PDA

View Full Version : Linux port/open source?

heartburnkid
06-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey, I saw in the FAQ that there will be a Linux port of ZC, and I wanted to ask, will it be open source? Don't worry, I'm not one of those FOSS zealots who's going to sit here and talk your ear off about "software freedom"; I'm just getting interested in the Wii homebrew scene, and was thinking that a Wii port of ZC would be an interesting thing to work on.

DarkDragon
06-14-2008, 05:44 PM
There is already an alpha port of Linux - you can get the latest version at shardstorm.com. Opening the source has been discussed before; there are solid arguments for and against, and perhaps most importantly the project's original developer, Phantom Menace, has indicated that he wishes the project to remain closed.

heartburnkid
06-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Ah, well, that's that then. Thanks.

Kingboo30
06-15-2008, 09:26 PM
There is already an alpha port of Linux - you can get the latest version at shardstorm.com. Opening the source has been discussed before; there are solid arguments for and against, and perhaps most importantly the project's original developer, Phantom Menace, has indicated that he wishes the project to remain closed.

Why not lend the source to source to someone who could do the job for Wii Homebrew? I know for a fact that it is on major rise right now, and would give ZC a significant increase in popularity.

Master_of_Power
06-24-2008, 01:44 AM
Not until Allegro is dropped.

Nicholas Steel
06-24-2008, 09:18 AM
And not until it goes Open Source which most likely won't be anytime soon :P Oh and yea, they would need to switch from allegro in order to support non x86 CPU's.