PDA

View Full Version : I need a great overworld Designing tutorial

bluedeath
04-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I need a good tutorial Designing tutorial because im not so good at making Land, if I just had a good tutorial it might just give me a good tip on how to make great lands and overworlds and what people want to see in a quest.

Anikom15
04-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Just do what Nintendo did:

A bunch of pointless screens.

bluedeath
04-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Um, thats no help at all, thats probably what you would do.

bobrocks95
04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think that's the best suggestion...

One way to approach the overworld is to start simple. Get your point, paths, and basic design down first. Don't even bother with ground details, curved mountains, etc.. Once you've made a basic but complete layout, express your thoughts through elaborate mountains and things, but staying true to the basic design and what happens/is happening on the screen.

Just my 2 cents.

The_Amaster
04-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I usually start with a sheet of graph paper and make every screen 2 squares by 3. Just start basic: draw solid lines wherever you can't walk between screens, place major landmarks, try to get a feel for how it will look and play.

Anikom15
04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but depending on how you make your overworld, you'll get some space where your not gonna have anything to put, there's 2 things you can do: make it a pointless screen or not put a screen at all. Obviously you could put an obstacle and put some use to it, but it all depends on what your doing. If your making a linear game, put a puzzle on almost every screen, this way the player doesn't get bored traveling through a linear game board. If your making a non-linear (I.e. 1st quest) game then the Overworld should have a few puzzles connected through screens of enemies and such. Anyways I'm making my overworld based on another zelda game, not as original, but I have a good concept of what I'm making.

zero42
04-26-2008, 07:39 PM
i use 'View Map' from the 'Etc.' menu all the time.

Matthew Bluefox
04-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Make some template rooms on the very bottom of the map first, then copy them to all other squares and start building the stuff around. :)

bobrocks95
04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Except this is overworld. That's probably fine for non free-form dungeons, but you really can't do it that way with an overworld or free-form dungeon.