PDA

View Full Version : Through the Fire and Flames FC'ed on Expert

DarkLink867
06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
yes, it's been done

For those who don't know, Through the Fire and Flames (TTFAF), is the hardest song to pass on Guitar Hero 3 (GH3). iamchris4life, however, has FC'ed it (FC means to hit every note and not overstrum).

Go Here for details: link (http://www.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=59752&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Youtube video: link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GpRJItqjw)

DON'T even think of flaming him, if you don't like it, than just leave it alone (especially with "get a life" comments (you need an accout to post there anyway))

I'm pretty positive this is the first mention here, considering it happend last night

/me hopes I don't get banned

Joe123
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
especially with "get a life" comments
What's wrong with other people thinking that's a bit sad?

Beldaran
06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
It's more fun to play on a real guitar.

DarkLink867
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
you'll just get flamed for saying it, that's all

ctrl-alt-delete
06-04-2008, 02:29 PM
That dude needs to get a life.

Cloral
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
DON'T even think of flaming him, if you don't like it, than just leave it alone (especially with "get a life" comments (you need an accout to post there anyway))
I don't know. The fact that you're trying to defend someone you presumably don't know is pretty sad in my book.

Russ
06-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Wow, he did the impossible! I'm impressed!

Dechipher
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM

You wish.

:P

Russ
06-04-2008, 03:33 PM
This is one of thos rare ocassions where I agree with you. Playing a real instrument is better than playing a toy version of it.

Master Ghaleon
06-04-2008, 04:15 PM

This is one of thos rare ocassions where I agree with you. Playing a real instrument is better than playing a toy version of it.

If you cant play a real guitar this is the next best thing. I am good at guitar hero but suck on a real guitar

Beldaran
06-04-2008, 04:16 PM
You wish.

:P

lol, DragonForce is not hard. Really, I'm not saying that just to sound cool. It's literally not hard. The patterns are very, very basic and easy to recreate. Playing DragonForce is like practicing your scales in fast motion. Very easy for anyone whose reached a moderately high level of playing, and I don't mean impossible high... just any old "good" guitar player can play DragonForce in my opinion. There are hundreds of amateur guitar players on youtube alone who can play that fast.

There are lots of simpler sounding guitar parts that are way harder to play because of rhythm, complexity of modal usage and/or chord inversions, or time signature. I've heard so many guitar players play like Yngwie Malmsteen but I've seen maybe one good cover ever of "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be elitist. I really like DragonForce and I own their latest CD. I listen to them when I work out. They are really good, and very skilled. I'm just saying it's not quite the impressive musical feat it has the illusion of being.

Russ
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM
If you cant play a real guitar this is the next best thing. I am good at guitar hero but suck on a real guitar
Alternativly, rather than play Guitar Hero, you could take quitar lessons, and learn a skill which will actually help you in life.

rock_nog
06-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Why does it have to be an either/or situation?

Russ
06-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Why does it have to be an either/or situation?
I guess it doesn't. That's just the way I presented it.

Archibaldo
06-04-2008, 05:30 PM
I am impressed. Now that is true skill. And I can't believe that the people on this board of all people are saying get a life. For christ sake if any one needs to get a life its us.

Apparently GH is harder to do than real guitar so it's just as cool if not cooler to be good at GH than real guitar.

Beldaran
06-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Playing guitar won't help you a lot in life with regards to finances and actual accomplishments, but it does have its value.

For instance, I am a Star Trek watching, video-game addicted, comic book buying/reading, science nerd. And yet, I've managed to have a satisfying amount of sex with several different girls of respectable hotness. This would have been impossible without guitar.

There's really not a lot else that would have got me in bed with them. I'm in acceptable physical condition, but I'm not a muscle guy. I'm thin, have a large head, and talk too much about crap no one cares about. Without guitar, I would be pussy repellent. With guitar, I can gain access to the forbidden delights of women.

Apparently GH is harder to do than real guitar

This is simply not true. It takes at least 2 years to get anywhere near good at guitar. It takes a few months to become a good Guitar Hero player.

vegeta1215
06-04-2008, 06:06 PM
That's crazy. I play guitar, and I'm okay (I haven't played much lately), but I can't play guitar hero. I don't know why though. To me, I think that would probably be easier to learn to play on a real guitar.

