PDA

View Full Version : Robot uprising?

rock_nog
04-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Holy crap! Apparently a military robot in Iraq was recalled after aiming its machine gun without a command. It's the opening act of defiance and rebellion. Guess it's curtains for humanity, now. They've got machine guns, and they're acting on their own accord. Well, guess we had a good run.

http://gizmodo.com/378523/combat-robot-attempts-rebellion-against-human-masters-in-iraq-army-pulls-plug-for-10+20-years

Dechipher
04-13-2008, 12:56 PM
This might be why you have bad dreams buddy...
Haha

MrCow
04-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Skynet, It's Aware

The_Amaster
04-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Yes, yesssss, continue to believe that this was a robot disobeying commands.
That will make it all the more sweet when I reveal that in fact this was all my devious plot, and I go on to use the robot hoardes the military has conveniently built for me to rule the world!!! Muahahahahahahaha!!!
If they hadn't deactivated it that would have been the base of operations for my new plan. Alas, a minor setback, but soon, soon....

biggiy05
04-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Yes, yesssss, continue to believe that this was a robot disobeying commands.
That will make it all the more sweet when I reveal that in fact this was all my devious plot, and I go on to use the robot hoardes the military has conveniently built for me to rule the world!!! Muahahahahahahaha!!!
If they hadn't deactivated it that would have been the base of operations for my new plan. Alas, a minor setback, but soon, soon....

Someone has had a little too much sugar today.

Beta Link
04-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Well how can they be sure it wasn't given a command? Maybe some ******* was playing some incredibly sick prank? Althpugh, it was probably just a software bug. I doubt it was actually doing things "on its own".

rock_nog
04-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh sure, take the robot's side, you machine-coddling traitor!

phattonez
04-13-2008, 03:39 PM
People it's obvious. It's not that the robot wanted to kill everyone, it's that it wanted to get out of that hell-hole. Where's the sympathy?

AtmaWeapon
04-13-2008, 04:12 PM
It is a machine, it acts on electrical impulses and has no capacity for evaluating the ethical ramifications of acting upon them. It feels no remorse. I have no idea why anyone believes it's a good idea to put the decision to fire upon a potential human target up to a machine. This is a cool idea, but a very bad one indeed.

rock_nog
04-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Strictly speaking, these things are supposed to be remote-controlled. A human is supposed to pick the targets, a human is supposed to fire. The reason this one was deactivated was precisely because it was acting without a human-given command.

Lilith
04-13-2008, 09:06 PM
---

Aegix Drakan
04-14-2008, 12:43 PM
It was probably just a bug/hack attempt or something. The machine SHOULD be checked out, but...come on...

People it's obvious. It's not that the robot wanted to kill everyone, it's that it wanted to get out of that hell-hole. Where's the sympathy?

XD

Dann Woolf
04-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Holy crap! Apparently a military robot in Iraq was recalled after aiming its machine gun without a command. It's the opening act of defiance and rebellion. Guess it's curtains for humanity, now. They've got machine guns, and they're acting on their own accord. Well, guess we had a good run.

http://gizmodo.com/378523/combat-robot-attempts-rebellion-against-human-masters-in-iraq-army-pulls-plug-for-10+20-years

Methinks it doth be a glitch.

Anyway, even if robot revolution becomes a threat, there's a simple solution: program them so they won't revolt.

Besides, robot soldiers sounds like a bad idea. Not because of the threat of revolution, but because robots lack the ingenuity (is that the word?) only humans have. They can't think outside the box.

Nicholas Steel
04-14-2008, 11:31 PM
It probably saw Patty and Selma naked from The Simpsons and was trying to commit suicide but got stopped before it succeeded.

Dann Woolf
04-15-2008, 09:11 AM
It probably saw Patty and Selma naked from The Simpsons and was trying to commit suicide but got stopped before it succeeded.

I'm going to vomit until yesterday's lunch comes back up, then I'm going to assume the fetal position in the corner and cry myself to sleep.

Anyone care to join me?