PDA

View Full Version : AGN Convention 2008

Dechipher
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Ctrl+Alt+Del and I were discussing the possibility of having the AGN Convention this year, hosted by us, in Oklahoma City. It's a bit late in the year to start planning for mid June, so what do you guys think about Mid July? We would need to know who is interested and able to make it to OKC around that time. As far as activities go, we're still working on that, and we might talk to some people who hosted/were at previous conventions. This thread is just to see who has interest. I've never been able to go to one, and I think it'd be cool to do with the newer generation of people.

Obviously we'd need the go ahead from WarLord, but this is just to gauge interest/possibility.

Aegix Drakan
04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd LOOOVE to hang out with you all, but...

>_> I live in Canada. And I don't really feel like coming all the way Olkhahoma all by my lonesome.

sorry.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
It does not necessarily have to be in Oklahoma.

We can find a nice medium.

I do drive a really sweet car, remember?

AlphaDawg
04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Provided I get back to work soon (and thus have the money), I could probably make it this year. Anywhere within a few hours drive or flight from Philly is fine by me.

Dechipher
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM

This is true. I failed to mention that. I was already late for class :P

We could find somewhere else to do it as well. I know there are a lot of people on the East Coast and in Ohio. If we can find some good neutral location to host it, that'd be cool.

Zaphod Q. IX
04-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Having organized and run two conventions for this community, I am more than willing to offer my advice and stories about what went well, and what didn't.

First piece of advice: Pick a location and stick to it. If you allow it, AGN will debate the location for the event well into 2009.

Second bit of wisdom: Most hotels suck for this kind of thing. Campgrounds or condominiums work better, for this reason...much fewer distractions, and more room to stretch out in.

Pineconn
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM

I've heard of this one city called Cortland, Ohio. It's supposed to be pretty sweet. :D

But really, I'd LOVE to go to an AGN Convention... but I'm only almost 17. I doubt my parents would fly with this idea.

rock_nog
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Even if I could make it, there's no way I would... Pretty much my entire extended family lives in Oklahoma, and a good portion in Oklahoma City - which sounds great at first, until you factor in the fact that my extended family is crazy.

Russ
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I'd like to go, but I'm only 13, and I seriously doubt my parents would be okay with it. "Come on Mom, it's just going to a meeting with a bunch of strangers I met over the internet." :D

The_Amaster
04-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, being 17 I can't really get anywhere. Unless it's Chicago, in which case I'll take the train. :D

Plan if you want, it would be great to get it off the ground. And two years later I'll come down and join you guys.

phattonez
04-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd like to go, but I'm only 13, and I seriously doubt my parents would be okay with it. "Come on Mom, it's just going to a meeting with a bunch of strangers I met over the internet." :D

Seriously? You come across as a lot older.

Who's up for Vegas? Only a 4 hour drive for me.

Pineconn
04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Ah, the anonymity of the intrawebs.

I also would go to a convention in one or two years. I would probably drive no farther than six or so hours away.

erm2003
04-30-2008, 10:32 PM
I would love to do a convention. I have heard/read how the ones in the past were a lot of fun. The only good thing about summer is I have 3 day weekends, so there is a possibility I could make it to something if it was a Friday-Sunday deal. From where I am if it's in Oklahoma I would have to fly down though or it would just take too long to get there. I'm interested in hearing more though so let's see if we can make it happen.

Dechipher
04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't mind moving it farther east, if that helped some people get there. I'm sure Kolt and I could carpool or something, so it wouldn't be that bad for us I think. We could probably set most of it up though. So any suggestions are welcome. What about Northern Missouri?

Masamune
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
How about Pennsylvania? Everyone loves Pennsylvania.

Deviance
04-30-2008, 10:48 PM

I 2nd that. In Masa's basement? :p

moocow
04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I could only go if it was fairly close and I had someone to go along with me. I'm pretty strapped for cash right now, but I also just recently started a second job on the side...

me2
04-30-2008, 11:03 PM
I was going to suggest somewhere, but it seems Hell is full. But I heard Rio de Janeiro was a helluva party place. Also, the moon. :V!!!

But srsly: I won't be showing up either, I just turned 16. Unless someone reeeally wants me around. :|

Masamune
04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I 2nd that. In Masa's basement? :p

Nah, my dad lives down there. :|

Shazza Dani
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM

I'd second this suggestion, but I doubt I'd go anyway. I don't really know anyone here except the people from PureZC. But I guess if it was in Pittsburgh or Monroeville I'd be dumb not to go, given my proximity.

