PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

DarkDragoonX
05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
I had assumed somebody else would mention this, but so far nobody has, so:

New Castlevania game, hooray. (http://ds.ign.com/articles/874/874263p1.html)

Much like the Megaman series, Castlevania is something I just can't get enough of, whether in it's classic side-scrolling format, or it's new metroidvania form. Just keep me away from those damn 3-D games! Well, except the N64 game, which I seem to enjoy despite the almost universal hatred towards it.

MottZilla
05-16-2008, 03:30 PM
That's good news they are still going on with it. I haven't played the second DS game yet, and not finished the first but they looked solid. I just hope they don't have you using the touchscreen.... You have to do that in the first one and it is retarded. Reminds me I still need to get back to Contra 4.

Warlock
05-16-2008, 04:24 PM
That's good news they are still going on with it. I haven't played the second DS game yet, and not finished the first but they looked solid. I just hope they don't have you using the touchscreen.... You have to do that in the first one and it is retarded. Reminds me I still need to get back to Contra 4.

There is no touch screen in Portrait of Ruin. I think at least after Dawn of Sorrow they realized how worthless/stupid adding that was.

mrz84
05-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Looks like an interesting game. Makes me wish I had a DS right now more than ever...:sweat:

MottZilla
05-16-2008, 05:32 PM
There is no touch screen in Portrait of Ruin. I think at least after Dawn of Sorrow they realized how worthless/stupid adding that was.

Well that's good to know. Anyway, I just haven't had the time or the will to play my Nintendo DS much lately. There's probably quite a catalog of games I could play now. I did finally take the DS out again when I found theres a very nice GameBoy Color emulator for it now. Seems to be better than the GBA's emulator "Goomba" that emulates GB and GBC. The Goomba emulator I imagine was built for the GBA Micro and NDS that lack the full GBC hardware.

I still think it's lame the Nintendo DS dropped the GBC hardware (other than the bits that were used in the GBA). Part of the appeal always was the big library stretching all the way back.

Anyways, I'll have to pickup Dawn of Sorrow or start Portrait of Ruin someday and try to play through all of it.

vegeta1215
05-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Dawn of Sorrow was pretty cool. I picked it up a few months ago after seeing it on sale for $20 at Best Buy. I hear it's pretty much the same game as Aria of Sorrow though, so I don't know if that would affect your decision to check it out...

-=SPOILER=-

I never played Portrait of Ruin, but I'm curious about this new one. Hopefully there will be something that stands out about it, cause really the formula is getting a bit stale for me.

MottZilla
05-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Well I never actually finish any of the 3 GBA Castlevanias either. I'll try to someday. But I doubt any have quite the charm of SotN.

vegeta1215
05-18-2008, 08:22 PM
I liked Circle of the Moon the best of all the ones I've played, even better than Symphony of the Night. Weird that Circle of the Moon is the only one that was developed by a different team too...

Mak-X
05-18-2008, 09:26 PM
I just hope they work on making actual levels instead of boring boxes and rectangles that made up Portrait of Ruin's levels. I'll still buy it day one though.

IGN:
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia takes place in a time after the great Richter Belmont has vanished from the lands. With the once-mighty clan of vampire hunters extinct, the world has been thrown into chaos. Dracula and his armies still thrive, so it's up to mere mortals to face off against the legendary vampire on their own. Thus, the Order of Ecclesia was born.

They're not extinct... after Richter Belmont, the Belmonts aren't suppose to wield the Vampire Killer whip until 1999. I thought it might have something to do with explaining Bloodlines and Portrait of Ruin, and since Richter became a villian in Symphony of the Night, the Belmonts lost their honor.

1up.com's preview http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3167834&p=39

I liked Circle of the Moon the best of all the ones I've played, even better than Symphony of the Night. Weird that Circle of the Moon is the only one that was developed by a different team too...

KCEK also did the two good N64 games, which are still better than Curse of Darkness (PS2, Xbox). I have the GBA Double Pack but never got around to playing Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow.

Warlock
05-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I don't know what to make of that. People keep citing that the Belmonts are extinct, but then where the hell does Julius Belmont come in?

MottZilla
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Easy, they put him into the Back to the Future time machine when it traveled back to 1885 and then he hid out till 1999... right? :p I wouldn't worry about the details till the game is actually out. Often early details are just wrong or misleading.

Warlock
05-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Easy, they put him into the Back to the Future time machine when it traveled back to 1885 and then he hid out till 1999... right? :p I wouldn't worry about the details till the game is actually out. Often early details are just wrong or misleading.

Oh, I'm quite sure it's wrong. But given it's popping up all over, either Konami said it (in which case, they should know their own franchise better than that), or they said something that people are misinterpretting (which I suspect is the case). It's just odd. But it wouldn't be the first time that gaming media were a bunch of idiots who got stuff wrong ;)

MottZilla
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Indeed. They get shit wrong constantly when it comes to early information coming out of japan especially. Even when what they hear sounds stupid, they take it as if it were the word of god. Sad really.

