PDA

View Full Version : My first new computer in twelve years

Zaphod Q. IX
05-13-2008, 02:03 AM
I just purchased this system from Dell. My estimated delivery date is May 22. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. :D
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/foosballpatriot/computer.jpg

As stated, I haven't purchased a brand new computer in twelve years. This is a great day for meeh.

Breaker
05-13-2008, 02:14 AM
very awesome setup. 500gb for that price and a new monitor? sweet deal.

Zaphod Q. IX
05-13-2008, 02:18 AM
Total price:
$712 with tax and shipping. Worth every penny. That will make three Dell computers in my house.

:s

Aliem
05-13-2008, 03:42 AM
That's a really good price for a computer that good.

Zaphod Q. IX
05-13-2008, 03:46 AM
That's a really good price for a computer that good.

I have Breaker to thank for that. He linked me to Dell "coupon codes". The best one I found was on the exact page Breaker linked me to. It saved me $200. These codes are completely legitimate too. Dell issues them. I had no idea.

THX BREKKAR!!!11111

;)

Aliem
05-13-2008, 03:49 AM
That rocks pretty hard. I've never heard of anything like that. =)

Beldaran
05-13-2008, 04:22 AM
I take it you don't play PC games. =)

It's a good deal. I have a Dell as well. I bought it last year with Windows XP instead of Vista, because I don't plan on ever owning or using Vista at home. I have a 2.6ghz dual core processor with 2GB RAM and only 80 GB hard drive. However, what I saved on hard drive space I spent on an Nvidia 8600 GTS video card that allows me to play Oblivion with the graphics on maximum settings. ;)

The only thing I dislike about my Dell is that the case vibrates. I currently have a giant 2000 page physics reference book and a 10 lb. weight sitting on the top to absorb the vibrations and quiet down the sound. I did some research and I found that a lot of people with the Dimension E510 (my model) have this problem.

This is the first time I've ever bought a computer instead of building one, and I enjoyed not having the hastle. However, in the future I'll probably go back to building them.

bigjoe
05-13-2008, 04:38 AM
Building them can indeed be a hastle. Especially when you're mailing off parts that crap out and having to dig up part-specific warranties.

DarkDragoonX
05-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Not a bad deal at all with the monitor included... now use all that money you saved to buy a herculean video card!

Personally, I always build my machines... not only do I get everything exactly the way I want it, but I don't have to deal with Retarded Case Syndrome, wherein premade PC cases inevitably have some really stupid bit of design. Dell is a big offender, ironically. I've seen Dell cases with all kinds of annoyances, from Beldaran's vibration problem to case latches designed by the Marquis de Sade.

Oh, and while we're on the topic of PCs, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the best case ever is the Gigabyte 3D Aurora (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Chassis/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2322), though. Well, at least the old Aurora model is. I haven't tried the 570 yet.

Breaker
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
I don't buy anything on the internet without first googling for coupons. You'd be surprised what kind of awesome deals you can find.

www.CouponCabin.com www.couponmountain.com www.DealCatcher.com etc

AlphaDawg
05-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Nice computer. I hope it works well for you. I was a former Dell onsite technician... as such I highly recommend the first thing you do after setting up the system is put your Vista disc in the drive and WIPE THAT SYSTEM CLEAN! Dell ships their systems with so much useless garbage! Install Vista, the drivers, and only software you will actually use. That's the first thing I did with my Compaq laptop when I got it 2 years ago.

Also let me know if BancTec is the company that owns your warranty. If so, I pray for you should your computer need service...

I'll never forget the first time I worked on a 530 series desktop. I opened it up and said, "oh my God, Dell's ripping off HP!" Seriously, they look exactly like HPs did a couple years back, down to their Bestec power supplies.

The only thing I dislike about my Dell is that the case vibrates. I currently have a giant 2000 page physics reference book and a 10 lb. weight sitting on the top to absorb the vibrations and quiet down the sound. I did some research and I found that a lot of people with the Dimension E510 (my model) have this problem.Again, drawing on my experience as a former technician, I can say with relative certainty the noise problem is due to Dell switching from an 80mm processor fan in the previous product line to a 120mm fan starting with your line. Your model also has an optional 80mm fan to cool your PCI cards. If you have that fan installed it will undoubtedly contribute to the noise. Also the fans are in the front of the case now instead of the rear (BTX vs. ATX case design). If that wasn't enough, your model is also a notorious dust magnet. Make sure you clean the vents, fan, and heatsink with compressed air regularly. But of course you already knew that... ;)

Zaphod Q. IX
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
...as such I highly recommend the first thing you do after setting up the system is put your Vista disc in the drive and WIPE THAT SYSTEM CLEAN!
That's was the plan, from the beginning. ;)

...let me know if BancTec is the company that owns your warranty. If so, I pray for you...

EDIT: Bantec does in fact own the warranty.
:shrug:
I'm not planning on having to use the warranty, and if I do have to...
I'm not exactly a push-over when dealing with things like that. ;)

Make sure you clean the vents, fan, and heatsink with compressed air regularly. But of course you already knew that... ;)
You're supposed to clean these things?

AlphaDawg
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Just noticed... happy birthday Zaph! Nice birthday present!

Also happy birthday to my friend Dragon who turned the big 3-0 today! I'm still a year-and-a-half away from that, thank goodness!

Hopefully, if you do need service, BunkTek BancTec won't send out an incompetent boob to work on your system. Should you need service, feel free to contact me if you need help dealing with Dell or BunkTek BancTec.

Zaphod Q. IX
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Just noticed... happy birthday Zaph! Nice birthday present!

Thank you!
It seems I don't rate a "Happy Birthday" thread...I guess I'll start my own. :rolleyes:

...Should you need service, feel free to contact me if you need help dealing with Dell or BunkTek BancTec.
I don't foresee problems, actually. I've had nothing but good times with Dell computers in the past. It is comforting to know, though, that I can rely on your expertise should I have issues.

DarkDragoonX
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Oh wow, it is your birthday. I never check the announcements, I'm so used to Prrkitty always having a thread up.

Happy birthday, Zaph!

Zaphod Q. IX
05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Shipped Date: 5/15/2008
Est. Delivery Date: 5/20/2008
:o