PDA

View Full Version : SotW 8 (winner is LostInHyru1e)

Pineconn
06-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Okay okay, we finally have 3 entries. Here's the 2-days-late SotW 8.

Revfan9

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Revfan9/sotw8.gif

Alright alright, I finished my Darkworld palette. Can I go home now?

LostInHyru1e

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/zelda231.jpg

Russadwan

http://www.freewebs.com/russad/SotW%208.gif

Link tries to find his way through the northern mountain passage.

I think we need to start making SotW submissions mandatory. ;)

Shazza Dani
06-11-2008, 12:19 AM
I voted for Revfan. It's not his best work, but it's the best shot this week.

Revfan9
06-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe not my best in terms of tile work, but I'm absolute in LOVE with the palette of mine. It's easily my best custom palette, I spent like a month working on it.

Russ
06-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Revfan, amazing work! What tileset is that palette for? Please say DoR.

As for my shot, I actually made it in about 5 minutes. I just hurried and made a shot to start this contest.

bigjoe
06-11-2008, 01:15 AM
EL O EL

I voted for LostInHyrule. When I see a shot with jpeg blurriness, I try to give it the benefit of the doubt if it looks nice otherwise. And it does look pretty nice.

Revfan9
06-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Revfan, amazing work! What tileset is that palette for? Please say DoR.

As for my shot, I actually made it in about 5 minutes. I just hurried and made a shot to start this contest.

It's for a custom palette structure I made, sorry. Although I can very easily make a DoR adaptation of the palette for you if you want to use it.

Russ
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
It's for a custom palette structure I made, sorry. Although I can very easily make a DoR adaptation of the palette for you if you want to use it.
I would be very grateful if you did. The new DoR's dark world palettes leave much to be desired.

LostInHyru1e
06-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Revfan- great palette, decent design. Some cool additional graphics. But the lack of color(well, that is, lack of different color) makes it a little bit boring.

Russ- *Whacks* You mis-used Classic? (Points to top-right where corner mountain pieces are not used) Very good classic shot, though. :) I like it.

Russ
06-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Russ- *Whacks* You mis-used Classic? (Points to top-right where corner mountain pieces are not used) Very good classic shot, though. :) I like it.
Like I said, I made it in about five minutes. Besides, although I can use DoR and LttP mountains, I never quite figured out Classic mountains. :tongue:

LostInHyru1e
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
It's simple. Never make a regular square tile without something over it(a corner or a "Mountain Top" tile) and never make the square tiles corners.

DarkFlameWolf
06-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Rev - too dark
LIH - perfect
Russ - Classic

Vote = LIH

Russ
06-11-2008, 06:04 PM
It's simple. Never make a regular square tile without something over it(a corner or a "Mountain Top" tile) and never make the square tiles corners.

Okay, sounds simple enough.

Revfan9
06-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I would be very grateful if you did. The new DoR's dark world palettes leave much to be desired.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Revfan9/zelda167-1.gif

There you go. Doesn't look as good in DoR as it does in my tileset though, simply because DoR's graphics aren't made to optimize the high-contrast, dark look. I would also recommend using it with the old DoR (as I did in the above shot), since the SD3 grass makes the palette look AWFUL.

TriMaster001
06-11-2008, 08:37 PM
I would have to go with Russ on this one.

Rev - I agree with Wolfie, it's too dark. (Unless if Link's brightness matches with the pallete)

LiH - I almost voted for this but it's the water that killed you.

Russ - Well done. Looks pretty good for a Classic Shot

Russ
06-11-2008, 09:56 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/Revfan9/zelda167-1.gif

There you go. Doesn't look as good in DoR as it does in my tileset though, simply because DoR's graphics aren't made to optimize the high-contrast, dark look. I would also recommend using it with the old DoR (as I did in the above shot), since the SD3 grass makes the palette look AWFUL.
Thank you so much! I actually am using the old DoR, so it will work perfectly. Once again, thank you!

