PDA

View Full Version : SotW 5 (tie between Mighty Darknut and Gleeok)

The_Amaster
05-19-2008, 08:34 PM
We're down to three submissions. Come on people, submit!

Mighty Darknut
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/md_sotw5.jpg
Link searches for the Holy Grail!

Gleeok
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/Tiamat_AD/zelda035.jpg
PewPew

Russadwan
http://www.freewebs.com/russad/PZC%20SotW%20211.gif (http://www.freewebs.com/russad/PZC%20SotW%20211.gif)
A random screen from LttP DX.

Russ
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Amaster, you didn't get the image tags on Gleeok's post right, and you forgot to post a poll. :)

Edit: Nevermind, the poll just appeared afer I posted. What happened?

Edit: And Gleeok's image works now. What on Earth happened?

The_Amaster
05-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Heheh.
The forums works in such a way that a post is posted while I'm still writing the poll.
And whenever I copy-pasted Gleeok's link into image tags, it c-pd it as, well, a link, so I went in and edited it to remove the URL tags.

Russ
05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Oh, so that's why. Anyways, here is my analysis:

MD: Very nice use of Pure. Those palm tree edits are wonderful, and the amount of mountains really gives it a unique feel.

Gleeok: Scripting power! The earth in the backround is a nice touch.

Mine: Well, I though I'd make a last minute submission, and I already had taken this picture, so I quickly uploaded it, and submitted it. Can anybody figure out what LttP screen it's based off? Without cheating an looking at the minimap?

Revfan9
05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Meh, not voting. Nothing even worth the time of insulting this week.

Gleeok
05-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Can anybody figure out what LttP screen it's based off? Without cheating an looking at the minimap?

Is it the part just south of the area where you get the ocarina?

Revfan9
05-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Can anybody figure out what LttP screen it's based off? Without cheating an looking at the minimap?

I can't tell. It looks absolutely nothing like anything from LttP.

Russ
05-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I can't tell. It looks absolutely nothing like anything from LttP.
Is that so? Maybe a zoomed out view will help:
http://www.freewebs.com/russad/LttP%20Near%20Link%27s%20House.gif

Or even more zoomed out:
http://www.freewebs.com/russad/LttP%20Around%20Link%27s%20House.gif

I'm trying to make it resemble LttP, without directly emulating it.

erm2003
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
One screen to the west of Link's house? And that was without looking at your two links in the previous post.

Russ
05-19-2008, 09:42 PM
One screen to the west of Link's house? And that was without looking at your two links in the previous post.
Correct! I'm surprised somebody got it without looking at the map as a whole.

erm2003
05-19-2008, 10:03 PM
It's obvious that I know the game well... almost pathetic really. ;)

DarkFlameSheep
05-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I voted for Gleeok.

The_Amaster
05-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Okay people, we need entries. We only have one so far!
(well, two if you count the one I'm going to enter shortly)

Russ
05-23-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm working on one, mainly just to win back my reptutation at Pure ZC fcor sending the horrible one I submitted here. They have a lot fiercer competetion there, and my reputation for screen making is being torn to shreds.

Revfan9
05-24-2008, 07:38 AM
I'll enter one if the weekend gives me enough boredom to fuel my screen-making long enough to finish one.

LostInHyru1e
05-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Voted for Mighty Darknut.

Was that One Entry mine, AMaster, or did I do something wrong?

The_Amaster
05-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Yup, it was yours. Currently we also have one from me and Russ, so come on people.

Sam Atoms
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Well, it looks like our first comeback of the series has been staged by Gleeok. How do we break ties?

Russ
05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
We say my screen won. :D

Maybe we should call it a tie.

Wait, we never have anyone announce the winner of SotW. That's unprofessional.

Sam Atoms
05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Or here's another idea:

Meh, not voting. Nothing even worth the time of insulting this week.

Let's get this guy to pick a picture. His vote is needed, we have a tie to break! Having to put two screenshots side by side in the SOTW Winners thread would look odd.

Russ
05-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Okay, Revfan, which screen do you think should win?

