PDA

View Full Version : Stretch and filter ZC for playing on a TV?

garsh
04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Is there a way to make ZC fully stretch the display to really fill the window? I suppose that would be anamorphic scaling? Essentially, in my case, it would need to be about 10% wider. This would closely approximate the actual dimensions that the SNES would have produced on a standard definition NTSC TV. On top of that, I would like to know if there's a way to apply a bi-linear filter.

It seems that ZC itself doesn't support these features, but what I'm asking is if there's any way that may not be obvious, like a 3rd party application, or even some obscure Windows (XP) or graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150) settings that I might be able to tweak.

bobrocks95
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Can you not just run it in full-screen?

garsh
04-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Actually no. When I try to run it full screen (I've tried with various resolutions) it displays much smaller, only about 25% of the total screen area at best, and it ruins the display on my other monitor.* If I could find a resolution that fixes that -- and convinces it to stretch enough to fill the whole screen -- it might be worth while, but still not ideal.

* I use my TV as a "primary" monitor just so Windows will cooperate at running various games on it by default, and I set my notebook's built-in LCD as the secondary, on which I do normal nerd things and sometimes use to display maps while I play LoZ

Thanks for the reply, though. :)

bobrocks95
04-24-2008, 07:11 PM
So you're running ZC on full screen, attempting to display it on your tv monitor. And you're apparently using a setup with 2 displays, one on your tv and one on your laptop. I'm guessing that when you go off the screen to the right/left, the mouse moves between monitors? Try sacrificing those Zelda maps and using a clone display so that the laptop and tv show the same desktop.

garsh
04-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Okay, I tried it, just to see if it would actually stretch. Specifying a few different resolutions in the command-line again (including none at all) I had the same results: a very small display in the center of the screen, but in this case duplicated on both screens, of course. Even if that did stretch the image, I can't imagine ever using that method regularly due to the inconvenience and other complications it creates. Maybe -- if it really had stretched the display -- it would be a reasonable solution to use an application (like LaunchMate) that might automatically alter my display configurations without all the hassle, but again, still not ideal. Compared to that, running it as I have, in a window large enough to keep all the "chrome" out of view (which at least fills the TV vertically) is still the best experience so far.

Thanks again, though.

bobrocks95
04-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Wait, are you using XP or Vista? And what kind of Video Card are you using? Also, how exactly are you connecting your computer to your tv?
Trying to pinpoint the problem, as this doesn't happen to me when I run anything through my tv.

garsh
04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow, I appreciate the investigative work. XP pro, SP2, and I guess you missed in my first post that my graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150. The connection is just a normal S-Video cable. Usually nothing is displayed tiny like that. When I'm running other games, or the slideshow of images that I cycle while not using my TV for other things, it's all displayed fullscreen just as it should be. In those other cases, the games can even be stretched sideways a bit to match their intended aspect ratio, which is what I'd like to achieve with ZC.