PDA

View Full Version : PS2

ZTC
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
I recently got the slimline version of that system, so I'm wondering what are some good games for it and what can I do to get the most of the system.
I currently have MGS2, 007 Agent Under Fire, and KOF XI for that. As for PS1 games, I have SVC Pro, Parasite Eve, FF IV, FF VIII, MM8, Battle Arena Toshiden 2, Quix Neo, Inuyasha, and Fear Effect.
Aside from that, is it normal for the slim PS2 to run hot?

ShadowTiger
05-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Okami, (A MUST.) and the entire Ratchet & Clank series. Maybe even DDR.

ZTC
05-17-2008, 01:23 AM
I'll have to see if any of the game shops hame Okami then... Once I get the money scrounged up for it, I'm definitely getting DDR and a pad, along with one of the Guitar Hero games. Speaking of it, which is the best GH game out of the series?

MottZilla
05-17-2008, 01:31 AM
It shouldn't run too hot for you to touch. Be sure the console is on a hard surface with room for air to move around it. Don't let it sit back in a corner or on a carpet or cloth.

Let us know the genre of games you like, such as RPGs, Adventure, Action, Platformers, etc.

PS1:
Castlevania Chronicles
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Descent
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Origins
Legend of Dragoon
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Mega Man X4
Mega Man 8
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Raiden Project
Star Ocean 2: The Second Story
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 2 Collection
Strider 1&2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

PS2:
Burnout
Burnout 2
Burnout 3: The Takedown
Burnout 4: Revenge
Black
Blood Omen 2 (Legacy of Kain)
Contra: Shattered Soldier (Highly Recommended)
Final Fantasy: Dierge of Cerebus
Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Hitman: Blood Money
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation Vs. Zeon
Mortal Kombat Deception
Resident Evil 4
Shinobi
Soul Calibur 2
Soul Calibur 3
Soul Reaver 2
Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven

There are more I could recommend but I'm tired listing. :p

As for Guitar Hero, I've heard from fans that say Guitar Hero 3 is where things started to go down hill.

me2
05-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Ooh! Buy Katamari Damacy!

Guitar Hero II is by far the best one; the tracklist is great, the layout works well, and the mechanics (hammer-ons, etc) are much more improved over the first one. You could just get GHIII, but there are some pretty shittty songs and even shittier character designs (The lead singer looks like he's from The Mummy; thanks, Neversoft!). Or, you could just spend a few bucks more and buy Rock Band, which is waaay better than Guitar Hero (and it's still Harmonix).

Oh, and the Mega Man/X Anniversary Collections are good deals too.

ZTC
05-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Mott, I'm more inclined to play rpgs and action/adventure games(thanks for the generous list, btw). It doesn't run hot to the point where it burns, so that must count for something. Now what are the differences between the PS2 and GC versions of Megaman Aniversary and the Sonic collections? Already have both Sonic collections and MMAC (but not the X collection) for the GC.

Archibaldo
05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
GH3 is great, but 2 is where its really at. Rockband seems fun but only if you have people to play with. Other wise it's just GH with a different track. It pretty much comes down to what version has the songs you like on it. Also, pretty soon GH: Aerosmith will be out.

DarkDragoonX
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
RPGs and action/adventure, eh? Well then, here's another massive list for you to peruse:

PS1:

These first five PS1 games get my highest possible recommendation.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
Arc the Lad Collection
Alundra
Grandia

Vanguard Bandits
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Destiny 2
Xenogears
Wild Arms
Wild Arms 2
Vagrant Story
Brave Fencer Musashi
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends 2
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

The following games are neither RPGs nor action/adventure, but come reccomended anyway:

Silent Hill
Galerians
Einhander

PS2:

I don't really have a "Top 5" list for PS2... too many to choose from!

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis
Xenosaga
Xenosaga 3 (the second game rather blows)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Persona 3 FES
Growlanser Generations
Rogue Galaxy
Wild Arms 3
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
Drakan: The Ancients' Gates
Suikoden 3
Digital Devil Saga
Digital Devil Saga 2 (make sure you play them in order)
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Grandia 2
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Tales of the Abyss
Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land
Sega Genesis Collection (Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4? Score!)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim
Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits
.hack //GU (all three)

Games from other genres that I highly recommend:

Odin Sphere
God Hand
Viewtiful Joe
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Fatal Frame
Fatal Frame 2
Fatal Frame 3
Capcom Vs. SNK 2

Okay, that's everything I can think of at the moment, in addition to what Mott covered.

MottZilla
05-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Mott, I'm more inclined to play rpgs and action/adventure games(thanks for the generous list, btw). It doesn't run hot to the point where it burns, so that must count for something. Now what are the differences between the PS2 and GC versions of Megaman Aniversary and the Sonic collections? Already have both Sonic collections and MMAC (but not the X collection) for the GC.

The PS2 Mega Man Collection features remixed soundtracks as well as the system having a better suited controller. I highly recommend it over the GameCube version. And infact the last 3 of the NES series have completed remixed soundtracks, the first 3 having partially new tracks. It is pretty sweet to play and hear the remixed music instead of the classic music as the remixes are almost all very good.

For Sonic, I have no idea what would differ. Anyway there is a very large selection of good games to get for the PS2. Have fun collecting them.

Russ
05-17-2008, 04:25 PM
There are three games you need for the PS2:

Jak and Daxter
Jak II
Jak III

That trilogy is amazing!

Brasel
05-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Rockband seems fun but only if you have people to play with. Other wise it's just GH with a different track.

Rock band is insanely awesome with other people, but I disagree that its just GH with different tracks. Rockband is WAAAAAY easier on guitar than any of the Guitar Hero games.

As other people have probably already stated, any of the Final Fantasy games that you don't already have, FF12 being one that you really can't miss in terms of the PSX/PS2 series of FF games. And if you dont' already have Metal Gear Solid 3, get it. Best PS2 Game Ever.