PDA

View Full Version : I swear I didn't do anything.

AaronJer
05-07-2008, 01:24 AM
I do seem to be IP banned from this site. I can't imagine why. I'm connecting through a proxy server so I can complain. I don't want to have to use an IP that's in Vietnam when I want to connect to this site for the rest of my life... they are very slow. Does anyone know how to resolve this?

erm2003
05-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Try clearing out your cookies and temp files. See if that resolves any issues. That fixed a problem I once had with connecting.

AaronJer
05-08-2008, 01:15 AM
That didn't help. In fact, it made things worse. This site wouldn't load at all until I reinstalled my browser. Now I've gotten my proxy stuff to work again and I'm still certain I must be IP banned somehow. No computer can get to this site from my normal IP and if I use a different IP and log on as AaronJer it also stops being able to connect to this site after a minute. The only reason I can post right now is due to the fact that my IP changes every 30 seconds. Obviously, that is very, very slow. The QDB page times out before it will load so I can't submit my quest. It has at least given me time to add in some extra stuff...

I really think of anything that could be going on other than me being IP banned, and my account having a IP ban flag attached to it or something. That probably doesn't make any sense... but then what IS going on?!

Every other page on the internet functions totally normally for me, it's just this one. I've tried IE 6, IE 7, and firefox. I've tried a computer that was just formatted and I've tried trying to connect from a different OS. I've even tried my computer using other IPs just to make sure, the whole proxy thing and just going to someone else's house and it loads fine. I really don't think it's anything on my end.

Gleeok
05-08-2008, 01:54 AM
I'm having the same problem here too. I've contacted an Administrator about the issue, so hopefully it can be resolved. No need to fuss with your computer any more, as that is cleary not the cause. Also just curiosity on my part, but who is your ISP?

AaronJer
05-08-2008, 03:53 AM
My ISP is Comcast, but here's my take on what the problem might be since the banning is random. It's probably the host this site is using, which I'm fairly certain is hostrocket.com. It could either be that they are just really paranoid and ban large subsets of IPs (ones starting with 76 for instance, or possibly certain cities or countries), ours included, or it could be that they are using an older version of PHP that still has index slip problems.

With either of those problems we're pretty much screwed. Here's hoping it's something else!

erm2003
05-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Do either of you have a firewall program that you recently updated and is now blocking or slowing the site for some reason? Try adding www.armageddongames.net as a safe site and see if that works too. Sorry the other suggestion didn't do anything, but I am just suggesting stuff I had to do at some point with various sites to get them to work properly.

Gleeok
05-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Well good news, whatever crap hostrocket was doing is over it seems. I just tried to get via a proxy, but the page timed out, so I tried it directly and here I am.

It could either be that they are just really paranoid and ban large subsets of IPs (ones starting with 76 for instance)

Coincedence that my IP is 76*...? I don't know, but man I hate using proxys.

I'm assuming it should work for you too. Hope it does.

EDIT: Goddamn that's good. The forum loads like 10,000* times faster now.

AaronJer
05-09-2008, 01:50 PM
It's not a coincidence, they must have banned 76.* or a smaller subset than that that we are both in. There's no way that would just line up randomly in a situation like this... :D

It worked for me for a minute, but sadly, I got banned again after a minute just like when I log on with my account on other computers. I hope that didn't get you banned again in the process. I'll just have to make a new account for the next time it starts working again, IF it starts working again. My account clearly has some kind of ban flag on it, no matter how little sense that makes. (It's totally that php index slip thing I was talking about!)

AaronJerNoBan
05-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Hopefully THIS will solve the problem... eventually. This is a testament to my strong desire to be involved with Zelda Classic... normally I would have given up and left by now because I don't usually put up with crap like this.

God knows how many other people are banned that don't know how to use a proxy... this could be really bad! Somebody ought to contact hostrocket.com or get whoever owns this site to change to a different host.

Sam Atoms
05-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Somebody ought to contact hostrocket.com or get whoever owns this site to change to a different host.

Well, we nearly managed to go 7 years without host problems, in fact it had gotten to the point where I forgot who they were. That could be a rule for a large internet community - - if you don't know who the host is, they're probably doing a good job.

As it is, I casually suggest letting go of horsenutrocket.com and switching back to Fuitadnet.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT