PDA

View Full Version : Oral Surgery...

Icey
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
This morning at 8 am I had four wisdom teeth removed. It's not so bad other than the fact that I have huge wads of gauze in my mouth and I don't have any idea what to eat. I'm only allowed liquids and "soft solids" (like pudding and such). Does anyone have any recommendations for something good to eat for the next couple days? The more common, the better, as I'm living on a college campus and the dining halls will be completely useless to me for a while...

Oh, and I can't even use a straw =(

Archibaldo
05-13-2008, 04:40 PM
Buy a blender.

rock_nog
05-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Soup? Popcicles? That's basically the only advice I've got. I dunno, the worst oral surgery I've ever had was a root canal, and compared to the pain of the toothache I was suffering, it was actually kinda pleasant.

Just consider yourself lucky you're not in my family... One of my sisters had this "tusk" growing out of her gums, apparently a wayward wisdom tooth, bit it was just weird. Anyway, when she had it removed, we all went out to Chili's and endlessly mocked her inability to enjoy solid foods. I come from a cruel, cruel, family and rubbing things in each other's faces is a competitive sport where I come from.

Cloral
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Milkshakes FTW. That's what my mom got me for dinner the day I had my wisdom teeth removed.

As for pain, the operation isn't the bad part, its the next couple days. I hope they gave you some pain medication to take. Then again your surgery might not have been as invasive as mine was (2 of my teeth were impacted which means they have to go a lot deeper to get them out).

DarkDragoonX
05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
As for pain, the operation isn't the bad part, its the next couple days. I hope they gave you some pain medication to take. Then again your surgery might not have been as invasive as mine was (2 of my teeth were impacted which means they have to go a lot deeper to get them out).

Oh god, the pain afterwards is the worst... all four of my teeth had some kind of complication... I don't remember if they were impacted, or went dry socket, or what, but even with whatever painkiller it was they gave me, I was in excruciating pain for the next two or three days.

Anyway, for food, I recommend milkshakes and jello. It is perhaps the least nutritious diet ever, but it kept me alive until I was able to eat properly again.

Icey
05-13-2008, 05:33 PM
4 teeth were removed, all because of bony impactions. The thing is, the surgery itself didn't bother me, nor did the first few hours after. And the wisdom teeth never really bothered me, but I guess they had the potential to become a major problem

I have Vicodin. Took one a few hours after the surgery (right before the anasthetic wore off) and I'll take one before dinner as well. Probably pop some aspirin as well if I need it.

Blender isn't an option (I hate living in dorms) but a milkshake actually is. I can get one tonight, which I think I will...

Rijuhn
05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
In terms of food I had soups, and pudding. DO NOT USE A STRAW, because the sucking of the straw can reopen the wounds and weaken the stitches.

I remember when I had all 5 of my wisdom teeth removed. I had a little tiny one that looked like a corn kernel that was above my top-left wisdom tooth. What happened to me was that 3 of the 4 wisdom teeth that were appearing had decay in them and they started to push my teeth together too much, and I was constantly biting my inner cheeks.

I remember having to wait awhile before I could eat any solid food. The first bite I had of solid food was a hamburger and it tasted like heaven!

rock_nog
05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
That reminds me, my younger sister had surgery because several of her knee tendons tore during a basketball game... To this day, she swears the vicodin was the best experience of her entire life.

The_Amaster
05-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Ooh, ouch man.
Hope ya feel better soon.

Aegix Drakan
05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Icey, may I recommend Chicken soup? It's one of the world's natural restoratives, you know.

:P It got me through my widom tooth troubles just fine. Tastes great, and it's pretty nutricious, which helps the recovery.

Just...try to keep your tongue away from the corners or your mouth... you don't want to mess with the area where the cuts wre made...*has a sudden throb in his lower right jaw*

I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed (both on the bottom). Man...the next week was terrible. Coudn't talk, couldn't eat much... Well, after the first week, it starts getting better.

biggiy05
05-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Ramen noodles.

Prrkitty
05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Chicken broth has been proven to have healing properties - on many levels. So chicken noodle soup, chicken broth, chicken and rice, etc :)

Milk shakes are ALWAYS good for "what ails ya". :)

As it's been said before, don't use a straw because the suction action can damage the incision areas... and can also break the clot loose from the sore and cause what's called "dry sockets".

Dry sockets are VERY painful... <blah>

<hug> good luck honey

Icey
05-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not at the point where I can eat anything even resembling solid food, and no noodles just yet. But so far I've progressed from yogurt and pudding to "cream of" and tomato soups and milkshakes. I think that's a pretty positive improvement...

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's actually not so bad despite the swelling because I'm really busy with school work lately and that keeps my mind off the pain (wow, I'm actually thankful for being flooded with work)

ShadowTiger
05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
To this day, she swears the vicodin was the best experience of her entire life.Wow. Lucky her. I was prescribed some Vicodin for a misc. issue I had at one point, and it did nothing. Tylenol PM had infinitely more of an effect on me, and still does.

Prrkitty
05-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Wow. Lucky her. I was prescribed some Vicodin for a misc. issue I had at one point, and it did nothing. Tylenol PM had infinitely more of an effect on me, and still does.

Vicodin affects different people in different ways. You'll also find that vicodin can make some people really really REALLY aroused/horny/etc.

Ya just never know :)

Icey... glad to know you're doing well :)
<hug>