PDA

View Full Version : Why, oh why?

_L_
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
The "Secrets" Screen State signifies that the changes made by Screen Secrets should be permanent... It will always be set whenever Screen Secrets are triggered, unless:
* The Screen Secrets were triggered by Link pushing a non-silent Push Block (even if it was onto a lonely Block Trigger flag) whose combo type was not "Push (Heavy)" or "Push (Heavy, Wait)" or "Push (Very Heavy)" or "Push (Very Heavy, Wait)"I became quite upset when I discovered this. And the paranthesised part is even worse.

Does anyone know why this was originally implemented?

C-Dawg
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I dont even understand what that goobledegook means.

I bet it has something to do with the old rule that secrets on the overworld were permanent, but in dungeons were always temporary. And other than shutters (which are not implemented using secrets in ZClassic) in the original LOZ the only way to trigger secrets in dungeons was to push blocks.

Joe123
06-04-2008, 01:12 PM
It's always been like this.

I'm sure the community wouldn't mind if someone where to come along and make it a quest rule though =P

bigjoe
06-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Maybe instead of (or in addition to) a quest rule, a screen by screen drop down box. That might be going a little far though.

jman2050
06-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm almost positive it was originally done that way to keep consistent with Z1. Notably the screens on the overworld with the 3-way stairs on them that require a push block to activate, just to name an example.

_L_
06-05-2008, 03:04 AM
You mean, the fact that 1) all of the pushblocks in the overworld of Z1 are "Push (Heavy)" type and permanent, and 2) all of the pushblocks in the dungeons of Z1 are "Push (Wait)" type and temporary?

But that's irrelevant! All overworld secrets are permanent! All dungeon secrets are temporary! Adding special cases for push block combo types was quite redundant.

...Ah. Pardon me for being snappy. The real issue I have here is that a hapless user can get a "Push (Wait)" combo, put a "Push (Up, Once, Trigger)" flag on it, put a "Block Trigger" flag north of it.... and the secrets still won't be permanent. In short, there is no way for a "light" non-Bracelet-requiring push block to make secrets permanent. It is a hole in what is an otherwise comprehensive system (http://www.shardstorm.com/ZCwiki/Screen_Secrets).

Joe123
06-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Start Link with the bracelet and make it invisible then :shrug:

The bracelet's boring anyway.

Russ
06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Start Link with the bracelet and make it invisible then :shrug:

The bracelet's boring anyway.
Well, I use it.

Joe123
06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Doesn't mean it's not boring ^_^

Russ
06-05-2008, 11:21 AM
It's not if you script it to allow Link to pick up boulders and hurl them at enemies. :D

Joe123
06-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Well yeah, but no-one's done that properly yet...

The_Amaster
06-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Once 2.5 comes out, this is one of the things that should be examined for a code overhaul, along with a few other arbitrary features. (And singular flags. Hopefully someday they can work so that you can hit four seperate switches on the same screen to activate the secrets)

bigjoe
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
With scripting its easy to have that, with inherent and/or placed flag checks.

C-Dawg
06-06-2008, 11:57 PM
"Script it" is the default answer for anything. We should assume whenever someone says it's not possible, they include an exception for scripting.