Beldaran
05-01-2008, 12:27 AM
yeah everybody wants it down the street from their house. It won't happen.

SUCCESSOR
05-01-2008, 12:33 AM
You know what's a great place? New Mexico! Everybody loves New Mexico!

Shazza Dani
05-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Let's have it in Alaska just for the hell of it.

Dechipher
05-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Let's have it in Alaska just for the hell of it.

AGN Con 2008: No one goes.

Seriously though, I don't know if Ohio is too far away for me and CAD. I'd have to get his word on in, since it's his car and all. I think if it were in Ohio, PA people could go, as could all the Ohio-ites. That's a good, what? 10? 15?

What do you guys think?

Beldaran
05-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Gas is way too expensive to go driving all over the country.

Zaphod Q. IX
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Gas is way too expensive to go driving all over the country.
megabus (http://www.megabus.com/us/)

ctrl-alt-delete
05-01-2008, 12:26 PM
True that, Mini or not.

I do not have a money issue...I have a time off from work issue.

I have to work weekends. No excuses.

So if it is not in OKC...then it has to be during the week itself.

So leave me out of your plans, unless you guys can do it midweek. :-p

erm2003
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
I work during the week throughout the summer except for the last two weeks of August. So that kinda sucks.

phattonez
05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
megabus (http://www.megabus.com/us/)

I don't know if it works the same way outside of Los Angeles, but if you book really far in advance so that you're one of the first to get a ticket for that trip, then it only costs about a dollar. Great deal right there.

Lilith
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
---

Master Ghaleon
05-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Depending how long and far the convention is will decide if I can come this year. The last convention that I went too was for a few days but it felt soo short. It was very cool meeting everyone even thou I got Warlord and Glitch lost from dropping Ganonator from the airport lol. I already have plans to take off a week for my vacation in August so its doubtful that I could join the fun. Now if we take the time to get everything organized(the place, hotel or housing info,how many days, etc..) and choose a day next year, we might be able to get more people since they will know far in advance to be able to take off/ make arrangements.

For those people that never been to any of the AGN conventions. Its a blast, I recommend going.

biggiy05
05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
I could only go if it was fairly close and I had someone to go along with me. I'm pretty strapped for cash right now, but I also just recently started a second job on the side...

I'm afraid to go on a road trip with you. Not as scared as I would be with Glitch driving but still...

You can drive that really sweet car over here and pick moo and I up.

AlphaDawg
05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Zaphod, might you be able to link us to the campground that hosted the first two AGN conventions? A campground is probably the best way to go, as everything (entertainment, lodging, etc...) is contained within.

While my VeeDub that I've been paying through the nose for for the last five years isn't as cool as a free Mini or get the gas mileage a Mini does, it's not that bad. (I'll actually own it come convention time! Yay!) It seats four comfortably, or five if someone doesn't mind riding bitch for a few hundred miles. I could pick up anybody along the route from Philly to wherever we settle on, splitting expenses of course.

Maybe my dad will let me borrow his new Jag... yeah, right! Maybe I could borrow the motor home my mom randomly purchased a couple weeks ago... yeah, right! Not that she would necessarily have a problem with it, but I would, as it gets maybe 10 mpg at best...

Zaphod Q. IX
05-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Zaphod, might you be able to link us to the campground that hosted the first two AGN conventions? A campground is probably the best way to go, as everything (entertainment, lodging, etc...) is contained within.

Indian Lakes (http://www.1000trails.com/getaways/indiana/indianlakes.asp)
Here's the only problem with the campground that hosted the first two AGN conventions...It's owned by Thousand Trails, which is a membership-based organization. I owned a membership at the time. This cut the cost of renting the cabins by half, I believe. It couldn't hurt to contact Thousand Trails though...and see what kind of rates they would give us...
:shrug:
Thousand Trails (http://www.1000trails.com/index.asp) does have somewhere around 80 campgrounds in the U.S, and their acommodations are usually top notch.