It's still a cool video. I would've liked to have seen his hands though. How does the tapping work? Don't you have to keep strumming? And how is he activating star power? Is there an option to do it via button rather than tilting your guitar?

rock_nog
06-04-2008, 06:11 PM
True dat. It's a little bit past my one-year anniversary of getting my first guitar, and I'm nowhere near what you'd call proficient. I understand the concepts behind it now, but getting my fingers to actually play what I want them to play still requires a lot of damn practice. With Guitar Hero, though, a few months in, and I was breezing through expert on most songs.

The thing is, I've never really compared the two. I've just always seen Guitar Hero as a fun party game and nothing more.

Beldaran
06-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I've just always seen Guitar Hero as a fun party game and nothing more.

Exactly. Guitar Hero is a great video game. Just like Tiger Woods PGA Tour is a fun (for some people) video game. Guitar Hero is about as analogous to real guitar playing as Tiger Woods PGA Tour is to playing real golf.

And I don't have a problem with that at all. I'm all for entertainment that helps popularize the things I love. (ie rock guitar)

Dark Knight
06-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Have him do it without the Hyperspeed cheat turned on and I'll be impressed. No doubt that he can do it though but the notes being closer together would make it more challenging. He's better than most of the other "100% TTFAF" video posters out there and I'd like to see if he can do it the way it was meant to be played. No cheats.

AtmaWeapon
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I think there must be some kind of parallel to Godwin's Law but it is about Guitar Hero instead of Nazis; for each post about Guitar Hero the probability that some nerd desperately trying to gain recognition from anyone who will give it will post about how much better a real guitar is approaches 1. I don't know if DDR spawned the same kind of thing, but I'm sure it did. Allow me to demonstrate:

Poster 1: Man, I love playing Guitar Hero. It combines my three loves in life: metal, video games, and being alone. What more could a man wish for.
Poster 2: Oh yeah? I play a real guitar, and my boner is so bigger than yours. Also I have 8 wives with triple D cups and Sony shipped me the prototype PS4.
Poster 1: what

It's kind of like that guy that came back to tell us how awesome being a frat boy was and we should all stop being such nerds posting on internet forums.

Beldaran
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Yes that's it. I'm desperately trying to gain recognition from you. That's why I started talking about the difficulty of playing guitar in a thread about the difficulty of playing Guitar Hero.

It couldn't possibly be because the subjects are related and involve something I'm extremely interested in. It must be because I'm just horribly desperate to impress a person on the internet.

AtmaWeapon
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah I mean sorry I missed that you managed to pack "the difficulty of playing a guitar in relationship to Guitar Hero, with analogy to how I enjoy both" into the 9 words "It's more fun to play on a real guitar."

I have yet to see a post about Guitar Hero that makes it 10 posts without someone saying that.

Beldaran
06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah I mean sorry I missed that you managed to pack "the difficulty of playing a guitar in relationship to Guitar Hero, with analogy to how I enjoy both" into the 9 words "It's more fun to play on a real guitar."

Oh, well in that case, try reading all the posts in the thread.

I have yet to see a post about Guitar Hero that makes it 10 posts without someone saying that.

Try to imagine what it's like for us. Say, for instance, that a game came out where you could simulate the experience of sitting on your ass all day critiquing other people. You'd be pointing out to all the fans of the game that you really do that activity in real life.

MottZilla
06-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Am I supposed to be impressed? Honestly I was bored out of my mind within 2 minutes. Yes, pretty colors and lots of button mashing. I'm sure it takes alot of practice to do it but who cares? You, him, and the rest of the (as South Park calls them) Guitar Queeros.

Show me something impressive next time like someone beating Contra 3 on one life without picking up any powerups. You could train a monkey to play Guitar Hero.

If it's not obvious yet, I think music games are retarded. You want to impress, don't play a plastic guitar with big brightly colored buttons on it.

AtmaWeapon
06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Try to imagine what it's like for us. Say, for instance, that a game came out where you could simulate the experience of sitting on your ass all day critiquing other people. You'd be pointing out to all the fans of the game that you really do that activity in real life.
Guitar hero required $60 cash money and 3 minutes of practice for me to start enjoying it. I don't play guitar, but I did play piano, and I can say that after a modest 50 or so hours of playing Guitar Hero, I can perform more impressively at that than I did in the same amount of piano practice. It's cheap, it's easy, it has pretty much nothing to do with playing a real guitar. I know this and I don't care; I just get tired of being constantly reminded that playing a video game about something doesn't mean I can do it in real life. I realized that about 21 years ago, but thanks for letting me know!

