PDA

View Full Version : Why Maple is Dangerous.

Russ
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-bats052908&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Susans Rhodes though it would be a fun trip to the ball field. But when one of the players hit the ball with a maple bat, the bat exploded, and hit Susan, fracturing her jaw beyond repair.

This is why bats made of maple should be illegal. Agree?

phattonez
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Ballplayers seem to think that it gives them a little extra pop. Studies have prove that it's not true, but it's all a matter of superstition with them. The probably should be banned, it's way too dangerous to the players on the field, and now obviously to the fans as well.

Just another thing that you can thank Barry Bonds for. But hey, now that all the bats are breaking, there's not really a threat of corked bats anymore.

Cloral
05-30-2008, 08:05 PM
...which is in itself a myth. Corking a bat actually makes the ball go a shorter distance. Corked bats are usually used for batting practice, since having the ball go a shorter distance is useful since you lose less in the stands.

phattonez
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Well yeah, I don't think that any power hitters are going to use corked bats. Those are more just to increase the bat speed and increase your average.

biggiy05
05-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Ballplayers seem to think that it gives them a little extra pop. Studies have prove that it's not true, but it's all a matter of superstition with them. The probably should be banned, it's way too dangerous to the players on the field, and now obviously to the fans as well.

Just another thing that you can thank Barry Bonds for. But hey, now that all the bats are breaking, there's not really a threat of corked bats anymore.

I think the pop they think they are getting is that baseball bat breaking into how many different pieces.

phattonez
05-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Well I guess I can give them some credit thinking about that Biggiy. They must get some advantage when the bat shatters and the fielders have to worry about the ball and flying shards at the same time.

Cloral
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Well yeah, I don't think that any power hitters are going to use corked bats. Those are more just to increase the bat speed and increase your average.

But there's nothing stopping the hitter from just using a lighter bat...