Revfan9
05-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm picking MD. While by all technical means Gleeock's has superior graphics, it's just atrocious to look at. MD's screen isn't much better, but I'm voting for it because it doesn't have half the screen covered by lazar beamz.

EDIT: Meh, I just realized I haven't done a full-on rant in a while, where I tear into each shot, giving a complete 1-page explanation as to why it sucks and its creator needs to have its reproductive organs disabled so it never breeds.

I'll save it for SotW 7.

Gleeok
05-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Oh please, what the hell is wrong with you guys. "Please Revfan, save us!"

He didn't want to participate and now you're just begging for him to post why every shot sucks, and why one shot sucks just a little bit less? Gimme a break.

Oh and Revfan, I'd love for you to try and reproduce my screen....oh wait, that's right...silly me; It takes weeks of compiling data, graphics and scripting enemies, movement and whatever else just to have something to to take a pic of. It's not like you can simply open up a tileset and put some combos down..that sure as hell isn't going to work.

btw: Lasers > Pokemon fanboys.

The_Amaster
05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Alright guys, this hasn't gotten nasty yet, but lets cut it off now before it does.

Although I must admit I'd be interested in reading one of Revfan's long screen rants. Give me some insight into what exactly he does and doesn't like, considering it seems like he likes almost nothing.

Revfan9
05-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh and Revfan, I'd love for you to try and reproduce my screen....oh wait, that's right...silly me; It takes weeks of compiling data, graphics and scripting enemies, movement and whatever else just to have something to to take a pic of. It's not like you can simply open up a tileset and put some combos down..that sure as hell isn't going to work.

btw: Lasers > Pokemon fanboys.

A screenshot is nothing more than just what it is: A screenshot. It's an arrangement of colored blocks in front of me. In judging for a screenshot contest, nothing should be considered except the colors in those blocks and the way in which they are arranged. How much time and effort you pour into a screenshot doesn't matter if you get an inferior result.

Now, if this was a Script of the Week competition, then you could tell me all you want about the complexities of your scripted particle physics.

Pineconn
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
According to the rules (that don't exist--they're in my head), when a tie occurs, both (or all n) screenshots win. There are no arbitrary tie-breakers.

I declare that Mighty Darknut and Gleeok win SotW 5. :gavel:

Russ
05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
So, what about Screenshot of the Month. If we have one, will we just have five entries?

The_Amaster
05-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, SotM was only ever vaugely discussed, so I'm going to wait for Pineconn's final thumbs up before making a thread. But yeah, the winning shots was the basic idea.

Russ
05-28-2008, 12:29 AM
You know, I PMed Pineconn about SotM. Pineconn, hurry up and give the okay. We're already past the date for it.

SpacemanDan
05-29-2008, 07:18 PM
So both Gleeok's and Mighty Darknut's shots will be in SotM? That'll mean more shots in SotM, I guess. But, if you do end up doing SotM, will you take the first four, put them in SotM, and leave the rest for the next SotM, or will you put all the winning shots up to now in one poll? Just curious.

EDIT: Meh, I just realized I haven't done a full-on rant in a while, where I tear into each shot, giving a complete 1-page explanation as to why it sucks and its creator needs to have its reproductive organs disabled so it never breeds.

I'll save it for SotW 7.

Oh crap, I'm scared now. My shot's going into SotW 7! Please spare me!:P (Serriously, though, criticism is good.[Duh])

Russ
05-29-2008, 07:55 PM
But, if you do end up doing SotM, will you take the first four, put them in SotM, and leave the rest for the next SotM, or will you put all the winning shots up to now in one poll? Just curious.

I don't know. Pineconn hasn't even given the okay for SotM yet. Hurry up Pineconn.

Edit: My screenshot's going to be in SotW 7. I can't wait for Revfan to tear it apart. It's actually fun to read. :)

Pineconn
05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
I've been very busy. I need to complete only one more cup in Mario Kart to have a star next to my name online. :D I'm still amazed I was able to get 3 stars in Mirror Mode for the Special Cup.

Anyway, sure, let's have a Screenie del Mes. We'll just start whenever June feels like arriving so it could be the first Monday of every month.

Russ
05-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds good to me.