PDA

View Full Version : Swiss 'Fusion Man' Flies Over the Alps With Jet-Propelled Wings

Prrkitty
05-15-2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355609,00.html

Quote: Years ago, aviation enthusiast and inventor Yves Rossy dreamed of soaring through the sky like a bird.

In 2006 that dream took flight.

Known as Switzerland’s "Fusion Man," Rossy in November 2006 became the first man in the world to fly with wings and four jet engines strapped to his body; on Wednesday he displayed that talent to the world.

---------------

Wow!!! THAT looks like fun. Maybe... just maybe this'll come to pass and this kind of "getting around" will become common place. Not sure it's suitable for getting around for long-distance though.

Breaker
05-15-2008, 05:02 PM
He's skydiving, Prrkitty... I've seen similiar feets where men have strapped prupulsion boots to themselves and jumped from airplanes to simulate the effect of flying. This is really not that much different from hangliding or skydiving with a wing suit. This isn't practical for "getting around" anywhere.

I did four jumps last summer while doing advanced free-fall classes at Zephryhills Skydive City. I'm hoping to go back this summer and finishing my 'A' skydiving license to jump solo without an instructor. It's pretty expensive, but totally worth it. If you think this kind of stuff is cool, then you should definitely look into finding a local drop zone and doing an AFF or Tandem jump. There's nothing quite like falling 1350 feet above the earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYls-JO0pEo

The_Amaster
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Thats not flying!
Its falling...with style!

Prrkitty
05-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Well it could be the start of something big. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Russ
05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I think it is just falling, but nonetheless, it looks like something big could come out of it.

Aegix Drakan
05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
duuuude...

That's pretty sweet.

And there is no way in hell I am skydiving (or at least, not in a good long while). >_> The idea of falling 3500 feet scares the shit out of me ATM. And if that parachute doesn't open up, your helmet is now wearing YOU for protection.

:P maybe in a good few years after I've grown some guts.

(that being said, I'd LOVE to be able to fly. Heck, It doens't even have to be high altitude. Just the ability to lift off from the ground and move through the air is cool enough to me)

Flash Man
05-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I did four jumps last summer while doing advanced free-fall classes at Zephryhills Skydive City.

Zephyrhills is a funny name. Last week when I started to do some work for the city I did not even realize that the name was "Zephyr" - "Hills".

The device looks pretty neat. If it were more compact, or able to be more compact I think it would be neater, or at least much more plausable.

Breaker
05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Well it could be the start of something big. I can't wait to see how this all plays out.

It's really not that impressive. This is far more interesting,

http://www.airscooter.com/photos/w_sideview2_as.jpg

Icey
05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Wing suits are really awesome. This is pretty cool too. I've always intended to go skydiving... and I think I will do it this summer. If it goes well (and I have the money to spend), then I might consider getting certified to jump without an instructor.

Breaker
05-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Wing suits are really awesome. This is pretty cool too. I've always intended to go skydiving... and I think I will do it this summer. If it goes well (and I have the money to spend), then I might consider getting certified to jump without an instructor.

Look into AFF classes. You can jump by yourself, but two instructors jump with you and grade you on your freefall. That's what I did. I've never done a tandem jump. The best part of skydiving is landing the parachute, IMO. It was a rush.

Icey
05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I'll definitely look into that. Whether or not I actually do it depends on a couple things. I do have some money saved up for something like this (I am very frugal and rarely ever spend money on things that aren't necessary), I'm just not sure it's entirely what I want to do. I may also use the cash I have to do some traveling.

Although skydiving is looking better and better. My thought right now is I'll try one tandem jump to see how it feels and if I want more I'll start the AFF classes.