PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hurricane Season!

me2
06-01-2008, 03:08 AM
As of June 1st, 00:00 ADT, The entire population of the Atlantic coast, the Caribbean, and the Gulf of Mexico began the five-month tradition of shitting bricks. That's because June 1st, 00:00 ADT commenced the official 2008 Atlantic hurricane season.

Now, I'm just as terrified of 100MPH winds and devastating torrential floods as the next guy, but I love tracking tropical storms. 2005 was incredibly exciting, producing a record number of storms (we even hit greek letters!), and Katrina, the most devastating storm since Galveston's 1901 storm.

I've been through two major storms of near-biblical proportions. If you remember, Tropical Storm Allison in 2001 hovered over Houston for about 6 days... then came back, dumping a total of 3 feet of rain and killing 24 people. Then four years later, Rita crashed in and cut power for a week. Three million evacuees GRIDLOCKED traffic (as in, literally stood still) on every highway in the city, the largest evacuation in US history... And we didn't even get hit.

Anyway, the year started off early yesterday with Arthur. Could that predict another busy season (and give Al Gore a boner) or will it be like the last two years and only produce ~10 storms?

Brasel
06-01-2008, 04:04 AM
I'm just glad that my wife moved back to Illinois and she's not in the Georgia coast area anymore. It makes me feel a lot better knowing she won't have to deal with a storm while I'm gone.

rock_nog
06-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Yet another reason I'm glad I moved from Texas to Minnesota. Try and get me now, damn hurricanes! Though then again, tornado season just got started around here recently, and even though we're at the very top of tornado alley, we still get a few - just recently had some pretty devastating ones, actually. And last night, I watched a wall cloud pass over my head (though the storm was pretty weak and there wasn't much chance of an actual tornado developing).

Aegix Drakan
06-01-2008, 10:17 AM
;) and THIS is why I love Canada. We have our crappy weather, yes, but we don't have many natural disasters. Ok, there WAS a major ice storm that hit us in '94, but I cna't really talk about that, since I was lucky enough to be in florida around the time that it hit. :P

Pineconn
06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Anyway, the year started off early yesterday with Arthur. Could that predict another busy season (and give Al Gore a boner) or will it be like the last two years and only produce ~10 storms?

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j9YzbkbPjYwP_3-9wZhTNbMcZSAQD90OC2T80

Al Gore can say all he wants, but nothing he says will remedy his status of being a moron.

phattonez
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Southern California keeps on looking better and better.

Beldaran
06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
All your speculation is useless! (http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=6dc689c1-9124-402d-89b5-4910e61f8728)