PDA

View Full Version : where do you get your scripting ideas?

Master Maniac
04-20-2008, 01:18 PM
this is more directed to c-dawg, gleeok and joe, but anyone elses answer would bw appreciated too.

where do you get your ideas for your scripts? is it just scripts for things you need in your quests, or just generally good ideas? or is it something completely different altogether?

Joe123
04-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Depends what I want to do :shrug:

If I need a script to make a cutscene, then I'll write one of them.
If I need a script for a custom boss, I'll write that instead.

Or alternatively, when Russ says something like 'we should have a fairy to follow Link around' I go and write one of them =P

I don't sit and think to myself 'what scripts would it be cool to write', I write them as I need them.
Most of the scripts I write are to improve the general flow of the quest rather than to do big fancy things though, so you might be better off with Gleeok or C-'s response.
I'm not coding shooters or side scrollers, I'm just making Zelda =P
I don't write Epona every day =P

beefster09
04-20-2008, 02:11 PM
I occasionally take requests, but I also make them as I go or when I feel like reproducing a feature from another Zelda game... Speaking of requests, how is that vine boss thingy working? I still haven't tested it on my end.

Master Maniac
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
not too well actually...

i posted a reply on pure about it...

the little vine script works fine, but it doesent change the main vine to "vulnerable" after killing 3 little vines as i told it to.

also, it doesent use the 2nd FFC's combo on the little vines. it uses the combo for the main one.

and finally, the vines popped up right underneath link, making it near impossible to see when they were coming. if there was any way, i would like to have them follow closely behind link so it was possible to see where they were, and attack like leevers.

...actually... if at all possible, i could make a 3rd class leever and ask you to re-do the second script to spawn them and make them vulnerable only to certain Lweapons... if it wouldnt be too much trouble...

however, the lweapon thing worked perfectly.

beefster09
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
I could use leevers with the addition of arrays, however I wouldn't be able to make them only vulnerable to certain types of lweapons.

And now that we know that the weapon ID is the weapon type, I'm going to pester JMan and _L_ to change "ID" to "Type."

Revfan9
04-21-2008, 02:01 PM
When I get to a point in development where I want to do something that I can't do without scripts, I write a script for it. Plain and simple.

Gleeok
04-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Scripting ideas come to me from the voices in the darkness. To subdue them, I must appeal their twisted demands, else their tyranny is freed. More and more erratic and capricious scripts they demand. It's increasingly difficult... cannot hold them back forever. Must keep scripting...must keep scripting....

Nah, Seriously though; I get cool ideas when playing games. I've started to look at them more objectively and have a basic understanding of how everything works. When I play something that's masterfully coded, I think "how the fuck did they do that?" Usually something with an insane amount of objects, effects, and a ridiculous amount of code being processes at the polygon level. I've started to appreciate these games a bit more too.

Master Maniac
04-22-2008, 12:10 AM
well since this is a kinda random thread anyway, ill ask.

Gleeok, how is your reverse request thing at PZC going? i posted quite a few ideas if you wanted them lol. its not much but its all i could think of.

some of them look like actually fun items though.