PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NFL schedule released today

AlphaDawg
04-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Anybody care besides me? As I am an Eagles fan (gee, whodathunkit?) there's four games on their schedule that interest me the most:

9/15 @ Dallas: Monday night vs. the Cowgirls is always special, even though the Monday night game isn't the premiere game of the week anymore.

9/21 vs. Pittsburgh: The quadrennial battle for supremacy in the state of Pennsylvania. The Stillers took the last one the year the Birds went to the Super Bowl This game was better known for T.O.'s infamous sideline outburst towards Donovan McNabb.

11/9 vs. New York Gnats: Defending Super Bowl champs at home on Sunday night! What could be better? (Actually, anything will be better than last year's Sunday night game at the Gnats, where McNabb was sacked 12 times and I actually fell asleep watching the game.)

11/27 vs. Arizona: Holy shit, the Eagles are playing on Thanksgiving this year! Granted it's the late game likely on NFL Network, but no matter. I honestly thought the Eagles were banned from playing on Thanksgiving after the infamous Bounty Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_Bowl)!

Check your favorite team's schedule here (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/schedule).

Beldaran
04-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Go Cowboys and Texans! Yeehaw!

Icey
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm from Los Angeles, so there are no football teams worth caring about, really, for me. Some people around here root for the Raiders, but I don't particularly care for them and was too young when they were still in LA anyway. Rooting for the Rams seems just as arbitrary.

That said I do like the Cowboys. They're fun to watch, so I guess if there's any team I root for, it's them. I don't follow the NFL closely (since I don't really have a team...) but I will be checking them out next season.

Sam Atoms
04-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm more partial to the college variety myself.

Since my parents used to live near Philadelphia, it gave our whole family great pleasure to see Penn State wrap up the Florida State "criminoles" in the 2006 Orange Bowl.

erm2003
04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
As a Bills fan (yeah, I know), I am a bit upset that the NFL chose to take the traditional big rivalry game against the Dolphins and move that game to Toronto. I really wish they would have left the division games alone. Now if anyone around here wants to see that game they have to get a passport and pay $200 for the ticket, if they can get one. I wish they would have taken one of the other games like Oakland, Seattle, San Diego, or San Francisco instead.

Pineconn
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
9/21 vs. Pittsburgh: The quadrennial battle for supremacy in the state of Pennsylvania. The Stillers took the last one the year the Birds went to the Super Bowl. This game was better known for T.O.'s infamous sideline outburst towards Donovan McNabb.

I'm a Steelers fan myself. It's on. :p

The Steelers probably won't be too great this year, however. We were plagued by numerous... mechanical errors last year (as well as the loss of Faneca from last year to this year).

We really need to do AGN Fantasy Football this year. That would be excellent.

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
This year I'm pulling for the browns, eagles, and the niners being from SF. I'm also eager to see the Giants get creamed at some point, and hoping the dolphins, raiders and falcons can get their shit together...basically the other guys. :p I'm also hoping McNabb doesn't get injured this season and the phillies can beef up their WR and offensive line.

AGN fantasy football you say?

AlphaDawg
04-15-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm more partial to the college variety myself.

Since my parents used to live near Philadelphia, it gave our whole family great pleasure to see Penn State wrap up the Florida State "criminoles" in the 2006 Orange Bowl.I'm not a big college football fan, but I am a big Penn State fan as it is my alma mater. I was happy to see JoePa take out Bobby Bowden and the "Free Shoes University" Seminoles (Steve Spurrier's nickname for them, not mine) in that game. I still wonder what might have been had Michigan coach Lloyd Carr not gotten the refs to add two seconds to the clock for no reason whatsoever earlier that season, costing PSU the game and a shot at the national championship.

I'm a Steelers fan myself. It's on. :p

The Steelers probably won't be too great this year, however. We were plagued by numerous... mechanical errors last year (as well as the loss of Faneca from last year to this year).

We really need to do AGN Fantasy Football this year. That would be excellent.You're a Stillers fan and not a Brownies fan living in NE Ohio? How do you pull that off? That's gotta be like being a Cowgirls, Gnats, or Foreskins fan around here.

I've never done fantasy football before. I'd be up for trying it this year. Anybody here have experience running a league? I guess we'd have our draft over chat or something like that.

Beldaran
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Any ornithologist will tell you that eagles are notoriously stupid.

I hate the e-gulls. They are my least favorite team in the NFL.

AlphaDawg
04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Ornithologist?

(consults Wikipedia...)

Oh.

Sorry, as a Magic: the Gathering player whenever I see ornith-anything all I can think of are these things:

http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/AQ/en-us/Card1016.jpg

Now that I think of it maybe that's how they got their name! :shocking:

So anyway, what's with the Eagles hatorade?

Beldaran
04-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid annoy me for some reason. [shrug]

Zaphod Q. IX
04-16-2008, 01:58 AM
As a Cincinnati Bengals fan, I'm excited about this season. No matter what everybody else says about their chances. ;)

The game I'm most looking forward to is Cincinnati vs. Cleveland at home on Sunday September 28th. I'll be hosting a football party that day.

Hopefully, the bungles won't re-appear this year. I like it when Cincinnati is in the playoffs.

