PDA

View Full Version : Government unveils world's fastest computer

Prrkitty
06-09-2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/fastest.computer.ap/index.html

Quote: Scientists unveiled the world's fastest supercomputer on Monday, a $100 million machine that for the first time has performed 1,000 trillion calculations per second in a sustained exercise.

Quote 2: To put the computer's speed in perspective, if every one of the 6 billion people on earth used a hand-held computer and worked 24 hours a day it would take them 46 years to do what the Roadrunner computer can do in a single day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ummm... that's pretty damn fast! I don't understand most of all the technical stuff they explain about this new computer. Eh... either way it sounds like it'll help our world figure a lot of stuff out much faster.

Russ
06-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Wow, that's pretty fast. If only my computer went that fast. :rolleyes:

Dechipher
06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Is it a Mac?

:P:P:P

The Desperado
06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I heard they are making a port of World of Warcraft to play on it.

Aegix Drakan
06-09-2008, 10:23 PM
:P cool. Wonder how long it'll be before these are affordable...

I heard they are making a port of World of Warcraft to play on it.

Somehow...I wouldn't be surprised...:laughing:

mrz84
06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
As impressive as that is, I doubt we'll be seeing these in people's home any time soon...unless said people happen to be anybody with a VERY deep wallet. :kitty:

DarkDragoonX
06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
It may be an ultra-powerful computer capable of performing 1,000 trillion calculations per second, but can it see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Beldaran
06-10-2008, 02:44 PM
So have they asked it the meaning of life yet?

The Desperado
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM

They did. It said the answer was "42".

Russ
06-10-2008, 03:52 PM
That one's aleady been somewhat answered. Suggested reading list for you: The Bible. :D

Cloral
06-10-2008, 04:18 PM
That one's aleady been somewhat answered. Suggested reading list for you: The Bible. :D

I found the answers in said book rather lacking. I'd say that question is still open. On the other hand, I don't know that an answer is really needed. If you live your life well, isn't that meaning enough?

On topic: I wonder how much power that many cores eat up. That thing's gotta be pricey to keep running.

Beldaran
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM

If the bible really does contain the meaning of life, then it's well hidden amidst the thousands of pages of fairy tales, genocide, sexual abuse, torture, fanaticism, and occultism.

I prefer to be logical and free-thinking and so I reject the bible as a source of meaningful information. I pity those who lack the intellectual strength to do so as well.

Russ
06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
If the bible really does contain the meaning of life, then it's well hidden amidst the thousands of pages of fairy tales, genocide, sexual abuse, torture, fanaticism, and occultism.

What we have here is an inablity to see the forest from the trees. You're looking at all the detail, but missing the big picture. :)

Beldaran
06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
A thing is the sum of its parts.

Prrkitty
06-10-2008, 07:51 PM
This ain't a religious topic y'all... so back on topic - please and thank you.

biggiy05
06-10-2008, 11:32 PM

Russadwan you should know by now what happens when you or anyone tries to spark a religious debate. Don't derail the thread and get everyone started on this.

Back on topic.

Archibaldo
06-11-2008, 04:20 AM
As impressive as that is, I doubt we'll be seeing these in people's home any time soon...unless said people happen to be anybody with a VERY deep wallet. :kitty:

Well 30 years ago computers were the size of class rooms and hummed like a bulldozer while they ran. Now we have things like the iPhone. I give it 10 years until every one has a wallet sized one of these for about $200.

Sam Atoms
06-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Where was this when I was doing my graduate school research. I could have probably solved the protein folding problem for lizard food digester. In half the time I actually needed to get my degree.

Modus Ponens
06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, I heard that thing gets like forty or fifty frames per second in Crysis! Awesome.