Warlock
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm guessing they really said something like "the Belmonts are missing" or "the Belmonts are not around" and people draw stupid conclusions from that :P

Dragon
05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
The portable Castlevania's have been pretty solid so far. My favorite are the sorrow titles, but they were all good, and news of a third ds game will make me dust my ds off once again, what can I say I just can't get enough of the Count.

One thing that always bothered me though is if everyone loved Symphony, and the portable games do so well, why can't we see a console 2d Castlevania?

Warlock
05-19-2008, 03:40 PM
The portable Castlevania's have been pretty solid so far. My favorite are the sorrow titles, but they were all good, and news of a third ds game will make me dust my ds off once again, what can I say I just can't get enough of the Count.

One thing that always bothered me though is if everyone loved Symphony, and the portable games do so well, why can't we see a console 2d Castlevania?

Because it's not profitable. Most companies take this stance. Unfortunately, 2D Gaming is considered "inferior" by many of them. They feel that people will not pay console prices ($50) for a 2D game. Thus, they keep it on handhelds, or download services like XBLA/WiiWare/PSN.

Dragon
05-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Thats a shame, companies affraid to take a risk with a solid 2d Castlevania, but often times all to willing to take a risk with a crappy 3d one. Lament was alright, but Curse of Darkness was just a mess. Castlevania is leagues off from having a 3d version that can live up to its "inferior" 2d brothers. Maybe their is still hope though, I do recall 2 recent 2d Playstation 2 games... not sure how well they sold, they reviewed well though and Konomi might take a chance one day.

MottZilla
05-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Since you brought it up, I really hoped and wished that they would port Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles to the PS2 when I first heard about it. I still wish they would do that. It's a shame there is a stigma against 2D games being on retail disks these days. But it is for real.

bigjoe
05-19-2008, 07:24 PM

I had quite a bit of fun with Circle of the Moon too. Beat all of the modes and got a pretty high level on each. And did the bear thing too XD

My favorite was Harmony of Dissonance. Some people accused it of having music that was as hard to listen to as nails on a chalkboard, but I liked it for some strange reason.

I'd pay console prices for a 2d Castlevania on a modern day system, even if it were just a download thing on XBLA or PSN.

Mak-X
05-19-2008, 08:06 PM
The whole thing about the Belmonts not being around was explained in Portrait of Ruin. There's a prophecy explaining that the Belmonts aren't suppose to wield the Vampire Killer whip after Richter Belmont until the year 1999 when Julius Belmont takes it. That's why the Morris family, who are related to the Belmonts, were given the Vampire Killer. So in between Symphony of the Night and the 1999 event, the Belmonts aren't around. (This also helps explain Bloodlines for the Genesis)

Since you brought it up, I really hoped and wished that they would port Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles to the PS2 when I first heard about it. I still wish they would do that. It's a shame there is a stigma against 2D games being on retail disks these days. But it is for real.

The PC Engine original just came out in Japan for Wii's Virtual Console, so I'm hopping that hits the U.S. eventually. I have a PSP for Dracula X Chronicles, but it should have been for PS2.

It doesn't help 2-D games either that in the past, Sony has been strict about 2-D games. They either have to be budget priced, or in a collection. They've let up a bit recently and that's why SNK has been releasing more collections lately. It's been said that Konami threatened Sony with Metal Gear Solid if Symphony of the Night couldn't be release on the Playstation in the U.S.

MottZilla
05-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I think that's not true because Metal Gear Solid wasn't a big deal until after it came out. And it came out significantly after CV SotN. Plus Sony was not against 2D games on the Playstation. It was when the PS2 came around that they were against it.

rock_nog
05-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I always struggled with CotM, but that was mainly because when I got it, I had an original GBA, and so the screen was dark as hell and I couldn't see anything. By the time I got an SP, I had lost it, or something.

But yes, I must say, I'm honestly amazed at how well the Castlevania franchise has held up, with the exception of the 3D games. I really need to get Harmony of Dissonance, though - it's the only recent 2D Castlevania game that I haven't played.

But wow, a new Castlevania game? Freakin' sweet! Though I must say - they really need to bring a 2D Castlevania game to a next-gen console. Imagine the possibilities! It would be absolutely incredible!

DarkDragoonX
05-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Personally, I'd love to see a new sidescroller, as opposed to metroidvania #87. I love the metroidvania games, too, but I'd love at least one more return to old-school Castlevania. My favorite game in the series remains Castlevania 3 to this day.

Kairyu
05-20-2008, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a well-done stage-based game again myself (I'd count Rondo but I still lack PSP), but...

