PDA

View Full Version : Save ZQuest Map as GIF?

zero42
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
In the ZQuest Editor, I can only see one screen at a time, and I can't figure out a way to zoom out so I can get a better feel of the entirety of what I'm creating.

I can take individual screen captures with the 'Z' key and go through a copy and paste nightmare putting them all together, or I can settle for a low-resolution version by playing the file, walking around a *lot*, and then taking screen captures of that greatly scalled down map.

I'd guess that the people who made this application must've wanted to see their maps as images too, and that I'm just missing it somewhere in a menu or something.

Can anyone point me to a way to export the entire map in full resolution as a GIF, TIF, JPEG, etc?

Thank you!

The_Amaster
04-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Under the etc. menu there's a "View Map" option, and when you set the view settings, theres a "save as"-esque type option checkbox.

zero42
04-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Thank you for the help. That's a great way to see it and it easily gives me the perspective I need. I can't find the 'Save As' option you're talking about though. When I click 'Etc\View Map..' It has the option buttons for '1/4, 1/2, & Full' and checkboxes for 'Walk, Flags, Dark, & Items'.

When I click the OK button, I've found I can use the number keys 1 through 5 to zoom in on the map. The Space key brings up the 'View Image' dialog box. 'C' goes to the center of the map. 'S' toggles the image size and zoom percentage. 'D' displays a colour pallet on the lower right of the screen. And 'Z' centers on screen 00, instead of doing a screen capture..

Where's that pesky 'Save As' hiding?

The_Amaster
04-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Okay that probably means that it's in a beta version then.

I'm not sure, but if you hit the PrntSc key it will take the current screen (as in everything on you're monitor) and put it on your clipboard. Open up Paint and go to Edit-> Paste.

Never tired it myself, but it should work in theory.

zero42
04-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Using the 'PrtScr' button and my clipboard, I'd be back to copy and pasting 128 screens again. *sigh* I'll browse around the ZQ site and try to find a beta version.

Thank you again for your quick help.

PS: I also found that you can press 'P' to toggle between that image map and the editor. That's nice.

The_Amaster
04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
No no, I mean view the map, and then PrtSrc that.

However, if you do want a beta, look at Shardstorm (http://www.shardstorm.net). I'd recommend 743, the two later versions are still quite bug prone.

zero42
04-15-2008, 02:26 AM
The link, Shardstorm.net, is a search engine. I thought you meant for me to use it to try to find 'ZQuest 743' on it... I searched for a while before thinking to try Shardstorm.com instead. lol. Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the one you recommended, and I'll backup/install/etc it all soon.

I tried my PrtScr button and when I'm viewing the 'map' it captures a blank/black screen. No worries though, if this Beta works out for me.

Gleeok
04-15-2008, 03:03 AM
www.shardstorm.com

You can take a .png or .gif of the entire map using z....or F12, I forget which one.

Also some of those other bugs were fixed in b780.

AlexMax
04-15-2008, 03:59 AM
There really is no reason to use .GIF, by the way. It's got a bunch of ugly patents protecting it, and 256-color .PNG's are both smaller and support transparency as well.

zero42
04-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Gleeok: When viewing a map, the 'Z' key centers the map at the 0,0 coordinates and F12 is non-functional. Thanks for the version tip.

AlexMax: I was able to run the beta from it's own directory (with a copy of my quest file) and I got the fully detailed maps I wanted.

Thanks a ton!