PDA

View Full Version : SotW 3 (winner is Freedom)

Pineconn
05-05-2008, 04:16 PM
And we have for you today... another SotW!

LostInHyru1e

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z215/LostInHyrule/zelda068-1.jpg

Mr. Viewer, it's ffffffrickin' freezing!

Freedom

http://members.toast.net/mfreedom/sotw_3.png

mighty_darknut

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/tdrisko/md_sotw3.jpg

Pineconn

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/PokeMaster/sotw3v2.png

A dark, cloudy day as Link moves toward Lake Hylia.

Amaster42

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/amaster42/zelda001.jpg

The crypt. Cloistered, claustrophobic, labrynthine.

Good luck! Don't forget to comment on all screenshots.

Evan the Great
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Voted for M_D, I love the ST set! I might enter next week if I can make a decent shot soon.

Shazza Dani
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
LostInHyru1e:
Nice gameboy screen. I like it, other than the few misused tiles.

Freedom:
Nothing wrong with the screen--I don't like the palette, however.

mighty darknut:
You got a fat ass, bitch!

Pineconn:
Decent. Nothing to complain about.

Amaster42:
Pretty boring. Having text on the screen was a bad choice for SotW.

Linkus
05-05-2008, 04:42 PM
Hey, where's the one I sent in? I thought I got it in at the last second...

LiH: I've seen this before.

Freedom: The graphics are a little dark, and it doesn't have much contrast. Also, too many styles clash.

MD: Hey! Looks like you've done a bunch since back then! :P Ah well, making graphics take a long time. I myself need to make a standout...something. Good layout, but it's a bit bland. But, I know your style, so all that matters is to liven a few things up and it's covered.

Pineconn: Eh, a standard Pure shot. Nothing really stands out here except for the statue and the pig boulder.

Amaster: Please tell me that doesn't appear EVERY time you pick up a key. I hate that. Otherwise, a rather standard dungeon shot. The text obscures the screen, but I get the idea.

Pineconn
05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Let's compare times. I posted the poll at around 4:15 pm EST, and you sent the screenshot at around 4:28 pm EST. So.....

Linkus
05-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Eh, I'm slow like that. Usually I take a few minutes checking to see if I got everything in the PM.

Shazza Dani
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
MD: Hey! Looks like you've done a bunch since back then! :P Ah well, making graphics take a long time. I myself need to make a standout...something. Good layout, but it's a bit bland. But, I know your style, so all that matters is to liven a few things up and it's covered.

I'm still debating whether I want to work on a Zelda quest using this Pure-SunTower hybrid, or an RPG-ish quest using a mostly custom set. Maybe this week I can throw together enough custom tiles for a mock-up to submit to SotW 4.

The_Amaster
05-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I'm really re-thinking the text now. Eh, I'll enter a different one next week.

Sam Atoms
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
OK, so the board options are set so that you can vote in a poll even if you have less than 100 posts.

Russ
05-05-2008, 06:17 PM
LostInHyru1e: Once again, I love your GB screenshots. Keep up the good work.
Freedom: Holy cow! That's amazing! *Votes*
Mighty Darknut: Nice tree edits, but the shot seems a little, plain.
Pineconn: Depsite it being that icky PTUX tileset, I like it. The screen design is good, and the palette is well done.
Amaster: Good sceen design, but it needs more detail.

The_Amaster
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I know, but it's something of a judgement call.
One the one hand, I can use every dungeon decoration DoR has to offer, but this leads to my dungeons feeling very repetitive and similar.
On the other hand I can use only specific decorations that match the theme of the level, but then I don't have many to work with.
Seeing as many people seem to go the former path, I'm taking the latter just to be different.

EDIT: Okay, a new strategy strikes me, one I am implementing even as we speak...er, type. I am going over every decent and distinct tileset at PZC, downloading them, and ripping their unique dungeon decorations.

erm2003
05-05-2008, 08:45 PM
All great shots yet again. Something about Freedom's just gets my attention. I like the colors, the graphics are just smooth, it just seems to blend well together. He gets my vote this week!

Russ
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
EDIT: Okay, a new strategy strikes me, one I am implementing even as we speak...er, type. I am going over every decent and distinct tileset at PZC, downloading them, and ripping their unique dungeon decorations.
I did that with loose tiles. That took forever, but was worth it.

DarkFlameSheep
05-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I voted Freedom.

Revfan9
05-06-2008, 02:47 AM
I... won last week? Wow.

Nothing too spectacular this week... I voted for LostInHyrule's shot, it's just the most appealing to the eye and it's the best use of it's own graphics.

And Freedom's...

I honestly can't figure it out. Is bad graphics just the style like in Animal Crossing (Though Animal Crossing pulls that off perfectly, Freedom's doesn't), or does he just fail that hard at ripping stuff into ZQ?

LostInHyru1e
05-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Nulled.

Freedom- looks way too random, and I don't like the colors.

MightyDarknut- interesting shot, but it doesn't grab me.

Pineconn- very, very nice use of PTUX.

AMaster- very average dungeon shot, and the text doesn't help.

The_Amaster
05-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey, guys, we've gotten no entries for SotW 4 yet. Whats up?

SpykStorm
05-08-2008, 10:43 PM

I just sent one. :)

I voted for Freedom's.

LostInHyrule: Nice layout, great screenshot, and I love cold weather!
Freedom: Wow! Nice graphics! [Voted]
mighty_darknut: Descent gameboy screenshot, a little plain, in my opinion.
Pineconn: Great PTUX shot! No complaints here.
Amaster42: I'm with the majority, I don't like the text.

Shazza Dani
05-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Maybe this week I can throw together enough custom tiles for a mock-up to submit to SotW 4.

You can forget about this statement. I haven't had a chance to open ZQuest once this week, so I'll probably be submitting a Pure shot for SotW 4.
SotW managers: Expect my submission tomorrow or saturday.

Revfan9
05-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Meh, I haven't opened ZC in god knows how long...

I'm still working on too much finalization on graphics (Not to mention I've been incredibly lazy) in order to submit anything from my current project before sunday, so if I do put anything in it'll be from something older of mine.

Russ
05-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Revfan, it doesn't matter if it's an older shot fo yours. So far, I haven't seen a single screenshot from you that I didn't like.

Revfan9
05-09-2008, 03:55 PM
I like my newer stuff better tho.

Linkus
05-09-2008, 04:38 PM

Yes you do. Use the one I sent in too late (vaguely titled SotW 3, look for my name) unless you've deleted it.

Russ
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
I might have one to send in. We'll just have to wait and see.

Gleeok
05-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Voted for Freedom.

I might have a shot for next week too...I don't know for shure.

Shazza Dani
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
I just sent my shot. Reminder to everyone: Only one more day to submit. O:

Sam Atoms
05-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Looks like Freedom broke this one open. He was the shot I voted for, too; it simply looked "live." Defining what makes a shot "live" is not easy, but it catches one's eye a certain way; people definitely know it when they see it.

Now waiting to see what the candidates for SOTW 4 have to offer.

Russ
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Why hasn't SotW 4 been posted?