:D

Pineconn
04-16-2008, 05:17 PM
I can tolerate the Bengals (and the Ravens). I'm just waiting for a hardcore Browns fan to pop onto this thread. ;)

You're a Stillers fan and not a Brownies fan living in NE Ohio? How do you pull that off?

There's a surprising number of Steelers fans around where I live. I'd say it's 35% Steelers, 50% Browns, and 15% other. It's still pretty rough. :p

I've never done fantasy football before. I'd be up for trying it this year. Anybody here have experience running a league? I guess we'd have our draft over chat or something like that.

Neither have I. I think Shadowblazer tried to get an AGN Fantasy Football league running a few years ago, but it wasn't too popular.

Starkist
04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Go Seahawks! Tough schedule this year. Four trips to the east coast. Seattle almost always loses those. Dallas on Thanksgiving is cool. Patriots have to come face the crowd at Qwest.

I predict yet another division title. Then they will win every home playoff game they get. :)

AlphaDawg
04-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid annoy me for some reason. [shrug]They annoy me too! (Only sometimes of course, like the last five minutes of SB XXXIX :angry:, not all the time.) I guess the difference between us may be a matter of perspective. I've actively followed the Eagles for probably close to 20 years now and have seen far worse. Names such as Norman Braman, Rich Kotite, Bobby Hoying, and Mike Mamula (taken instead of that scrub Warren Sapp) immediately come to mind. Compared to these, Reid, McNabb, and Jeff Lurie (the current owner) are the gold standard.

Beldaran
04-16-2008, 11:27 PM
I have a personality disorder of some kind where I arbitrarily hate things for no reason. The Eagles are that thing right now. It will probably go away. I actually liked the eagles when they had their old uniforms. I don't like the new shiny dark green color. I think that might have something to do with it.

Starkist
04-16-2008, 11:52 PM
I have a personality disorder of some kind where I arbitrarily hate things for no reason.

Woah, I would never have guessed! :)

Ah, the Eagles. Remember Monday night, 2005? Seahawks in town? Man was that a great game or what.

Beldaran
04-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Woah, I would never have guessed!t.

hah. I don't hate religion for no reason. I hate it for lots of reasons! :eek:

AlphaDawg
04-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Woah, I would never have guessed! :)

Ah, the Eagles. Remember Monday night, 2005? Seahawks in town? Man was that a great game or what.Oh hell yes. I was at that game! The only thing worse than the weather that night was the Eagles downright offensive offense. The halftime ceremony (honoring the late great Reggie White and retiring his number) was easily the highlight of that game.

(That reminds me, add Mike McMahon to my list above...)

(Also, thank God for the Packers losing 48-3 to the Ravens later that year, saving the Eagles the dubious honor of the worst ABC MNF loss ever. I suppose they still suffered the worst whitewash though...)

I was actually more pissed at last year's loss vs. the Seabirds. At least in '05 we knew the Eagles weren't going anywhere. Last year's game they were fresh off that exhilarating close-but-no-cigar performance against the Pats. Despite A.J. Feeley's three INTs they still could have (in fact, SHOULD HAVE) won it after Brian Westbrook's awesome punt return (flashbacks to MM III there). But then Feeley threw another pass to his #1 receiver that day, Lofa Freakin' Tatupu. I was so pissed after that throw I almost put a hole through my bedroom door. That all but killed the Iggles post-season hopes last year.

Master Ghaleon
04-20-2008, 02:11 AM
I predict yet another division title. Then they will win every home playoff game they get. :)

Your seahawks play in the cakewalk division :P Of course you will make it into the playoffs.

Me being a skins fan. I do not expect much, maybe a .500 season

AlphaDawg
04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Seahawks cut Alexander (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3361271)

If I were a Seahawks fan, I'd be pretty pissed. Sure, Alexander's been plagued by injuries the past couple of years, but he's still better than Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett combined IMO.

Watch Donovan McNabb this year to see how one can come back after a couple injury-plagued years.

Starkist, your thoughts?

Beldaran
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Seahawks cut Alexander (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3361271)

If I were a Seahawks fan, I'd be pretty pissed. Sure, Alexander's been plagued by injuries the past couple of years, but he's still better than Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett combined IMO.

Watch Donovan McNabb this year to see how one can come back after a couple injury-plagued years.

Starkist, your thoughts?

I can have thoughts too, since I lived in Seattle for 20 years. As far as Shaun Fallexander is concerned, good riddance. What a fall-down artist. I like power runners. If you look at him the wrong way, he crumples into a ball and just takes a knee. His 28 touchdown season was an aberration in my opinion.

Starkist
04-22-2008, 07:48 PM
We all knew it was coming as soon as the Seahawks signed Duckett and Jones. He's had two subpar years due to injury. Whether he ever regains his MVP form is a big question mark. If they had kept him, it may have hampered the team as they tried to return to the Super Bowl. Of course, now he's primed for a monster year in some other city. ;)

I don't mind it so much, though I wonder who will be the face of the team now that he's gone.

Beldaran
04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
I don't mind it so much, though I wonder who will be the face of the team now that he's gone.

Hasselbeck and Tatupu! :)

Pineconn
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM

I'm making a shot in the dark by assuming that it won't be Charlie Frye. ;)