PDA

View Full Version : Vision doesn't sell copies

DarkDragoonX
05-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Vision Doesn't Sell Copies. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_96/537-Vision-Doesn-t-Sell-Copies)

An interesting look at the life and death of Clover studios, and why a studio that made such original, breathtaking games was disbanded.

Namely, the fact that despite the way the gaming community scream about how much they want new, interesting titles instead of Madden 2138, their wallets tell a different story.

vegeta1215
05-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeah...it's a real shame new IPs have a hard time making it in the industry. I was really late getting Viewtiful Joe (I actually got it new for $5 plus shipping of eBay), but it is such a sweet game. I thought about getting the sequel, but it sounded like more of the same, you know "me getting my ass-whooped" same. Red Hot Rumble looked fun too, but I don't have anyone to play a game like that with.

Okami was a game I'd always been interested in. If I had a PS2 in 2006, I would've bought it on day one. Alas, I didn't have a PS2, so didn't get to play Okami until it came out for the Wii. And I can say, Okami is awesome. I can't thank Capcom enough for taking the risk of putting Okami out there again, albeit for a slightly different audience on the Wii.

Rijuhn
05-17-2008, 04:09 PM
That article is very depressing. That is why I don't like most people, because of the very fact that the casual gamer, who is also the average person, has nothing redeeming about them. True talent all too often is over looked because it's original. The average moron experiences mental discomfort when they experience originality. It pains them to have to think to understand anything different than what they have been raised to believe.

Screw life.

:(

AtmaWeapon
05-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Clover is actually still alive and producing games; they are now called "Platinum Studios" and according to Kotaku they have some kind of partnership with Sega.

It is nice to see some actual sales numbers regarding their games; I always assumed that since they got such critical acclaim they sold well, but seeing the real sales numbers it makes sense why Capcom felt a need to terminate their relationship. It would have been nice if they just gave them a reduced budget, but I admit I'm not sure how economically feasible that is.

Aegix Drakan
05-19-2008, 07:34 PM
*sigh*

Yeah. The average moron can't appreciate a truly original game. They just want to blow people's heads off.

And the average moron accounts for a very good chunk of humans these days. -_-

Personally, I'll take Okami over halo/medal of honor or whatever, any day of the week. We need more games like this. Games that push our boundaries, and make us appreciate new and different things.

MANDRAG GANON
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
If anyone is interested here are 2 games recently shown that Platinum games have been working on:

Mad World(Wii):
http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/6774/t_madworld_debutv2_h264.mov

Bayonetta(PS3):
http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/6772/t_bayonetta_debut_h264.mov

I'm kind of disappointed they renamed themselves to platinum games, it makes them sound like a bargain bin company, even SEEDS, the name the chose before Platinum Games, was a decent name.

AtmaWeapon
05-22-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't think they had a choice. From what I understand, they were SEEDS until they were on the verge of bankruptcy, then they got an offer to join up with some big mysterious company; part of the deal was they would become Platinum Games.

When faced with second failure or having a stupid name, I'd pick the stupid name.