PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Questions

Dragon
04-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I own a 360 and a wii and have recently debated if I should get a PS3 and complete the next gen set. There were a few questions I had to see if any current PS3 owners on the board could answer.

First, I play most of my games on a 720p projector. My systems are behind me, and the screen is in front of me... how exactly does the tilt control work. I was figuring it is probably all connected to the controller movements themselves (being tilt and not full motion control); however, there are controls that have you thrusting the controller foward, does this require my playstation to be in front of me... or is this based soley on the movement of the controller?

Second, online is important to me as well, is it pretty easy to link up with gamers on my friends list? I know this is not Xbox live (fortunatley its not Wii online either), but it still has to be fairly straightforward. Also what online features might I want to jump into if I decide to pick a Playstation up?

Most importantly, what games are their right now that I should buy. I was planning on picking up the 80g PS3 that is supposed to come out with MGS4, and I know I would pickup the next Socom, but is there anything else? I heard good things about Unreal, Resistance might be a good pickup if its cheap, and Drakes fortune looked alright. Mainly I'm looking for exclusives, as I already own Call of Duty 4 and preordered GTA for the xbox, I was looking for a system purchase justifier.

Any Sony fans here that want to show me the ropes would be appreciated, I was thinking of buying one summer of this year.

Thanks in Advance,
Dragon

Cloral
04-25-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't have a PS3, but from working with them at work I can answer some of your questions:

1) All PS3 controller movements are controller-relative. There is no sensor bar like on the Wii. So that means it doesn't matter which way you're facing relative to the system. Only the tilt and movement of the controller matter. Either way though I wouldn't let this worry you since most games just use the motion controls as a sort of tacked-on element that isn't very important.

2) The PS3 has no universal friends list. It is up to each publisher to implement their own friends list paradigm. So it depends on the game, and many have no friends feature at all.

3) From what I hear, the best PS3 exclusive games are Motorstorm, Drake's, and Resistance. Also if I had a PS3 I'd probably check out Ratchet & Clank since I've enjoyed previous entries into that series. And don't forget that you can always pick up MLB 2K8 on the PS3. :)

Dragon
04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks, the news on the controller is helpful in and of itself. I figured tilt control was pretty tacked on right now... but just my luck I wouldn't have it and then some developer would do something really great with it. I also forgot about Ratchet, that game got great reviews, and sould be a good place to start for titles. I also heard that PS3 features remote play for PSP games, which should be cool for the four good psp games I have (Liberty City Stories, Castlevania X, and Lumines 1 and 2). The big thing I am waiting for is (besides getting my $600 check to stimulate the economy) that I heard the new 80gig model with MGS will also be packed in with actual Dual Shock controllers... so I won't have to buy new controllers just to enjoy rumble with my Sony games. MGS4 I am kind off stuck in the middle with though, I mean it is one of Sony's most important titles... but MGS2 lost the series a lot of my good will and this one looks like it could be even more ridiculous than that. Sony should be selling alot more systmes now that Blue Ray won the format war, and maybe home will be cool... so I am cautiously looking forward towards my future purchase.

Warlock
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Do developers even use the tilt control anymore? I haven't heard anything about it since Lair was panned for using ONLY tilt control and being terrible because of that.

Dragon
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
I've heard of Wipeout using it with some success as a control scheme, and socom using it with cover. I also heard how bad Lair is though, so I guess whether its good or not depends on the game... down the road though someone will do something great with it, developers eventually always find a way to take advantage of a feature.

MottZilla
04-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I think you have remote play confused. You remotely play PS3 games, on the PSP. Hence remote. You don't play PSP games on the PS3.

You can play PSP games on your HDTV with a PSP Slim (2000 model) though.

MGS4 is the big exclusive for PS3 right now. I think it comes out in June. I want a PS3 myself, but can't afford to drop the money on it.

Warlock
04-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Hehe, I can afford to drop the money on it, but I don't want a PS3 :P

I think at this point it's going to take a huge effort to make the thing even attractive to me. I have yet to see a single game on there I'm interested in, and IIRC the only thing on the horizon that looks good to me is Final Fantasy. Everything else is coming out for Wii or 360 already, so yeah :P