PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Classic featured on Game of the Day

ctplayer
04-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that Zelda Classic earned the designation of Editor's Pick and was featured on the freeware game blog Game of the Day. Here are some excerpts from the review:

Zelda Classic boasts a specially developed engine which allows people to develop their own quests and storylines, with the possibility for improved graphics and audio. There’s literally no end to the user-developed content for the game, which is a huge plus for people who love Zelda and never want it to end.

Tons of new features are being developed, including multi-player deathmatches, new items, more interactivity with the game environment and the like. It’s impressive, and I can’t wait to see how Dark Nation implements some of this.

Zelda Classic is, very simply, one of the greatest independent, community-driven game projects active right now and I hope that it continues full-steam. It really does show how a group of dedicated and talented individuals can produce some great content. That’s why we’re proud to offer Zelda Classic our first Editor’s Pick award.

The rest of the review can be read over at: http://gameoftheday.wordpress.com

SpacemanDan
04-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Huh? Multiplayer death matches? Since when was that a coming feature? Oh wells, it's still cool to have ZC mentioned as game of the day.

SpykStorm
04-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Huh? Multiplayer death matches? Since when was that a coming feature?

I think it was considered at one point in time, and it's still on the future plans list.

Here are ideas that I am currently considering and/or working on implementing. Some might make it, some might not. -Dark Nation

Make it easier to create group quests (quests with multiple authors)
Multiplayer/deathmatch feature
Fix swimming in BS-Style animation

bobrocks95
04-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Aren't most of the things on the future plan list able to be achieved through scripting, or at least made in a round-about way(multiple doors- go freeform and just draw them)?

SpykStorm
04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't think you need scripting to achieve half of those things, and a lot of them are already added in the alpha builds. ;)

Anyways, it is really good that ZC was featured on Game of the Day.

bobrocks95
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Make it easier to create group quests (quests with multiple authors)
Multiplayer/deathmatch feature
Fix swimming in BS-Style animation
Custom fonts
NSF/SPC/MOD/IT/XM/S3M/etc. support
Pickup and throw objects I'm assuming this is possible with scripts.
Shadows ? Are there not shadows already?
Height combo variable
People to talk to Many ways to do this, especially with scripting.
Z3-style lamp Probably script-possible as well.
Item pond
Z3-style fireballs
Cloak
Fire Rod
Ice Rod
Playable ocarina Script
Screen MIDI (in addition to DMAP MIDI)
Combo format revamping If this means re-organizing, this has already been done in the betas.
Separate Link and enemy walk flags
Multiple doors per screen (more than one per wall, for instance) Use freeform, draw more doors. Easy.

The_Amaster
04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Pickup and throw objects I'm assuming this is possible with scripts.
Floating around somewhere in the showcase...

Fire Rod
Ice Rod
Hey, yeah, that's right, we can script projectiles now. Who's gonna get on this?

Multiple doors per screen (more than one per wall, for instance) Use freeform, draw more doors. Easy.
Do it all the time.

Pineconn
04-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh cool, my quest is linked directly from that site. :p

Now to get ZC in Nintendo Power... ;)

ctplayer
04-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Oh cool, my quest is linked directly from that site. :p

Now to get ZC in Nintendo Power... ;)

I played your quest, thought it was simply great.

bobrocks95
04-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Ya, what did we ever decide on that? I think it's fine, since legally, it's reverse engineering.
At the most, Nintendo could say that we can't package the first and second quest with it.

Shazza Dani
04-23-2008, 08:38 PM

You can't make more than one freeform locked door per screen, can you?

bobrocks95
04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm fairly certain you can make it using secret combos underneath the door, which would change it to an open one. Of course, according to Amaster, locked is a room state. No clue.

EDIT: One would have to be a traditional locked door, so one would have to be in the middle.

The_Amaster
04-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Of course, according to Amaster, locked is a room state. No clue.
I think. I remember someone recently saying something along the lines of "secrets, like locked doors, are a room state that is either on or off"

Ah HA! Just remembered, in Pineconn's LttH, in level 1 theres a room with a locked block and a locked door. That means you can set up a second locked door using "lock" combos in addition to the regular locked door. Although that wall would be a tad cramped...

Pheonix
04-23-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm fairly certain you can make it using secret combos underneath the door, which would change it to an open one. Of course, according to Amaster, locked is a room state. No clue.

EDIT: One would have to be a traditional locked door, so one would have to be in the middle.

Can't you use treasure chest combos to make a third locked door on the screen? Although it would be a bit odd having to press A to open it (using keycards in a modern dungeon?).

bobrocks95
04-23-2008, 08:55 PM
That sounds possible.

Revfan9
04-24-2008, 12:07 AM
A random website that noone cares about talked about another random website that noone cares about?

Hooray!

Russ
04-24-2008, 12:09 AM
Can't you use treasure chest combos to make a third locked door on the screen? Although it would be a bit odd having to press A to open it (using keycards in a modern dungeon?).
Hm, that's a pretty good idea. In fact, that's better than the current lock block system. "Walk to a locked door and press "A" to unlock it if you have the key."

ctplayer
04-24-2008, 01:07 AM
A random website that noone cares about talked about another random website that noone cares about?

Hooray!

Actually, in only one month of operation, Game of the Day has scored over 2,000 unique hits. We're also in the top 10% of blogs, according to Technorati. It's not a poor showing, so far.

jman2050
04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Wait, does this count as advertising or not? I'm not sure...

ctplayer
05-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Wait, does this count as advertising or not? I'm not sure...

I don't see why it would. Even if it did, we're essentially advertising your game. It is courtesy, in our view, to let the developers know that the game was featured.

Dogchew9
05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Multiplayer deathmatches.... now that you say it, that actually rings a bell of times long past.