I would have to go with Russ on this one.

What? Somebody actually voted for me? I just submitted it quickly to get this contest started. And I actually got a vote! *Runs off happily*

LostInHyru1e
06-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Tri- may I ask how exactly the water killed it? I love DoR transparent water.

Russ
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm guessing because it covers so much of the screen, and there is no detail under it.

LostInHyru1e
06-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I've gotta go find some underwater detail tiles, eh?

Russ
06-12-2008, 09:21 PM
I created a thread at Pure once. And I found some nice tiles. Search around the developer's exchange there and you'll find it.

Revfan9
06-12-2008, 10:11 PM
The water kills it because the SD3 water sucks in ZC because the transparency doesn't work properly.

Shazza Dani
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I thought the SD3 water was supposed to be opaque.

Revfan9
06-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Look at it in the original game.

You can rip the tiles as perfectly as you want, but ZC will still mess it up because the SNES treats transparency differently from ZC.

TriMaster001
06-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Ignore Revfan's trash comment.

Exactly what Russ says. You need some detail.

Linkus
06-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Look at it in the original game.

You can rip the tiles as perfectly as you want, but ZC will still mess it up because the SNES treats transparency differently from ZC.

This is exactly why I wish ZC would switch to a dynamic 512 color palette;
"reference" transparency is ridiculous given that real, adjustable transparency can be done if they would just put in a 512 color palette. You can have five CSets for the level palette (80 colors...think of the beauty that would make) and ten Csets for sprites and other uses (two are level-specific Csets), a space for loading up special boss palettes, plus room for their transparencies (or double transparencies if you want). If the transparency code runs out of palette space, then it should reference to other colors. Otherwise, the transparency just doesn't cut it anymore.

Revfan9
06-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Or better yet, have it work the same way as the GBA: 16 Csets for level data, 16 Csets for sprites.

Though sadly its a dream we'll probably never be able to realize, seeing as it would require the developers to completely ditch Allegro and re-code a great deal of the program from scratch...

Joe123
06-15-2008, 07:21 AM
DN said they were going to do that post-2.5 I think.

Shazza Dani
06-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Holy crap -- It's sunday already. Look like I have less that 24 hours to make a shot and submit it.

Gleeok
06-16-2008, 03:18 PM
Holy crap -- It's sunday already. Look like I have less that 24 hours to make a shot and submit it.

Just take a shot straight out of your quest.. why do you need to make one from scratch?

I did vote for revfan. What can you say, he does good work. I don't think that pallete is too dark at all, looks great to me. :)

I submitted for sotw9, which is the shot I had for last week....but I was totally busy and forgot about it..Anyway, it's up. Which brings me to this; It seems I resized it instead of sizing it to screen... <_< so the size is off. Whomever is doing it this week just let me know and i'll redo it if you need another one.

Shazza Dani
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Just take a shot straight out of your quest.. why do you need to make one from scratch?

I'm not really working on a quest atm. All I have is test screens, most of which I've already put in SotW, or they just suck. The completed screens I've made are intended to be used in my quest, but they're just randomly place on a map for the time being.

I see SotW hasn't started yet, so I'll try to whip up a screen quickly.

Gleeok
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Ah right. Well you may have quite a bit of time seeing how most of the people running SotW are currently banned from hostrocket atm. XD

Shazza Dani
06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
They also need to clear SotW's inbox, as I just discovered when trying to send a shot.

Joe123
06-16-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm not banned.
At all.

I have no trouble whatsoever accessing the site.
And I just cleared the inbox.

How many posts do you need to get to get a 50-size inbox?

I might ask someone to up the size of sotw's inbox, cause 25 just doesn't cut it.

Russ
06-16-2008, 10:54 PM
How many posts do you need to get to get a 50-size inbox?

100, I think. And SotW has 1 post right now. :rolleyes:

So, when does the next SotW start?