I've just never seen any other genre of video game that had a real life counterpart have the real-life practitioners go out of their way to look superior for doing it in real life. Tennis players like Wii Tennis. Bowlers like Wii bowling. I've never seen a boxer talk about how much more hardcore he is for doing it in real life. I know plenty of athletes that enjoy playing video games about their sport as much as they enjoy playing it in real life. I've seen articles about amateur and pro racers that express their excitement about driving simulators. I know plenty of programmers that play games about programming. Pilots log hundreds of thousands of hours a year in flight simulators. It seems like it's only guitar players who also play video games that are upset that people enjoy a simulation of their hobby.

I will give you credit. In general, posts of the type that you made take the form, "Ha ha nerds learn to play a real guitar and you'll get laid. That's why I'm posting on kotaku at 3AM; I can play Cliffs of Dover in real life and the panties hit the floor."

Beldaran
06-05-2008, 11:24 PM
You're reading way too much into what I said. I think Guitar Hero is cool.

I also think you have some weird inferiority complex.

AtmaWeapon
06-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I think it's just more that I had an internal post-it note to vent some steam the next time I saw a guitarist in a Guitar Hero thread talking about how much awesomer real guitar is; honestly you were really tame about it compared to what I usually see. Call it leftover hatred over the old persecution of video game nerds :/

bigjoe
06-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah man. If someone says I can't fall into some lava while shooting a fireball out of my nose in real life, I say I don't need to.

http://bigjoesquests.googlepages.com/lavapwned.GIF

Gleeok
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
The problem I have with this is that the video has been up for only a few days and has over half a million hits. What is the big fucking deal? I just don't get it. While I commend this Chris for "beating the game", and have nothing against Guitar Hero, (I played it once and it is kind of fun) I can't help but wonder at what point our sanity was lodged deep inside it's own ass.

Take this Video of Jason Becker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87Iz3RHZNDQ A tale of tragedy and a legend among Guitarists. When you compare the daily hit ratio between the two it's somewhere around 350 to 1. Now I ask you; Which video is more impressive?

Oh! Almost forgot:

That dude needs to get a life, and Guitar Hero is not harder to play than a real guitar. When Guitar Hero has over 20 frets and at least six strings, then we can talk.

All that said, He is definitely a bad ass at that game.

Joe123
06-07-2008, 03:52 AM
I know plenty of programmers that play games about programming.

There are games about programming?

Archibaldo
06-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Playing guitar won't help you a lot in life with regards to finances and actual accomplishments, but it does have its value.

For instance, I am a Star Trek watching, video-game addicted, comic book buying/reading, science nerd. And yet, I've managed to have a satisfying amount of sex with several different girls of respectable hotness. This would have been impossible without guitar.

There's really not a lot else that would have got me in bed with them. I'm in acceptable physical condition, but I'm not a muscle guy. I'm thin, have a large head, and talk too much about crap no one cares about. Without guitar, I would be pussy repellent. With guitar, I can gain access to the forbidden delights of women.

This is simply not true. It takes at least 2 years to get anywhere near good at guitar. It takes a few months to become a good Guitar Hero player.

I completely agree. I just made that comment because as you said earlier, any one can play Dragon Force, but only a hand full of people can play it on GH.

As for me, Guitar Hero pushed my desire to play the guitar. So I started playing. I've only been playing since christmas though.

Plus, Guitar Hero actually got me laid on one occasion.

AtmaWeapon
06-09-2008, 08:16 PM
There are games about programming?Yep. Core wars, I believe it has a cousin named robo wars, and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head. Usually the premise is you write some form of AI that you put against some other players' AI; in core wars you're trying to write a better virus than the other guy; in robo wars there's a combat focus. Some of them involve animals that must seek food, find mates, etc.

jman2050
06-09-2008, 10:21 PM
There are games about programming?

It was a programming game that got me interested in programming as a living/hobby in the first place. One of them robot games I believe.

Joe123
06-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh right =S

What's one of them robot games?

AtmaWeapon
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Is your internet broken (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=programming+robot+game&btnG=Google+Search)?