Personally, I'd love to see a new sidescroller, as opposed to metroidvania #87.
Stage-based:
Castlevania (64)
Legacy of Darkness
Castlevania (NES)
Castlevania 3
Bloodlines
Adventure
Adventure II
Legends
Chronicles
X/Rondo/X Chronicles
Curse of Darkness
Lament of Innocence
Super Castlevania IV

Metroidvania:
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Simon's Quest
Symphony/Nocturne

13 to 8. Was that extra seven a typo, by any chance?

ZTC
05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
I really need to get a DS so I can play these games; till then, I can play around with my copy of Castlevaina & Contra collection for my PC.

DarkDragoonX
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Just hyperbole. I'm well aware that the old sidescrollers still outnumber the metroidvanias, but that really doesn't matter. What was the last new sidescroller released? Legends? That was just a small Game Boy title, and it was TEN YEARS ago. Since then, we've had a couple remakes (Chronicles, X Chronicles), but nothing new. You brought up the 3-D games, but those are hardly sidescrollers, especially Lament and Curse, both of which are a sort of hybrid metroidvania/action game. The N64 version bore the strongest resemblance to the original gameplay style, but even then, 3-D is not the same as 2-D.

I'd say that after ten years, it's not too much to ask for a NEW sidescroller. The metroidvanias remain fun as hell, but just because the new gameplay is fun, it doesn't mean you have to completely abandon the old, also fun gameplay.

Brasel
05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
I played Harmony of Dissonance and the GBA Sorrow title on Visualboy recently. They were both really good. I'm still kind of disappointed by the fact that the complaints of not being able to see Circle of the Moon made Konomi outline all their sprites with ultra clashing bright colors. I started playing Harmony of dissonance and was like, woah, Konomi was real spiteful about making their games easier to see.

Nicholas Steel
05-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Because it's not profitable. Most companies take this stance. Unfortunately, 2D Gaming is considered "inferior" by many of them. They feel that people will not pay console prices ($50) for a 2D game. Thus, they keep it on handhelds, or download services like XBLA/WiiWare/PSN.
the problem is the lack of people who know how to make decent levels :P you can see im right too when it comes to 3d games as well :)

afaik the reason they are not profitable is because they dont put the effort into making them decent... anyone played that contra game on the ps2? pretty terrible compared to the NES version >.>

Kairyu
05-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Just hyperbole. I'm well aware that the old sidescrollers still outnumber the metroidvanias, but that really doesn't matter. What was the last new sidescroller released? Legends? That was just a small Game Boy title, and it was TEN YEARS ago. Since then, we've had a couple remakes (Chronicles, X Chronicles), but nothing new. You brought up the 3-D games, but those are hardly sidescrollers, especially Lament and Curse, both of which are a sort of hybrid metroidvania/action game. The N64 version bore the strongest resemblance to the original gameplay style, but even then, 3-D is not the same as 2-D.

I'd say that after ten years, it's not too much to ask for a NEW sidescroller. The metroidvanias remain fun as hell, but just because the new gameplay is fun, it doesn't mean you have to completely abandon the old, also fun gameplay.
My apologies, then. I'm particularly fond of Metroid-like games, so I felt a need to defend them there.
I hadn't played the PS2 games, so I wasn't sure whether they were stage-based or Metroidvanias.
I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a new C3, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon. Not from Konami, anyway. Whoeveritis (Igarashi?) that's in charge of the series right now seems pretty Metroidvania-focused, and just in general Metroidvanias are more pick-up-and-play than the original games, which means they're likely to sell better on the DS.

Although, then again, Order is quite a deviation for him- back to a more gothic artstyle from the anime of recent games, and a female lead. Not a female Belmont, but a female lead all the same. I guess he may surprise us yet.

afaik the reason they are not profitable is because they dont put the effort into making them decent... anyone played that contra game on the ps2? pretty terrible compared to the NES version >.>
Uh... I think there's a little more to it than that. Most people aren't into 2D anymore, or at the very least aren't willing to spend the money needed to find out if they are.

ZTC
05-21-2008, 02:18 AM
As a side note, Order of Shadows was pretty lame. Yes, it's for cell phones, but it still wasn't that good. Bad controls, bad level design, no sfx... I regret paying the 7-or so dollars to download it. :mad:
Now if they would do a remake of Castlevania 3, that would be so awesome.

MottZilla
05-21-2008, 02:31 PM
the problem is the lack of people who know how to make decent levels :P you can see im right too when it comes to 3d games as well :)

Which PS2 Contra? Neo Contra wasn't very good. But Contra: Shattered Soldier was badass. If you do not like Contra:SS, you don't like Contra.

Dogchew9
05-24-2008, 11:39 PM
I just bought Portrait of Ruin the other day, but it's pretty awesome too.

Warlock
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcVXk4jiNQU

MottZilla
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Sweet. I'll definitely have to remember to pick this up when it comes out and actually take the time to get into it.