better wouldn't be a bug as much as it would be an act of very poor maintenance. (Borderline retarded, actually.) and my computer can run 800x600. Just not ZQuest Fullscreen for some bizzare reason. EDIT: Resolved the problem. I guess it didn't like my monitor settings. I still use small mode though. Particularly for taking snapshots from certain dialogs and tile editing.

If small mode is going to phased out or stripped of functionality, dont even leave it in as an option. That would be misleading, if not cruel. What use would small mode be if you couldn't place items and warps or change layers from the main box?

Freedom
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
ZQuest does not need faster combo scrolling. Just use the "scroll to combo" command or press Ctrl when scrolling. Sigh.... it's not that hard, people.

And now that I'm getting used to large mode, it's pretty damn great. Whose idea was it, he needs some praise. :)

I don't care for large mode at all, what's the benefit of it?
Why the 3 rows of combos on the right?
Now that you've gotten used to it, why do you like it better?
What size monitor are you running?

The_Amaster
06-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I know why I like it better. Primarily the three combo rows. When I'm working on a dungeon say, it's nice not to have to scroll back and forth between walls and decorations and more decorations, and walls and decorations and more decorations...every single screen.
Ditto for OWs, my tree tiles are pretty far from the ground tiles and decoration tiles.

I like the command shortcut boxes on the bottom, I've already assigned Layers, Enemies, and other ones I use most screens down there. (Yeah, yeah, I know hotkeys, but I like these)

I don't get a lot of use out of the screen shortcuts, but the times when I have to keep referencing back to some screens over and over they save time.

The other stuff's all nice too.

And I run 780 x 1120 I'm pretty sure. Or if you mean physical size, like 18-24 inches I think.

_L_
06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I don't know about you, but even 2 rows of combos is pretty adjective when you're using a tileset where all the NPC sprites are on page 104 and the townhouse sprites are on page 33.

Though the third one seems to be a bit superfluous. I was just thinking... maybe post-2.50 I could replace the third one with... a combo flag palette?

Petoe
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Now that you've gotten used to it, why do you like it better?
What size monitor are you running?

The benefit of large mode: It makes building quests faster. Sure, it's only a minor help, but all those command boxes and 3 different combo tables help a lot as the tilesets I'm working on are huge.
But there was nothing wrong in small mode I have to admit. And the annoying thing with large mode is that everything is so damn small, including the tile pages etc! :(
But I'm getting used to it, and I have to say I'm starting to prefer the large mode.

I have a crappy 15-inch monitor, I run 1024 x 768.

Freedom
06-16-2008, 03:35 PM
I use the right click scroll to combo, which is fast as hell if you use it right.
The dinky size of everything in large mode is trumped by that big time.
Maybe if I get a 40 inch monitor I'll feel differently huh?
;)

I guess it doesn't matter much, since small mode is going to be stripped out though, does it?
I guess a stable release must be really close, since the program is about to where I can't use it at all anymore.

Petoe
06-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Ouch... not much faith eh? Well I don't blame you. ;) I haven't had any faith in ZC either but things are definitely better now than they were one year ago. The large mode is still a work in progress is it not? In my opinion the large mode was not needed, so again I wonder what happened to the so called feature freeze and "no more big changes" philosophy, but the large mode isn't that bad and as I said earlier it really makes questbuilding fatser. So give it some time, and maybe you will get used to it like I did.

Gleeok
06-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Large mode has really much improved. I've recently switched over to it for good. It's gotten much better than it used to be too, although the flicker is slightly annoying.

Freedom
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Ouch... not much faith eh? Well I don't blame you. ;) I haven't had any faith in ZC either but things are definitely better now than they were one year ago. The large mode is still a work in progress is it not? In my opinion the large mode was not needed, so again I wonder what happened to the so called feature freeze and "no more big changes" philosophy, but the large mode isn't that bad and as I said earlier it really makes questbuilding fatser. So give it some time, and maybe you will get used to it like I did.

Yea, you're right, I should just STFU, but it just made me a bit sore that Jman got all over you about how wrong you were and how close the program is, so I downloaded the latest and it wouldn't even run on my computer, and after DN released the 819 "fix" to get me running it still won't play my quest because of the mp3 crash bug.

It just made me believe that the program wasn't getting closer, just that less bugs were known about and reported.
Maybe it is closer, I don't know, I just know it isn't working for me.

Gleeok
06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
and after DN released the 819 "fix" to get me running it still won't play my quest because of the mp3 crash bug.

Freedom- Is there a thread for this crash bug? Does it crash always or only when you continue? ..That could be why my game crashes only for me...

Freedom
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
Freedom- Is there a thread for this crash bug? Does it crash always or only when you continue? ..That could be why my game crashes only for me...

I use a lot of mp3's in my games for little sound bits and special sound effects.
It crashes on every screen I've tried that has one, which means on about every dmap at some point or another.
The only way I can play my quest is to remove all of the mp3's from the folder.
It's reported in "new bugs"

ShadowTiger
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
I use the right click scroll to combo, which is fast as hell if you use it right.Me too. I swear, I love that feature. I keep one or two screens that I copypaste to every map of "Combo Shortcuts," just placing down one combo that is near every group of combos I often use, and right-click scroll to combo. It's the closest approximation to the desired effect I can imagine right now that's possible now. Works wonderfully.

I guess it doesn't matter much, since small mode is going to be stripped out though, does it?I really hope not. I actually still use Small mode primarily. Even if Small Mode is dimmed down to being a mere forgotten artifact, and must be accessed via a command like addy, (Which really isn't hard at all.) I'd still use it plentifully.

I really, really do love those three combo pages in large mode though. It's very handy when using large amounts of layering to construct a screen.

The large mode is still a work in progress is it not? In my opinion the large mode was not needed, so again I wonder what happened to the so called feature freeze and "no more big changes" philosophy,Oh. I actually heard that large mode was already coded in, but just wasn't user-accessible, so that didn't contribute to anything that breaks the feature freeze. It was just something to fix along with all the other bugs that were broken. Nothing new was introduced. Only bugs fixed concerning it are introducing more bugs. (It happens. It's inevitable.)