State parks are also a good option. Most have cabins and such, and offer group rates.

mrz84
05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
It all depends on the location. I really can't afford to drive long distances so I may once again miss out on the AGN con. :sweat:

Pineconn
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Batesville, IN, seems fair. People from the Midwest and southern Northeast should be able to make it (Oklahomans, Ohioans, Pennsylvanians...). There could always be two AGN Conventions, one in the east and one in the west. :shrug:

Shazza Dani
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Batesville, IN, seems fair. People from the Midwest and southern Northeast should be able to make it (Oklahomans, Ohioans, Pennsylvanians...). There could always be two AGN Conventions, one in the east and one in the west. :shrug:

There could be 50! *is not being helpful*

I just had a thought. How many active users here aren't in the U.S.?

Icey
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
It definitely makes sense to do it in the east coast or in the midwest. Even though I live in the western US (California) as do some others, there really is the biggest concentration of members in the eastern part of the country. So yeah, I, and some others, will miss out, but you should maximize your participation by picking one location in the eastern midwest/east coast and sticking with it.

vegeta1215
05-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Depending how long and far the convention is will decide if I can come this year. The last convention that I went too was for a few days but it felt soo short. It was very cool meeting everyone even thou I got Warlord and Glitch lost from dropping Ganonator from the airport lol. I already have plans to take off a week for my vacation in August so its doubtful that I could join the fun. Now if we take the time to get everything organized(the place, hotel or housing info,how many days, etc..) and choose a day next year, we might be able to get more people since they will know far in advance to be able to take off/ make arrangements.

For those people that never been to any of the AGN conventions. Its a blast, I recommend going.

Yeah. I had a lot of fun at the 2005 convention. (has it really been 3 years? :odd:) That weekend went by so fast though. One more day would've been perfect.

I don't know if I'd be able to go if there was another convention since I work full time and all. If I could, it'd also depend on where it was and who was going. I got lucky in that the 2005 convention was so close, and a lot of people I wanted to meet attended.

Beldaran
05-03-2008, 03:37 PM
If the convention was across the street from my house, and I got paid to be there, and there were strippers, I'd go.

Master Ghaleon
05-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah. I had a lot of fun at the 2005 convention. (has it really been 3 years? :odd:) That weekend went by so fast though. One more day would've been perfect.

Yea, to me it only felt like last year or something. One more day would of been cool but lets say it was a day longer, we would be sitting here saying we wish it was another day longer and so. :P

Masamune
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
A campground sounds like a solid plan. Depending on the location, I may attend. :o

Glitch
05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Big no from me. I'm going to Cali this summer I think.

AlphaDawg
05-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks to my mom's random RV purchase last month, we are now eligible to become lifetime Thousand Trails members for the price of a one-year membership ($649). If our family goes through with this perhaps I (gasp) could organize a get-together at one of their campgrounds. Looking through their brochure... if not Indian Lakes then these are possibilities:

Chestnut Lake (Port Republic, NJ)
Hershey, PA
Kenisee Lake (Jefferson, OH)
Wilmington, OH
Chesapeake Bay (Gloucester, VA)
Lynchburg (Gladys, VA)
Virginia Landing (Quinby, VA)

Zaphod Q. IX
05-11-2008, 03:16 PM
If you do get a Thousand Trails membership and decide to organize a 2008 convention, I will help you in any way possible, and I will attend, for sure. Keep me posted on this, AD.

DarkDragon
05-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm interested in going if solid plans materialize.

SpacemanDan
05-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Me+Leaving Canada+Being 16=Parents say no. It'd be interesting to go though. Maybe next time, when I'm older.

Jemsee
05-17-2008, 06:57 AM
I can testify that camping is a good way to go.
I too was at the first 2 conventions.
Cabins, tents, or small trailers.

The conventions were a blast.
I am wondering, how many conventions have there been all told.
The first ones were in "02 and "03. Any more after that?

http://www.geocities.com/jemsee2/AGNconventions.jpg

Jem~

ZTC
05-17-2008, 11:12 AM
if I had the monies and transportation, I would actually be able to go this year. :( Who else on here that's from Illinois, aside from Lilith and amaster42 (sp?)

Glitch
05-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I am wondering, how many conventions have there been all told.
The first ones were in "02 and "03. Any more after that?
Jem~

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/lee_grad2002/russ.gif

vegeta1215
05-17-2008, 03:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/lee_grad2002/russ.gif

Ah memories...

I wonder, is WL's photo gallery from the '05 convention still online?

Dechipher
05-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Which one is Daarkseid? I remember his face being editted out.

Jemsee
05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
"02 far left back row.
There just happened to be a bat flying across when the pic was took. Go figure.

Jem~