PDA

View Full Version : I need a proper joystick for my PS2.

DarkDragoonX
04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Okay, so as the topic title certainly didn't suggest at all, I want a nice joystick for my PS2. I have a fairly large pile of fighting games, and although a controller is usable, I really prefer a joystick. I figure it's finally time to make the investment and purchase a good stick.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to buy. I've heard great things about Hori's Real Arcade Pro line, but they don't seem to be manufacturing joysticksfor the PS2 any more, and I'd rather not shell out twice the retail price on eBay to get one. X-Arcade is compatible with bloody everything using the proper adapters, which is a plus, but word is it's awful for fighting games, and since that's mainly what I want one for, those seem to be out of the question. Modding an X-Arcade or other stick is also a no-go, as when it comes to little engineering projects like that I have roughly the same level of mechanical aptitude as a tube sock (ironic considering my choice of professions, but there ya go).

So... anywhere else to turn to for a great arcade experience? Or am I stuck either overpaying on eBay or using an inferior product?

Kairyu
04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
I'd suggest you ask around on the forums at Shoryuken.

Mak-X
04-22-2008, 09:23 PM
I bought a Hori Real Arcade Pro a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I don't like Japanese style sticks as much as I do American, Happ style. It's good for 3-D fighting games like Soul Calibur, but not as good for 2-D fighters for me, even after modding it with a octagon gate. It's a great stick though, just not my style.

Most fighting game fans I see post don't recommend the X-Arcade because the parts it uses are not worth the price. I believe you can switch out the parts though. I briefly played with the 2 player version, and it felt OK to me. (The 2player version is not good for 2 people though, the other player will jerk the controller!)

You might want to check out the MAS arcade stick that eStarland sometimes has instock
http://www.estarland.com/Playstation2.cat..product.18432.html
I've thought about getting this one myself, and I've seen it recommend over the X-Arcade.

MAS also sold here http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pro-arcade-sticks~mas~hori~/list.htm?1=1

There's also Arcade-In-A-Box
http://www.arcadeinabox.com/scripts/openExtra.asp?Extra=10
I might have get an XBox 360 one for Soul Calibur 4 :)

Shoryuken.com's forum as mentioned
http://forums.shoryuken.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177

DarkDragoonX
04-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Alright... I had a look at Arcade-In-A-Box and it actually seems quite nice, especially the amount of customization they give you when it comes to artwork and parts. I'll ask around Shoryuken and get some opinions, as I'd prefer my stick to be optimized for 2-D fighters. I may have to resort to browsing arcades and fiddling with sticks until I find one like.

It's actually been long time since I've had a chance to really get into fighting games... the last one(s) I seriously played were the Darkstalkers games. By that point, all my friends were pretty much done with fighters, and there's really no reason to play without a human to play against... the CPU is always far too easy to exploit. Well, that's not entirely true, I've dropped plenty of time into the Soul Calibur games, but 2-D fighters are more my style. Recently I managed to get my buddies hooked on CvS2 and KoF XI though, so I finally have an excuse to indulge myself in a bit of specialized hardware. Now I just have to re-train myself.

Also, Fiddling With Sticks would be an excellent name for a rock band.

Kairyu
04-22-2008, 11:26 PM
If you enjoyed Darkstalkers, I'd recommend trying Guilty Gear a little. It's complex, but it's got the same ridiculously over-the-top style of gameplay.

MottZilla
04-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Buy a PS2 3rd party controller, some wood, joystick and buttons. Build it. It isn't hard to do and it is totally worth it. Though since you say that is beyond your skill set, you're going to end up spending alot of money.

DarkDragoonX
04-23-2008, 03:03 AM
The problem with building my own is that it sounds like exactly the sort of thing that involves fiddling with circuit boards, soldering, and building something out of wood. I can barely use a hammer without killing myself, and I would rather spend some extra money on something I know will work than attempt building my own, an act which would inevitably result in horrible, horrible failure.

DarkDragoonX
04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Yes, I'm double-posting. I do not care.

I ordered a stick from Arcade-In-A-Box. They have a great price point, I've heard nothing but good things about them, and they have a lot of customization options, which is perfect. After reading as much information as I could about the various joystick and button options one has on the Shoryuken forums, I decided to go with a standard HAPP competition stick and Sanwa buttons. I prefer the convex buttons to concave, and the faster response time of Sanwa buttons was enough to convince me to go with them. Although Sanwa sticks are more responsive than American HAPP sticks, the square and octagonal gates just seem kinda wonky... I prefer the smooth, 360 degree motion of American sticks. Also, you can muscle HAPP sticks around more than Sanwa sticks, and they have a bit more tension to them... silly as it may sound, that extra tension is an important tactile response to me and it just doesn't feel arcade-y without it. Finally, I also sprang to put some custom artwork on the box instead of using any of their stock art.

It'll be a bit before it gets mailed (I still need to send in my custom art and make some decisions on a few other minor options), and it's going to ship via UPS ground, so it'll be a bit before I actually get to hold it in my hands, but so far the experience has been quite good... I had a few questions that the owner of Arcade-In-A-Box was happy to answer, and quite promptly, too! I'm really looking forward to the final product.

I'll post some pictures once I get it. Granted, you probably don't care, but I'm quite a happy camper right now.

Mak-X
04-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Although Sanwa sticks are more responsive than American HAPP sticks, the square and octagonal gates just seem kinda wonky... I prefer the smooth, 360 degree motion of American sticks. Also, you can muscle HAPP sticks around more than Sanwa sticks, and they have a bit more tension to them... silly as it may sound, that extra tension is an important tactile response to me and it just doesn't feel arcade-y without it.

I'll post some pictures once I get it. Granted, you probably don't care, but I'm quite a happy camper right now.

Yeah, that's why I don't like the Hori Real Arcade Pro I have, I don't like Japanese style sticks as much as HAPP, American style.

I'd like to see the pictures when you get it and your impressions, I might get one eventually.

MottZilla
04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I talked to the Arcade-in-a-Box guy before and he was very nice and responsive. I didn't order anything from him but I too have only heard good things. I think you made a good choice.

DarkDragoonX
04-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, one thing I can definitely say is that it's been an absolute pleasure to work with the guy. If the stick is even half as good as the customer service is, I'll have no complaints.