PDA

View Full Version : Films that would make great games, if done right.

Dann Woolf
04-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Yeah, share your thoughts on what films could be turned into great games. Describe what the game would be like.

Ill start.

From Dusk Till Dawn. I know it already HAS a game, before anyone mentions that.

It would play like the Gauntlet games: up to four players fighting their way out of the vampire-infested Titty Twister bar. You could play as Seth with the jackhammer/stake hybrid and the gun loaded with holy bullets, Jacob with the baseball bat/shotgun cross, Kate with the Crossbow and Scott with the holy water "grenades".

Dechipher
04-21-2008, 11:05 AM
The Goonies.

Except that it wasn't.

rock_nog
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Ghostbusters - it's had some crappy games, but if done right, it could be freakin' awesome.

Oh, that's right, they ARE, in fact, making a new Ghostbusters game, and it stands a pretty darn good chance of being freakin' awesome. http://www.ghostbustersgame.com/

Warlock
04-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Ghostbusters - it's had some crappy games, but if done right, it could be freakin' awesome.

Oh, that's right, they ARE, in fact, making a new Ghostbusters game, and it stands a pretty darn good chance of being freakin' awesome. http://www.ghostbustersgame.com/

I am excited for that one. I hope it doesn't suck ;)

rock_nog
04-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I really hope so, too - I mean, we've got Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd penning the script, we've got pretty much all of the original cast signed on to provide the voice-overs, up to and including William Atherton, AKA Walter Pecker - I mean, Peck... Dan Aykroyd himself has pretty much said "This is, for all practical purposes, Ghostbusters 3..." So much good stuff going for it - it'd be a total shame if it fell flat.

phattonez
04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Red Dawn.
Starship Troopers.

Any action movie at all would be perfect.

Warlock
04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
I really hope so, too - I mean, we've got Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd penning the script, we've got pretty much all of the original cast signed on to provide the voice-overs, up to and including William Atherton, AKA Walter Pecker - I mean, Peck... Dan Aykroyd himself has pretty much said "This is, for all practical purposes, Ghostbusters 3..." So much good stuff going for it - it'd be a total shame if it fell flat.

Did they ever say if they were getting Rick Moranis too? I know they aren't getting Sigourney Weaver which sucks. But Rick Moranis was great, so if they get him I can live with it :P

rock_nog
04-21-2008, 12:47 PM
I have no idea - but on imdb, he's listed under writing credits. I have no idea how accurate that is, but assuming that's correct, I can't imagine that he'd be involved in the project in any way and not reprise his classic role.

Darth Marsden
04-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Kill Bill.

ctrl-alt-delete
04-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Any movie could make a good videogame if done right.

Case in point, Aladdin.

Warlock
04-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Any movie could make a good videogame if done right.

Case in point, Aladdin.

That was an *excellent* game. At least the Genesis (and I think PC port of that) version.

rock_nog
04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
The SNES version was pretty freakin' sweet, too - though the two versions were completely different. Oh, and as far as movie tie-in games go, you can't forget "The Lion King".

MottZilla
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
There were alot of decent and good movie games. Perhaps the best ever, Batman for the NES. Awesome game.

The Desperado
04-25-2008, 01:20 AM
Robin Hood. The story is perfect for a gane. As far as I know, there isn't one.

Daarkseid
04-25-2008, 02:20 AM
Robin Hood. The story is perfect for a gane. As far as I know, there isn't one.

I'm not sure what movie iteration you're referring to, but Robin Hood: Prince of the Thieves was made into an NES game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Hood:_Prince_of_Thieves_%28video_game%29

No idea if its any good though, but I would imagine not.

King Link
04-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Elder Scrolls.. in general. No game specifically.
The world is excellently developed, and though perhaps not as popular as many other games, it has much more depth than many others.

The only problem I can perceive would be creating a character viewers could love, considering all characters created, usually, are simply avatars of yourself (or whomever you would like).

King Link
04-25-2008, 06:10 AM
NVM. I didn't take the time to read this thread's title and the discussion within.

Excuse me.

Dragon
04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
There have been quite a few good movie based games. King Kong was quite a good game, Excape from Butcher Bay (though that was based on a movie chacter, not a particular movie), Goldeneye, Spiderman 1 (not 2, that sucked) and possibly others.

All you need is a developer out to make a good movie based game; however, that is not the purpose of most games of this type, most are made as quick sure things that scam people who like the movies and don't know any better.

As for a movie that would be a good game, I still think they could make a good Matrix game, or for something outside of the box maybe a good Grindhouse game.

Darth Marsden
04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
I repeat: Kill Bill. In case any of you missed the joke first time round.

Also: Blade, Equilibrium, National Treasure, Sin City and The Crow could, theoretically, make awesome games given the right developer and the appropriate genre. And while the later two were comics first, they then became awesome movies.

The problem is most family-friendly films have games made to accompany them, and most of those are either distinctly average or not worth playing at all. It's rare for a movie tie-in to actually be a great game on its own. Notable exceptions are those Dragon mentioned, as well as Spider-Man 2 The Movie (note the hyphen, people!), which was actually quite fun.

Most of those exceptions had developers who were tried and tested, and had experience making quality games prior to making ones based on a movie. That, I think, is a key element to a god tie-in - getting someone with experience to make said game. Of course, that's not a perfect solution (see Shiny, for example), but it's certainly a good start.

Warlock
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
They are making a Sin City game.

Darth Marsden
04-25-2008, 01:20 PM
My head a splode.

Daarkseid
04-25-2008, 06:58 PM
National Treasure

You know I finally saw that movie on TV last year and I couldn't stop thinking how much I'd probably enjoy it more if I were playing it in the form of an adventure game.

DarkFlameWolf
07-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't laugh, but Duke Nukem 3D could make an excellent action movie. If they gave it the Pirates of the Caribbean treatment. (Where they took something to laughable and actually made it into a serious movie) I even have a nice script in my head as how it would go while delivering iconic one-liners Duke is famous for. (meaning, they would come naturally in the script, not forced out just for fan recognition)

*b*
07-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Doom, the one with Dwayne Johnson. That would make an awesome ga-- oh wait.